Historical fiction?

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

debbiebee
Favorite Book: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 4

Historical fiction?

Post by debbiebee »

As a newbie, who loves this site, hope I can express an opinion. In the category fiction forum, why no historical fiction? I adore this genre, was brought up reading my Mum's Nora Lofts' books, and now worship at the shrine of St Philippa of Gregory! Again, sorry for being a bolshie new girl
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I already plan to add that genre, per the following topic: http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewto ... =3&t=24722

Still, thank you for sharing the suggestion.

I will do this shortly.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
debbiebee
Favorite Book: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by debbiebee »

That's brilliant. I look forward to expressing my boring opinions on it!!
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

I was curious about the Historical Fiction section and thought I'd build off of this thread (hope that's acceptable).

The majority of the historical fiction I read are also mysteries - if I were to write a review for one such book, which genre should take priority? I'm not referring to the ones that take place in the past for the sake of doing so, but the ones where the time period (and the real people who appear as characters sometimes) are critical to the mystery.

Essentially, is the historical fiction section just for general historical fiction?
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Duende Knocking wrote:I was curious about the Historical Fiction section and thought I'd build off of this thread (hope that's acceptable).

The majority of the historical fiction I read are also mysteries - if I were to write a review for one such book, which genre should take priority? I'm not referring to the ones that take place in the past for the sake of doing so, but the ones where the time period (and the real people who appear as characters sometimes) are critical to the mystery.

Essentially, is the historical fiction section just for general historical fiction?
It is a judgement call, I think. It depends which genre really takes precedent for that particular book. I'd lean towards Historical Fiction since that seems like it would better identify the book than mystery. I also suggest taking into account how historical it is. Even books set only 25-50 years in the past are considered historical fiction, but if they can better fit in another genre like Mystery than that might be preferred since it is sort of on the border of historical fiction anyway. Alternatively, if the book is set hundreds or thousands of years ago, it seems like that would really be the deciding factor. Similarly, imagine a book instead of being set in the past is set in some far away planet or other realm. Well sure it might be romance too or mystery too, but it's going to be seen as sci-fi/fantasy first. The setting usually seems to trump the plot, I think. That's just my first thoughts. I am interested to see what others think.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I agree with you Scott.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”