New section for drama?

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Re: New section for drama?

Post by Scott »

Graverobber wrote:@Scott

I just wanted to ask if, at some point, biographies could be split off from the non-fiction section.
I don't know about other members but I really enjoy memoirs, and would love to have biographies/autobiographies/memoirs as a seperate "genre", especially on bookshelves.
I have forwarded this request to the moderators for input.

I have also been thinking for a while that it would be good to add a tagging feature to Bookshelves to assign more specific, multiple categories to books (e.g. "vampires", "dystopian", etc.). That way we could have one simpler exclusive way of categorizing books (i.e. one category per book) and then have a more fluid way of tagging them. The biographies could still be part of the former even with the tagging system.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Scott wrote:I have forwarded this request to the moderators for input.

I have also been thinking for a while that it would be good to add a tagging feature to Bookshelves to assign more specific, multiple categories to books (e.g. "vampires", "dystopian", etc.). That way we could have one simpler exclusive way of categorizing books (i.e. one category per book) and then have a more fluid way of tagging them. The biographies could still be part of the former even with the tagging system.
:text-yesplease:
That would be awesome.

(Forgive the fake emoticon...I'm weird :geek: )
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

Scott wrote:I have also been thinking for a while that it would be good to add a tagging feature to Bookshelves to assign more specific, multiple categories to books (e.g. "vampires", "dystopian", etc.). That way we could have one simpler exclusive way of categorizing books (i.e. one category per book) and then have a more fluid way of tagging them. The biographies could still be part of the former even with the tagging system.
Yes, I suggested this several months ago. We were wondering how it would be done, I remember. I think that perhaps the tagging could also be done by users who are familiar with the books but any changes should be approved by moderators in case anything inappropriate or offensive should appear. Generally, this should be straightforward as tags would therefore be allowed or disregarded before they can be seen and no harm will be done. Would there be a limit to the amount of tags attached to each book, however?

Also, I think there needs to be a much more comprehensive search system for Bookshelves so that not only author, title and date are searchable, but also keywords and genre. This way, moderators are able to locate possible duplicates much more quickly and alter them accordingly. However, I still think there needs to be a much easier way of doing this as right now duplicates are multiplying too quickly to manage sufficiently. Gravy has more thoughts on this, so perhaps you might discuss this with her.

But finally, could moderators please have their own space to raise specific issues, such as a page or something? It feels rather pushy to be constantly posting on public forums and it would be great (especially when there are more) if issues can be discussed in one area. Your message to the moderators could have been placed there, for example. If updated regularly, it could prove invaluable.
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

ryanj1 wrote:Would there be a limit to the amount of tags attached to each book, however?
Do you think that would be good idea? If so, what would you suggest for the limit?
ryanj1 wrote:But finally, could moderators please have their own space to raise specific issues, such as a page or something? It feels rather pushy to be constantly posting on public forums and it would be great (especially when there are more) if issues can be discussed in one area. Your message to the moderators could have been placed there, for example. If updated regularly, it could prove invaluable.
:oops: There is such a place. I must have forgotten to change the permissions for you new Bookshelves moderators. You should be able to find it as a forum in the bottom of the forum index now.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

Scott wrote:
ryanj1 wrote:Would there be a limit to the amount of tags attached to each book, however?
Do you think that would be good idea? If so, what would you suggest for the limit?
ryanj1 wrote:But finally, could moderators please have their own space to raise specific issues, such as a page or something? It feels rather pushy to be constantly posting on public forums and it would be great (especially when there are more) if issues can be discussed in one area. Your message to the moderators could have been placed there, for example. If updated regularly, it could prove invaluable.
:oops: There is such a place. I must have forgotten to change the permissions for you new Bookshelves moderators. You should be able to find it as a forum in the bottom of the forum index now.
Super! Thanks for that reveal :lol:

As for the tags, I think ten would be comprehensive enough to allow users to find what they want. Any more and things might start to become too vague or numerous and the effect would just be chaotic. I'm not sure whether anybody thinks that's too high or low, but that's my number. If the tags are well-chosen and well-utilized, I think that would be enough for users :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I think ten might be just a little low :eusa-think:

It would depend...
Some would fall under "genre", while others would describe the subject or story...
And everyone will focus on different things.

Personally, I think fifteen would work well.

But, that's just my opinion.

I should go pick a book and experiment :geek:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”