Paid Opportunities Slower During Holiday Season?

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Re: Paid Opportunities Slower During Holiday Season?

Post by bookowlie »

ALynnPowers wrote:Hahahah, yeah, I'm poor!

NO!! Actually, I picked a free book this time! The paid ones didn't appeal to me. 8) I'm following the rules!
I still look through the free books to see what might interest me. I actually thought it's better to keep those available for the members who are still at a lower level....then they can gain points to move ahead. Anyway, a paid one appeared yesterday on my list that looked interesting. Obsessive reader that I am, I stayed up very late to read it, and even later to write the review! I am exhausted this morning :)

Is anyone like me where they feel they have to immediately write the review right after finishing the book?
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

yessss yessshhhh leave the interesting free books.... *waves hand (using the force)* hehehe Take pity on us lower level peeps! :D

And haha! I've been doing the same when I get a book here. I have been devouring them. I wont sleep. lol Then I write the review right away... while it is still super fresh in my mind. And yes... I think that is best anyway... to finish quickly. Plus, I think they are given a notice as soon as someone has chosen their book, and then also when we have finished reading it... so I worry about keeping them waiting. I don't want to be rude. But also... I just really enjoy it. lol
I love LOVE. <3
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Skillian wrote:yessss yessshhhh leave the interesting free books.... *waves hand (using the force)* hehehe Take pity on us lower level peeps! :D

And haha! I've been doing the same when I get a book here. I have been devouring them. I wont sleep. lol Then I write the review right away... while it is still super fresh in my mind. And yes... I think that is best anyway... to finish quickly. Plus, I think they are given a notice as soon as someone has chosen their book, and then also when we have finished reading it... so I worry about keeping them waiting. I don't want to be rude. But also... I just really enjoy it. lol
Skillian, I wish there were a less offensive way of describing "lower level" LOL Anyway, the funny thing is that I've noticed many of the free titles keep popping back on my list after someone has already posted an official review. I think Scott mentioned recently that some of the authors request multiple reviews for feedback, constructive criticism if it's their first book, etc. So....we are not all in competition for the same books :) Off to get another cup of coffee....as I mentioned, up too late last night reading and writing :)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I really want to write, Screw you guys! I do what I want!" but insist that you read it in a Cartman voice and know that I am 100% joking!!! 8) 8)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

ALynnPowers wrote:I really want to write, Screw you guys! I do what I want!" but insist that you read it in a Cartman voice and know that I am 100% joking!!! 8) 8)
I had to google "who is Cartman" to figure out it's a South Park character LOL
Skillian

Post by Skillian »

bahahaha *runs away crying* jk It's all good. I've still gotten some enjoyable books... despite my inferiority. :p
I love LOVE. <3
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

One possibility is that a temporary lull in review requests occurred from the upgrade I did last month. Since I knew the upgrade would require the site to be offline for a day or two, I turned off any advertising I do beforehand and waited to turn it back on until I had things running reliably again. Perhaps the effects of reducing advertising would not be noticed to you folks until a month later.

Also, I have been working much harder lately on improving the quality standards of the reviews. This must be done with care since reviewers will not like to hear that their review has been rejected for not meeting the guidelines. It is also crucial that the scoring formula is providing accurate ratings to make sure newer reviewers can work their way up the levels but also that being top-level is exclusive enough that I can guarantee enough review opportunities to go around to those reviewers. These things are getting into place well and that should lead to more opportunities in the near future.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Thanks Scott! That clarifies a lot. Plus it's a simpler explanation than what we were proposing. Hee Hee.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Hi Scott,
Thanks for the behind-the-scenes info. I think you have such an interesting job.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for the input Scott and well done!

As a side note, I think that the beauty of the reviews is their diversity. If all reviews are the same, it will make a boring reading.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

gali wrote:As a side note, I think that the beauty of the reviews is their diversity. If all reviews are the same, it will make a boring reading.
Agreed. Perhaps, I should even make an addition to the guidelines along the lines of "Try to be creative and use your unique style to your advantage, reviews that are too formulaic will be boring." :?:
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Scott wrote:
gali wrote:As a side note, I think that the beauty of the reviews is their diversity. If all reviews are the same, it will make a boring reading.
Agreed. Perhaps, I should even make an addition to the guidelines along the lines of "Try to be creative and use your unique style to your advantage, reviews that are too formulaic will be boring." :?:
I think you should as long as it isn't a must. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Skillian

Post by Skillian »

I still giggle every time I see a thread where Scott has posted. Those glasses. lol I am too easily amused. And thanks for sharing what is far more probable than the theories I was coming up with. haha. And thanks for your hard work! It has been a great experience for me at every step. 8)

And back to the topic at hand. I accepted my first paid review! Which is exciting. I feel like I am part of some kind of elite squad. I was lucky enough that there was one available at the same time I was between books, and after I just promoted to a higher level due to rechecking my score. I love that it reminds me to have it rechecked every week.... because I don't think about it. haha. But yes... AND the book sounded (and so far is) good!

Also, woa! Talk about way more variety of free books! I am overwhelmed and want them all! OK.. not actually all of them... no offense. *nervous laugh* But still it is amazing to see like twenty or so... however many it was... instead of only two or three. It feels like... Christmas! hehehe. 8) Having the pick of the litter... feels... good. I think I could get used to this. haha. :)

So maybe the lull has passed?? Anyone else seeing improvement?
I love LOVE. <3
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

That's awesome! I tend to get a new book immediately so I never really see all of the books available. Glad to see there are more coming along!!

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”