Is there a way to be notified if someone quoted us?

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Is there a way to be notified if someone quoted us?

Post by TLGabelman »

I enjoy chatting on the different threads but I open find that someone has quoted me and maybe posed me a question and I have failed to notice and therefore didnt respond. :angry-banghead:
-Is there a way we can choose to be notified if someone quoted us?
-Or is there a way to tag someone and ask them a question where they would see a notification when they log in, other than a PM since the question would be thread specific?

Dont want to add work for anyone, but i dont want to be rude :crying-yellow: and not answer a fellow reader.

Many Thanks!
Tracie
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

Right! That would come in handy. I try to check the 'your post' section.. but even then... eventually it is overwhelming and I don't check back up on nearly all of them. I also wonder sometimes if I am missing out on people responding to me.

I actually went poking through the settings to see if perhaps it was something I was missing as well... and I might have found it! And so I LOVE you for mentioning this and thus motivating me to look for something that I would love too. haha.

So when you go to 'Control Panel' you then go to 'Board Preferences' then 'Edit Posting Defaults' then switch 'Notify me upon replies by default:' to Yes!

I assume this works but I haven't tested it out yet. haha. Sounds legit. haha Why didn't I do this sooner?!
I love LOVE. <3
TLGabelman

Post by TLGabelman »

Skillian I had this enabled but I got about 7000 emails everytime someone posted in the same thread I did so I had to turn it off. Im thinking more specifically possibly similar to Facebook, where if I type your name you will receive a notification. I think I would be less likely to quote someone and just 'tag' them and ask a question regarding their post. MAke sense? I usually go through my 'your posts' tab when I log on each time also but sometimes I just dont have the time.

Just curious really.

:) GL in school!
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

There are forum systems (ProBoards, for example) that have this notification system thingy. You can even like someone's comments/posts. And there's even a shoutbox. I don't know if this could be implemented here but maybe we could "update" to a more recent version if that exists?
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

@tlgabelman
Perhaps I'm not understand you but is this not coverd by the option to subscribe to a topic & receive an email notification when a new post is made to that specific topic?
Or do you mean only when a poster actually quotes your post (by using the quote button on the top left of your post)? I don't see how that would be a benefit as 1. not everyone responding to a post uses the quote option 2. would you want a notification if the quote button was used in the Word association topic for example?
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
TLGabelman

Post by TLGabelman »

Fran wrote: Or do you mean only when a poster actually quotes your post (by using the quote button on the top left of your post)?
I suppose Im wondering if there is a way to be notified if someone quotes me (I havent participated in the WORD association thread). Or if there is a way we can tag a person in a thread? I think it would be helpful especially if someone asks me a thread specific question that would benefit all to see not something necessary for a pm.

I dont want emails every time someone comments on a topic I have once commented on, quite often they are not responding to anything I posted. Make sense?
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

tlgabelman wrote:
Fran wrote: Or do you mean only when a poster actually quotes your post (by using the quote button on the top left of your post)?
I suppose Im wondering if there is a way to be notified if someone quotes me (I havent participated in the WORD association thread). Or if there is a way we can tag a person in a thread? I think it would be helpful especially if someone asks me a thread specific question that would benefit all to see not something necessary for a pm.

I dont want emails every time someone comments on a topic I have once commented on, quite often they are not responding to anything I posted. Make sense?
So you mean specifically instances where the poster used the Quote button only?
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
TLGabelman

Post by TLGabelman »

yes, or if there was a specific was to 'tag' someone by name
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html

Post by Skillian »

hmmmm I have no idea then! haha. I actually haven't received a single email since I changed my settings earlier. So... I have no idea. lol And people are posting on threads I have posted on... so I don't know how it works.
I love LOVE. <3
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I understand your meaning, but only Scott can answer that. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I was actually wondering this myself a while back...
Thanks for asking!

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I think it would only be practical for a notification for the quote tag to go out if someone marks the name in the quote tag (which happens by default if you use the quote button). What I mean is consider first option A:

Code: Select all

[quote="Bobby"]Things Bobby said[/quote]things someone says to bobby[/quote]
And now consider option B:

[quote]Things Bobby said[/quote]things someone says to bobby[/quote]
It is not practically that a notification be sent to Bobby in the second example only the first. It would be too hard to program the software to recognize that Bobby is being quoted in the second example.

Alternatively, as also suggested, it's quite possible to create a special tagging option to tag someone and then have either a notification sent or have a page listing posts/topics where one has been tagged. Tag options could be:

[t]username[/t]
OR

@username
OR

[@username]
The middle one would be easiest to write, but it could also be the one most likely to cause problems like if someone is trying to write an email address.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

"tagging" someone in a response sounds like a good idea, like if you want to make sure that they know you have been talking to them?
I personally wouldn't like to get a ton of notifications every single time someone quoted something I said. but then again, i'm sure I wouldn't get a lot of them in the first place :D
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I think adding just a special tagging option like on Facebook would be enough, if at all. That way we won't get ton of notifications.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Well @tlgabelman I think I have added the feature so that if you tag someone with the at symbol like writing @Skillian that person will get a notification by PM. The default is that person will get the notification. However, such notifications can be turned off by the recipient in the global settings of the User Control Panel.

You can also tag someone by using quotation marks after that at symbol, such by writing @"Himmelslicht". When the name is not followed by a space mark, it must be done that way. Additionally, if the username has a space mark in it, then quotes are also required. The notifier simply grabs whatever comes after the at symbol until the next space mark, unless there are quotation marks.

So

@Scott Hughes

Would not notify a user named "Scott Hughes".

This would also not work: Hi, @Scott.

That's because there is a period mark after the last t in my name in the way it is written above which is not how my username is. So @scott. would actually attempt to notify a user by the name "scott." not "scott".

If this seems confusing, than I recommend just using the quotation marks as that is more straightforward. With quotation marks you can do things like say, Hey @"Fran"! How are you? Have you seen @"Gali"? I hope she wasn't kidnapped by @"Graverobber", or maybe "@ALynnPowers"...

If anyone mentioned in this post didn't get a PM notification. Let me know so I can troubleshoot.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”