Adding books from Goodreads to here

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

alm69al1982
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alm69al1982.html
Reading Device: B007G7CO2C

Adding books from Goodreads to here

Post by alm69al1982 »

I just joined the club and my poor little bookshelves are empty :? Is there anyway to link to Goodreads and have it add to these bookshelves. I read 252 books just last year. I don't have the time or patience to add all the books I've read! :shock:
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Is there a way to export from Goodreads? If you can export it to some kind of text or CSV file, I could make some software that can import that. There is also the mass-adder if the list is already in the proper format.

-- 14 May 2015 10:01 am --

I have looked up some instructions on how to export the books and will send you a PM.

If anyone else is currently interested in being able to import their books from Goodreads, please send me a PM and I can use your list as well for development and testing to create this feature. I very much want to add this feature as soon as possible.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

@Scott

I just checked, and there was a way to export a .cvs file. I would kind of be interested in doing this, if you want to use me as your guinea pig.

-- 15 May 2015, 20:45 --

Oh, wait, you said PM in your message :doh:
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Okay, I have created the tool to import from Goodreads:

http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelves/import.php

:)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

:text-thankyoublue:
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
zanderlyrose
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanderlyrose.html
Latest Review: "Sweet Sleep" by Kim Cormack
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by zanderlyrose »

Thank you I will use this feature as soon as I get my goodreads lists updated.
Latest Review: "Sweet Sleep" by Kim Cormack
Freida Livery
Bookshelf Size: 2897
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Freida Livery »

After importing my book files from Goodreads, I have a real mess on my hands. Out of 2200 or so books,
1400 of them have "genre" missing, over half don't have cover art. Many of the ratings have been delegated to a "2" although looking through the list there are books there that I know I ranked higher than a 2.

I don't know if I will find the time to go through my entire list and change all the ones that need fixing to get a "pretty' bookshelf.

Edited to add: The "Quick Genre Adder" button doesn't seem to be working for me. I went through and changed the first 200 books on my list and the changes didn't stick.
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like."
— Lemony Snicket
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Freida Livery wrote:After importing my book files from Goodreads, I have a real mess on my hands. Out of 2200 or so books,
1400 of them have "genre" missing, over half don't have cover art. Many of the ratings have been delegated to a "2" although looking through the list there are books there that I know I ranked higher than a 2.

I don't know if I will find the time to go through my entire list and change all the ones that need fixing to get a "pretty' bookshelf.

Edited to add: The "Quick Genre Adder" button doesn't seem to be working for me. I went through and changed the first 200 books on my list and the changes didn't stick.
The ratings here are on a scale of 4 not 5, so when imported from Goodreads it is adjusted. The way it is adjusted should have been explained on the import page.

When you add the genre information using the tool, you do have to click submit at the bottom of the page for it to save. Do you remember if you did that or not?

Delilah13
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Delilah13 »

This sounds like a great idea! I have never even thought of that.
Freida Livery

Post by Freida Livery »

When you add the genre information using the tool, you do have to click submit at the bottom of the page for it to save. Do you remember if you did that or not?
Yes, after spending time clicking on the first 200 or so, I scrolled down and click the "submit" button. :?
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like."
— Lemony Snicket
Mellient
Currently Reading: Marked
Bookshelf Size: 418
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellient.html

Post by Mellient »

Thank you all for the wonderful information! Very much appreciated!
Freida Livery

Post by Freida Livery »

Is it possible for the Admins to delete my "bookshelves" It's a mess ...multiple listings of the same books, 2300 genres missing, etc...It will drive me crazy every time I come here. I tried correcting some of the problems, but just made the problem worse.
Thanks for your help.
— Lemony Snicket
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I don't think it's possible to delete them, but, as it's been brought to our attention, bsmods will be able to take care of the issues. It will take a little while, but it will eventually be ordered :)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Freida Livery

Post by Freida Livery »

Gravy wrote:I don't think it's possible to delete them, but, as it's been brought to our attention, bsmods will be able to take care of the issues. It will take a little while, but it will eventually be ordered :)
I'll be patient..thanks
— Lemony Snicket
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I don't remember offhand what raw information is actually contained in the Goodreads export/import file, but I bet my importer could be improved to bring over more data. Even if this is not the desired date (e.g. genre, cover image) or even if Goodreads doesn't have that data, whatever data is in the file (such as maybe ISBN or ASIN) could then be used to indirectly get the desired automatically at some point. I will look into it. :)

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”