Novel excerpts?

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Novel excerpts?

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

You could add, in the creative writing section, an area for people to display excerpts of their novel writing. For those of us who don't write poetry or short stories, but want to share. Creative original works: Novel excerpts.

People could share a scene they just wrote that they haven't perfected yet, or a scene from a previously-published book, or their first pages of an attempt at novel-length writing, etc. Or, like, "What do you think of this idea for a book? Here's a clip or a summary," That sort of thing.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Great idea !!!

I don't write novels but I would certainly love to read excerpts from the works of other board members.

I second the motion!
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Hey, thanks, DATo!!
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

Great idea! This site is becoming as much of a creative community as a reading one and it's really a pleasure to witness. However, I wonder whether it might be useful simply changing the "short stories" to "prose fiction", which would encompass both this and the short stories. Just a thought :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

ryanj1 wrote:Great idea! This site is becoming as much of a creative community as a reading one and it's really a pleasure to witness. However, I wonder whether it might be useful simply changing the "short stories" to "prose fiction", which would encompass both this and the short stories. Just a thought :)
:text-yeahthat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

ryanj1 wrote:Great idea! This site is becoming as much of a creative community as a reading one and it's really a pleasure to witness. However, I wonder whether it might be useful simply changing the "short stories" to "prose fiction", which would encompass both this and the short stories. Just a thought :)
I am not a writer, but I agree that this site seems to be a great community for writers, in addition to readers. Ryanj1, I like your idea to combine the short story and novel excerpts into one topic.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
WilliamsQ

Post by WilliamsQ »

I love reading people's stories! Lol I would probably read and compliment and critique all day.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

We would love that, WilliamsQ!

Thanks for commenting everyone. Your idea to combine it with the short stories isn't too shabby! That could work, I suppose! :-)
DATo

Post by DATo »

Great idea ryanj1. I saw this done at another website. The posters would simply put the title of the work in the subject box and then in parentheses mention what type of prose it is.

Title of Story (short story)

Title of Story (Novella)

Title of Story (2 chapters of novel)

ect.

We already have the slot for 'Creative Original Works: Short Stories' and since excerpts are relatively short anyway I think the parentheses idea would solve the entire problem. If Scott just changed the title of the forum to 'Creative Original Works: Prose', as you suggest, that would open the door to a greater variety of prose contributions.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”