Feeling bad about writing a negative review

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Re: Feeling bad about writing a negative review

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Wow. I haven't checked this post in a few days. Thank you everyone for the advice. My first review was accepted. Yay! And I was able to list the positives and negatives without being too harsh (I think). Onto the next book :)
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I would like to know how negative we can get in the reviews? I know attacking the author is wrong but if the writing is horrible can we just come right out and say... this was horrible? I try to be nice and say something positive and then launch into the negative but am I being too nice then? It is still an honest review but more diplomatic then I would be if I told a friend about the book.

I would appreciate thoughts on this and how the forum leaders feel about it.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I think the word "horrible" can be too harsh in a review. I think you are on the right track with trying to be diplomatic. I find it's good to stick to specific elements of the story and why they didn't work. Examples: lack of character development, awkward phrases, weak plot, too many plot holes, storyline was confusing, etc. A word like "horrible" seems mean-spirited in a review. Just my opinion. I try to look at it as if I were the one received the criticism. I would handle it better if the reviewer gave specifics on what didn't work in the book, rather than just saying "I hated it", "the plot was horrible", "I couldn't stand the characters", etc.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

bookowlie wrote:I think the word "horrible" can be too harsh in a review. I think you are on the right track with trying to be diplomatic. I find it's good to stick to specific elements of the story and why they didn't work. Examples: lack of character development, awkward phrases, weak plot, too many plot holes, storyline was confusing, etc. A word like "horrible" seems mean-spirited in a review. Just my opinion. I try to look at it as if I were the one received the criticism. I would handle it better if the reviewer gave specifics on what didn't work in the book, rather than just saying "I hated it", "the plot was horrible", "I couldn't stand the characters", etc.
You're right. Being more specific to the actual book's weaknesses rather than being catty and out right mean.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

The funny thing is that, even when you are diplomatic, authors are often very sensitive to the slightest bit of criticism. I once had an author get really annoyed when I pointed out something I didn't like, even though I generally enjoyed the book and gave it 3 stars.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Yeah, I was once told by a "fan" of the author, "If you don't like it, all you have to say is that it's not your cup of tea," and basically not explain why I didn't like it.... (all of my reasons included an unedited manuscript containing a massive number of errors, major plot holes, inaccurate information, Americans speaking British English [my super pet peeve!], etc.). I didn't even reply... but, you know... we're kind of required to say why we gave it the rating that we did. Saying "This book was not my cup of tea" is the like worst possible review ever. And actually, that book kind of WAS my cup of tea; it was just REALLY poorly written.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

bookowlie wrote:I find it's good to stick to specific elements of the story and why they didn't work. Examples: lack of character development, awkward phrases, weak plot, too many plot holes, storyline was confusing, etc.
^This :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

TLGabelman wrote:I dont have perfect grammar either. This is the one thing i struggle with the most when writing my reviews, but i have managed to have a few published. Every review i have submitted has been proof read multiple times but still they werent perfect according to the editors comments. Be aware the editors comments can be pretty harsh, i wasnt aware of this and it really struck me after my first review. Im not sure of the rules since they are not written but you are usually not allowed to fix errors in your reviews once it is rejected. Be honest in your review and do your best. I am not trying to discourage just trying to let you know

I also struggle a bit with the grammar, and I used to dread the editors comments. I think I need a refresher course in grammer, especially about where the comma's go! :D

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
TarinaJ
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Ophelia's Muse</a>
Currently Reading: Counting Stars
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarinaj.html
Latest Review: "People Centricity" by Stephen Hewett
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 6

Post by TarinaJ »

@Rachaelamb1,
My first review was negative as well, which I felt horrible about. I picked a short story as my first review thinking it would be a good way to get my feet wet with regard to OBC's process. Well, that backfired - not from the sense of learning the process, but that I didn't enjoy the book. I tried to remain objective and provide specific examples of why I didn't like the story (as the wise bookowlie suggested). At the end of the day, it is your personal review. Someone else may love the book. All you can do is be honest in your assessment and let others make theirs.

~TJ
Latest Review: "People Centricity" by Stephen Hewett
Ramona
Favorite Author: Too many...
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramona.html
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Ramona »

In one of my early reviews, I rated the book as low as possible, not because I didn't like the story, but because of very poor (seemingly lack of any) proofreading/editing! There was something that needed correcting on almost every single page. The story had great potential. There were a few other issues, but minor in comparison to the grammatical issue! Some of it could have been typographical errors, but I just felt I could not reccommend the book in its present condition. I felt really bad about it, but as a grammar freak, I didn't see how I could do otherwise. Living and learning... Well, now I might give it a 2 with some caution to a potential reader. The author did have a good plot. Although the storyline could have been improved upon in a few places, it was good idea and did have a lot of good points. The grammatical and punctuation errors were in excess. What to do? I'm learning about the review process as I go. Well, it's too late for that one, but I'm proceeding with more caution, while still giving an honest review about the books I read in the future.
Numbers 6:24-26 The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”