OBC Review Editing

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: OBC Review Editing

Post by gali »

Good idea! :handgestures-thumbup:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I agree, great idea! When I first started editing, I quickly realized there were some words that appeared incorrect (example: she fitted vs. she fit), but were commonly used in other countries. When in doubt, Google can be your friend. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I love it! I think Scott's totally right--there do not seem to be many (or any, really) resources for international editing. I recently checked out a book on editing from the library. I was confused by some of the rules he was putting forth because they contradicted somewhat with some of the things I'd read elsewhere. I started doing some additional research, and I found out the author of this particular book was Australian, and I thought about how difficult it must be to publish something in multiple countries. Starting a discussion here on the site about these issues might lead to a very useful resource for many professionals and non-professionals who are interested in international publishing. :banana-blonde:
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I also think Pasha made some good points in his recent post. We should make allowances for writing style and not be petty. It's good to take everything in consideration.
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

This is a wonderful idea!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

I had a general question in regards to the comments I received about my most recent review and am not sure if it warrants a new thread. This one seems to be along a similar vein, so I thought I'd mention it here...

My most recent review was not my best in terms of grammar/awkward sentences, and I fully understand that part of the commentary I received. However, I also was critiqued on some things that I found to peculiar. For example, I lost points for having my rating at the beginning of the review. I often do this, and have never been penalized for it before. I don't see anything anywhere declaring that it must be at the end, so I found this to be rather subjective.

This was the first of many problems regarding subjectivity with it. I won't list them all here because I'm not sure if this is the right place for it (I can PM them to Scott or start a new thread if necessary!). I understand that one mediocre review isn't the end of the world, and I'm not concerned about my score, but I just felt that the editorial comments were rather unfair and the person seemed to be basing my score off of rules they made up.
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
gali

Post by gali »

Duende Knocking wrote:I had a general question in regards to the comments I received about my most recent review and am not sure if it warrants a new thread. This one seems to be along a similar vein, so I thought I'd mention it here...

My most recent review was not my best in terms of grammar/awkward sentences, and I fully understand that part of the commentary I received. However, I also was critiqued on some things that I found to peculiar. For example, I lost points for having my rating at the beginning of the review. I often do this, and have never been penalized for it before. I don't see anything anywhere declaring that it must be at the end, so I found this to be rather subjective.

This was the first of many problems regarding subjectivity with it. I won't list them all here because I'm not sure if this is the right place for it (I can PM them to Scott or start a new thread if necessary!). I understand that one mediocre review isn't the end of the world, and I'm not concerned about my score, but I just felt that the editorial comments were rather unfair and the person seemed to be basing my score off of rules they made up.
You are right, it doesn't really matter where you place the rate. I don't know what other issues there are, but I suggest you pm Scott about it.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
amybo82

Post by amybo82 »

I think there is a lot of subjectivity that goes into editing the reviews. @Duende Knocking-Like your editor, I was thinking that for some reason, the rating had to be presented in the last paragraph. However, I looked back at the guidelines, and I haven't been able to find anything that says it has to be at the end! Maybe Scott can shed some light on this one! Also, I think this thread is a good place to discuss questions like what you've posed. I started the thread with that in mind.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I don't think there is any rule about where to state the rating. However, what if there was a lot of opinion given about the story before the summary. That would seem topsy turvy to me. I have seen reviews where the reviewer starts talking about how much they loved the book and gave a detailed opinion of what they liked or didn't like about the book. Then they would present the summary. That seems out of whack to me because I have no idea what they are talking about when reading the opinion first. For example, why are they saying that John is such a wonderful character - who is John? What are they talking about when they say how touched they were by the romantic scenes. Are they talking about a married couple, an illicit affair, people who find each other in a nursing home after being apart for 50 years? I don't mean to exaggerate, but you get my point.

Duende Knocking, I am not trying to say that's what happened in the case.
gali

Post by gali »

There is no rule about where to place the rate, nor does it matter really. I don't think points should be taken for the placement of the rate either.
A retired Admin/Mod

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

There is no rule about the rating being in the last paragraph.

I think it is just common because it usually flows a lot better like that. The rating and general level recommendation is essentially the conclusion of the review. Conclusions usually go at the end. That's just my guess.

I do think it is good for the editors to slightly adjust the scores based on their overall subjective opinion of how pleasant the review is to read and how much they like the style of the review and the kind of thing. If editors don't like a certain idiosyncrasy that isn't against the rules, I don't think it's bad for that to affect their score by a point and for the editor to mention it. Such a small thing in and of itself and such a small change in the rating would have little affect on the total score in itself. Sometimes the reviewer can disagree and disregard such minor feedback, especially if the overall editor rating is very good. It's a waste of everyone's time for the editors to not try really hard to provide some constructive criticism no matter how great the review is. For great reviews, this will start to mean the little constructive criticism offered will be very subjective and minor. In a deeper sense, that itself can be regarded as a compliment.

This is also why--in the reviewer scoring formula--the editors do not have to give a reviewer's reviews perfect scores for the reviewer to get a full points for review quality.

Similarly, it is why a reviewer does not need to get 100 out of 100 points to be level 6.

Nothing is perfect. Not me, not the reviews, not the editors, and not the formula. :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
TarinaJ
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Ophelia's Muse</a>
Currently Reading: Counting Stars
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarinaj.html
Latest Review: "People Centricity" by Stephen Hewett
Publishing Contest Votes: 6

Post by TarinaJ »

I was looking for a forum to ask, "Who do I contact if I disagree with an editor's comments?" and this seems to be the best topic to do so. To whom should I direct the question? HOW do I direct the question? I understand editors don't want to quibble about every little detail, but if they are wrong shouldn't we reviewers have a forum in which to dispute their feedback?

Thank you,
~TJ
Latest Review: "People Centricity" by Stephen Hewett
gali

Post by gali »

tj-avid-reader wrote:I was looking for a forum to ask, "Who do I contact if I disagree with an editor's comments?" and this seems to be the best topic to do so. To whom should I direct the question? HOW do I direct the question?

Thank you,
~TJ
You should contact Scott by pm.
A retired Admin/Mod

amybo82

Post by amybo82 »

I'm kind of obsessive about my reviews. I hate it when I get lowered ratings, but I get it. Sometimes the other editors don't like my writing style, and sometimes I miss technical elements in my proofread. One thing I do not get, though, is when editors are pedantic or patronizing. I am a professional freelance writer and editor. I don't need anyone talking down to me like I don't know what I'm doing. I think it's fine to point out mistakes and errors. However, that needs to be done in a polite and respectful way. As Scott mentioned, none of us are perfect, and we're going to make mistakes. I think it's important to remember that, as editors, we are trying to help people get better, not shame them for doing something wrong. TJ-I hope your issue gets resolved. Scott is great to contact with any questions or concerns. He always shows great care for the reviewers and authors!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

amybo82 wrote:I'm kind of obsessive about my reviews. I hate it when I get lowered ratings, but I get it. Sometimes the other editors don't like my writing style, and sometimes I miss technical elements in my proofread. One thing I do not get, though, is when editors are pedantic or patronizing. I am a professional freelance writer and editor. I don't need anyone talking down to me like I don't know what I'm doing. I think it's fine to point out mistakes and errors. However, that needs to be done in a polite and respectful way. As Scott mentioned, none of us are perfect, and we're going to make mistakes. I think it's important to remember that, as editors, we are trying to help people get better, not shame them for doing something wrong. TJ-I hope your issue gets resolved. Scott is great to contact with any questions or concerns. He always shows great care for the reviewers and authors!
I agree that there is a respective way to point out errors. As for writing style, there's constructive criticism and then there's just plain picky and patronizing. I once had another editor (I am also an editor) edit one of my reviews and say that it was very well written (yay!). Then at the end of the edit, he/she said it's well written, but I used simple, basic words. Huh? So...as I previously said, there's constructive and then there's patronizing. By the way, the particular review I am referring to became wildly popular with respect to views and comments, so go figure. I guess simple and basic wasn't so bad after all. :)

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”