Angry, Unprofessional Authors

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Re: Angry, Unprofessional Authors

Post by Scott »

On the other hand, many authors show an amazing amount of dignity and appreciation. For instance, take a look at this recent reply by an author.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

Scott wrote:On the other hand, many authors show an amazing amount of dignity and appreciation. For consider this recent reply by an author.
I was so honored to get that reply!!! I'm still a little giddy actually... I used to review indie video games and this feels similar... I always felt so awesome when I'd contact a developer and get a reply, this feels the same! People who create any form of art and can stand behind it are awesome and should be celebrated!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

CataclysmicKnight wrote:
Scott wrote:On the other hand, many authors show an amazing amount of dignity and appreciation. For consider this recent reply by an author.
I was so honored to get that reply!!! I'm still a little giddy actually... I used to review indie video games and this feels similar... I always felt so awesome when I'd contact a developer and get a reply, this feels the same! People who create any form of art and can stand behind it are awesome and should be celebrated!
Well done!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

That's what I love to see.
I had a similar thing happen on one of my reviews as well. :)
There are decent authors in the world!
Janiac02
Favorite Author: Sarah Woodbury
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: After Cilmeri Series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiac02.html
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
fav_author_id: 3314

Post by Janiac02 »

Wow! This thread is an emotional roller coaster! :laughing-rollingyellow:

The first book I reviewed here was not very well written, though the subject matter was interesting enough. It was very stressful to me for my first review to be negative because I wasn't sure whether I was being constructive enough in my criticism, or providing enough detail about why I decided to rate the book lower. I am trying to get a little better each time I review a book, but I think if I had received a rude, inflammatory remark from the author as my first form of feedback I would have been very intimidated.

I learned quite a bit from paging through negative reviews from some of the more experienced reviewers here. You are a very tactful and perceptive bunch! I also read some negative reviews that were not so constructive, so I suppose there's a lesson to be learned in that as well. Overwhelmingly, though, you all do such a great job at being honest without being rude. I have to agree-- the positive environment is pretty impressive considering this is the internet. I think having moderators that are so involved with discussions helps that as well.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Janiac02 wrote:Wow! This thread is an emotional roller coaster! :laughing-rollingyellow:

The first book I reviewed here was not very well written, though the subject matter was interesting enough. It was very stressful to me for my first review to be negative because I wasn't sure whether I was being constructive enough in my criticism, or providing enough detail about why I decided to rate the book lower. I am trying to get a little better each time I review a book, but I think if I had received a rude, inflammatory remark from the author as my first form of feedback I would have been very intimidated.

I learned quite a bit from paging through negative reviews from some of the more experienced reviewers here. You are a very tactful and perceptive bunch! I also read some negative reviews that were not so constructive, so I suppose there's a lesson to be learned in that as well. Overwhelmingly, though, you all do such a great job at being honest without being rude. I have to agree-- the positive environment is pretty impressive considering this is the internet. I think having moderators that are so involved with discussions helps that as well.
The funny thing is that an author does not know what rating you gave the book, or see the review, when they are given the ending blurb to approve. In one case, I encountered a problem (hence the reason this thread was started) because a system glitch allowed the author to see what rating I had given the book. Once he/she saw that, she went ballistic and disputed the blurb for no reason other than saying she has no interest in what some idiot has to say about her book. Not dispute the accuracy of the blurb, just sour grapes and revenge. It's funny because the author would have had no hint of the rating, based on the ending blurb.

In general, I think most books have some redeeming qualities. It's always nice to also point out the positive elements, if any, in a review, even if the overall rating is low and I have give constructive criticism. I believe in building people up, not crushing their spirit.
Janiac02

Post by Janiac02 »

Ah, I read that, but I guess I didn't fully understand the process. That makes her attitude so much more obnoxious, although I'm not sure it could be anything but that. There's really no excuse for that sort of overly defensive behavior in any situation. It can be difficult to accept criticism, but if you're going to go ballistic, you might as well wait until you've actually received some.

I agree, it is pretty important to not only focus on things you dislike when providing someone with feedback on something they wrote, created, performed, etc.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Here is an interesting talking point: Many big businesses pay lots--and we are talking lots--of money to consulting firms with various specialties to come and tell the business what is wrong with the way the business does things.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

Janiac02 wrote:Wow! This thread is an emotional roller coaster! :laughing-rollingyellow:

I had this problem as well. My first reviews were pretty low, and at times I was stressed about it. I didn't want to lie about the books, but I didn't want to be super critical and just give everything a bad rating, either. What was especially worrying was a book I gave a 2/4 to had a prequel that someone else gave a 4/4 to.

Luckily, my new book has been awesome and there are major differences between it and the others I've read, so now I know it's not just me being overly critical. :?
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
Janiac02

Post by Janiac02 »

Duende Knocking wrote:
I had this problem as well. My first reviews were pretty low, and at times I was stressed about it. I didn't want to lie about the books, but I didn't want to be super critical and just give everything a bad rating, either. What was especially worrying was a book I gave a 2/4 to had a prequel that someone else gave a 4/4 to.

Luckily, my new book has been awesome and there are major differences between it and the others I've read, so now I know it's not just me being overly critical. :?
I'm glad you've gotten a book you really enjoy. My last two have been great for their respective genres. Now if I had read those first I'd probably think I was too lax :roll:
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Scott wrote:Here is an interesting talking point: Many big businesses pay lots--and we are talking lots--of money to consulting firms with various specialties to come and tell the business what is wrong with the way the business does things.
There are lots of people I wish would pay me so that I could tell them what is wrong with their personalities. ;)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

ALynnPowers wrote:
Scott wrote:Here is an interesting talking point: Many big businesses pay lots--and we are talking lots--of money to consulting firms with various specialties to come and tell the business what is wrong with the way the business does things.
There are lots of people I wish would pay me so that I could tell them what is wrong with their personalities. ;)
There are lots of people I would tell, even for free. :roll: :lol:

-- 28 Feb 2015, 22:31 --
Excellent point Scott! I think the main difference here is authors are individuals and probably more sensitive to even the slightest criticism. I wish authors would act more like businesses, and would accept constructive criticism in order to make improvements. While there are certainly authors who hit it out of the park with their debut novel, it's more the case that they improve after getting feedback.

-- 28 Feb 2015, 23:17 --

I just noticed that this thread is now 5 pages long. I hope authors don't get the wrong idea, and think we are bashing all authors. I wonder if we should start a thread to discuss all the awesome, pleasant authors. :) I do think the majority of authors and wonderful people.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

bookowlie wrote: I just noticed that this thread is now 5 pages long. I hope authors don't get the wrong idea, and think we are bashing all authors. I wonder if we should start a thread to discuss all the awesome, pleasant authors. :) I do think the majority of authors and wonderful people.
We're definitely not bashing all authors! And conversations get off track and then back on track all over the place. 8)

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”