Feeling bad about writing a negative review

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Feeling bad about writing a negative review

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

So I'm new on here and just finished reading my first book to review. I feel bad because my review is mostly negative. The book has potential but there were too many issues to give it a better rating. How do you handle leaving negative reviews?
Also, I'm feeling a bit unsure about sending in my review as I am not a grammar major and I'm not sure if I have comma's all in their correct places. Is it hard to write an acceptable review? I think I'm following all the guidelines.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

No need to feel bad. The review does not have to be positive and must be a honest one for the process to work. Please read the Review Team guideless for more details.

Follow the guidelines and spellchecked/proofread your review and you will do fine. Good luck!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

You might try reading some reviews left by other members as well, to get a good sense of how to approach of negative review without being too mean. I personally always try to make it a point not to attack the author in any way and to stick my focus entirely on the book.
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

I dont have perfect grammar either. This is the one thing i struggle with the most when writing my reviews, but i have managed to have a few published. Every review i have submitted has been proof read multiple times but still they werent perfect according to the editors comments. Be aware the editors comments can be pretty harsh, i wasnt aware of this and it really struck me after my first review. Im not sure of the rules since they are not written but you are usually not allowed to fix errors in your reviews once it is rejected. Be honest in your review and do your best. I am not trying to discourage just trying to let you know
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Try to keep your personal tastes out of a negative review. Here's a few examples of what NOT to write:

- I didn't like the story because I don't like ghosts.
- I like to read short stories; this book was a saga so I hated it.
- This book is a boy meets girl story and I don't like romance books.
- The main character was murdered in the beginning of the book. I hated the book because I don't like violence.

Here's a more objective way of stating the comments I just wrote:

- The ghost appearing in the kitchen was too "over the top" and didn't have any relevance to the plot.
- The pacing of the plot was too slow, particularly in the middle of the story.
- The way the couple met was too contrived. It wasn't believable that the girl fell out of the window into his arms.
- The violence in the beginning of the book was overdone. The murder was just stuck in the plot for no reason other than to shock the reader. There is nothing in the rest of the book that even mentions the murder, much less ties it in with the rest of the storyline.

OK, I think I've had too much coffee this morning. :roll: :roll:
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

TLGabelman wrote:I dont have perfect grammar either. This is the one thing i struggle with the most when writing my reviews, but i have managed to have a few published. Every review i have submitted has been proof read multiple times but still they werent perfect according to the editors comments. Be aware the editors comments can be pretty harsh, i wasnt aware of this and it really struck me after my first review. Im not sure of the rules since they are not written but you are usually not allowed to fix errors in your reviews once it is rejected. Be honest in your review and do your best. I am not trying to discourage just trying to let you know
Thanks for the heads up. I will try my best and hope it goes well.

Thanks everyone else for the advice. It is helpful.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

A long time ago I worked as a manager on a canvass. I think part of my training for training was actually common to basic principles of training. I also did a lot of training in a restaurant for serving which was as wonderfully glorious as it sounds. Training is at root really just telling people what they are doing wrong in hopes that you can get them to do it right. The principle we learned and used, and which I have seen used in all sorts of other training environments, is this: You sandwich the negative between two positives. For instance, "You did a great job smiling to the customer. That was perfect. You did forget to ring in his peas, though. It's important to ring in the peas so he pays the right total price. Then you bagged the peas really well!" I think this same principle that is used in professional training environments can be adapted by a reviewer who does not want to be emotionally hurtful to an author (or any reviewer reviewing anybody's product or service).

Other than that, I want to reiterate what was said by @ALynnPowers - Don't personally attack the author. Explain what could have been better about the story and book instead of making any negative comments about the author and author's talent.

-- 17 Mar 2015 12:04 pm --
TLGabelman wrote:Im not sure of the rules since they are not written
When you are on the Review Team Page, you can click "Guidelines" in the navigation. All the rules for the review team should be there. If any rules or instructions are missing or not there, please let me know and I will adjust the page to be more clear for anyone and everyone reading it.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
TLGabelman

Post by TLGabelman »

Scott i was speaking solely about the rules regarding rejected reviews and being allowed to rewrite your reviews after the editors comments. I feel like all other rules are very clearly stated.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I'm sorry if it is hard to find or not clear. That policy is in the guidelines under the section "What Happens Next". Specifically, it's the second paragraph of that section, starting with "If the review is not written according..."
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

TLGabelman

Post by TLGabelman »

I have been allowed to rewrite a review before. Although things may have changed since my first reviews. I make no assumption as to why or when this is allowed. I hope Rahaelamb1 has great success and a completely pleasant experience.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Scott wrote:A long time ago I worked as a manager on a canvass. I think part of my training for training was actually common to basic principles of training. I also did a lot of training in a restaurant for serving which was as wonderfully glorious as it sounds. Training is at root really just telling people what they are doing wrong in hopes that you can get them to do it right. The principle we learned and used, and which I have seen used in all sorts of other training environments, is this: You sandwich the negative between two positives. For instance, "You did a great job smiling to the customer. That was perfect. You did forget to ring in his peas, though. It's important to ring in the peas so he pays the right total price. Then you bagged the peas really well!" I think this same principle that is used in professional training environments can be adapted by a reviewer who does not want to be emotionally hurtful to an author (or any reviewer reviewing anybody's product or service).

Other than that, I want to reiterate what was said by @ALynnPowers - Don't personally attack the author. Explain what could have been better about the story and book instead of making any negative comments about the author and author's talent.

-- 17 Mar 2015 12:04 pm --
TLGabelman wrote:Im not sure of the rules since they are not written
When you are on the Review Team Page, you can click "Guidelines" in the navigation. All the rules for the review team should be there. If any rules or instructions are missing or not there, please let me know and I will adjust the page to be more clear for anyone and everyone reading it.
Good advice about sandwiching a negative between positives.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

TLGabelman wrote:I have been allowed to rewrite a review before. Although things may have changed since my first reviews. I make no assumption as to why or when this is allowed. I hope Rahaelamb1 has great success and a completely pleasant experience.
Not only was that indeed an exception to my general procedures, but--more in regard to the guidelines--the review you edited had not been rejected. I let you edit it instead of rejecting in the first place due to special circumstances and because I thought it was publishable with some slight changes.

TLGabelman

Post by TLGabelman »

Again i wish Rachaelamb1 the best in her review writing. I have enjoyed reading the selections i have reviewed and i wish her the same.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:So I'm new on here and just finished reading my first book to review. I feel bad because my review is mostly negative. The book has potential but there were too many issues to give it a better rating. How do you handle leaving negative reviews?
Also, I'm feeling a bit unsure about sending in my review as I am not a grammar major and I'm not sure if I have comma's all in their correct places. Is it hard to write an acceptable review? I think I'm following all the guidelines.
@Rachaelamb1
You're timing is kind of great. I just had to write a negative review myself! It was the first time I have ever given a rating that low before! I was kind of clueless! But, even though I didn't like the book and had a lot of negative to say about it, I could still find something positive to say. Well... I tried to make it sound positive anyway, but it will still kind of negative... 8)
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

My first review on this site is a negative one. I tried really hard to find something positive to say but there honestly wasn't anything. I agree that the author should not be attacked. I was triggered by the book I read and so angry at some of the content. It took me a while to calm down enough to write the review. In the FAQ section it is suggested to write your review and constantly save and edit it. Great advice. I definitely used it to write my review.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”