PM Inbox shows no new messages

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

PM Inbox shows no new messages

Post by Himmelslicht »

I have a problem with my PM box. Even when I have new messages it doesn't show "PM [1]" for example. It's always PM [0] and I have to check it every once in a while. I don't get notification for new messages or for being mentioned.
Is it just me?
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

That has happened to me before... but it hasn't been happening lately. I don't think.... lemme check. haha

-- 10 Jan 2015, 17:49 --

Nope. No messages haha.
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
Himmelslicht

Post by Himmelslicht »

It happens to me all the time. There actually hasn't been once that I've seen "1" in there :lol:
- Gustave Flaubert
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

I'm thinking I am also having issues with messages I have sent.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Himmelslicht wrote:I have a problem with my PM box. Even when I have new messages it doesn't show "PM [1]" for example. It's always PM [0] and I have to check it every once in a while. I don't get notification for new messages or for being mentioned.
Is it just me?
Are you sure pop-up's aren't blocked on your device?
When I log in on my home laptop if there are new PM's I always get the message to go to my inbox but when I log in at work I never get that message because pop-up's are blocked by our company firewall.
You might also go to the control panel on the Home Page & check your preferences settings.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Himmelslicht

Post by Himmelslicht »

Fran wrote:
Himmelslicht wrote:I have a problem with my PM box. Even when I have new messages it doesn't show "PM [1]" for example. It's always PM [0] and I have to check it every once in a while. I don't get notification for new messages or for being mentioned.
Is it just me?
When I log in on my home laptop if there are new PM's I always get the message to go to my inbox but when I log in at work I never get that message because pop-up's are blocked by our company firewall.
You might also go to the control panel on the Home Page & check your preferences settings.
If I get I never notice but I don't know how to enable pop-ups for this site xD
I only enable when I see it on the browsing bar.
- Gustave Flaubert
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Himmelslicht wrote:
Fran wrote:
Is it just me?
If I get I never notice but I don't know how to enable pop-ups for this site xD
I only enable when I see it on the browsing bar.
Go to the Contol Panel (it's on the banner at the top of the Home Page) & open the tab "Board Preferences" & the 6th option down is "Pop up window on new private message" - you enable it by clicking on the Yes button.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

The counter would show "new" messages. That means that as soon as you browse to another page or reload the page, it would reset to zero.

That's good for counting new messages for the popup because it would be quite annoying to get a 'new PM' popup every time you clicked to a new page until you checked the message. But I agree it kind of renders having a count next to the PM link in the header pointless.

I have changed it so now the link in the header should show the number of unread PM messages instead of new PM messages.

You can configure a popup notification in the User Control Panel, but I think the default is already for there to be a popup. The lack of a popup is usually caused by the browser. Nowadays, browsers will typically block popups most of the time if you recall the earlier days of the internet when popup ads were everywhere and about as pleasant as bee attacks.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Scott wrote:The counter would show "new" messages. That means that as soon as you browse to another page or reload the page, it would reset to zero.

That's good for counting new messages for the popup because it would be quite annoying to get a 'new PM' popup every time you clicked to a new page until you checked the message. But I agree it kind of renders having a count next to the PM link in the header pointless.

I have changed it so now the link in the header should show the number of unread PM messages instead of new PM messages.

You can configure a popup notification in the User Control Panel, but I think the default is already for there to be a popup. The lack of a popup is usually caused by the browser. Nowadays, browsers will typically block popups most of the time if you recall the earlier days of the internet when popup ads were everywhere and about as pleasant as bee attacks.

I definitely like this new system of having the "unread" messages show next to the PM box. I jump around too much to even notice if it is just shown the first time it is new. Thanks, Scott!

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”