Are reviewers allowed to take breaks?

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Are reviewers allowed to take breaks?

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I finished reading a book a couple of days ago and plan to have the review posted by the end of this week. With all of the holiday events/obligations stacked on top of other responsibilites, I've barely had any time to read, and I was wondering if I could take a break from reviewing until after Christmas. My plan is to not select another book to read until sometime between the 26th and the 31st of December. Are reviewers allowed to take breaks, and would this negatively effect my score?

Thanks in advance for the info!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Yes, of course you can take a break. There is no obligation to review books, or to review a certain number in a given period of time. I had a busy summer/fall and didn't do a review for four months. It was no problem, didn't affect my reviewer score at all, and I picked up where I left off.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Thanks for sharing your experience, PashaRu! It is much appreciated! :D
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

As was said, of course you can. I also take break between reviews. You can do a review as often as you like and it won't affect your score.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

The only time I have had a "change" in my reviewer score was when Scott changed the scoring criteria. And even then, my score actually got BETTER. Haha 8)
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Thank you for your feedback, Gali and ALynnPowers. I'm glad to know that I am not the only one that needs a break every now and then! :D
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

PashaRu wrote:Yes, of course you can take a break. There is no obligation to review books, or to review a certain number in a given period of time. I had a busy summer/fall and didn't do a review for four months. It was no problem, didn't affect my reviewer score at all, and I picked up where I left off.
This is accurate.

However, if you have already selected a book to review, then you are expected to review it within the time standards set in the terms/guidelines.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

LivreAmour217 wrote:Thank you for your feedback, Gali and ALynnPowers. I'm glad to know that I am not the only one that needs a break every now and then! :D
Haha ... I tell myself I'm going to take a break after the next book... But then I see the new list and go "I want this one!!!!" And suddenly I wonder why I wanted to take a break in the first place... Love my books!!
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Scott wrote:
PashaRu wrote:Yes, of course you can take a break. There is no obligation to review books, or to review a certain number in a given period of time. I had a busy summer/fall and didn't do a review for four months. It was no problem, didn't affect my reviewer score at all, and I picked up where I left off.
This is accurate.

However, if you have already selected a book to review, then you are expected to review it within the time standards set in the terms/guidelines.
Thank you, Scott. No, I haven't picked a new book yet, so I'm in the clear! I'll get back to reviewing once the holidays are over.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”