Paid Opportunities Slower During Holiday Season?

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Paid Opportunities Slower During Holiday Season?

Post by bookowlie »

The last paid review I did was December 4th. Right after I posted the review, there were a few paid opportunities available. The books didn't interest me, so I passed on them. In the past week, there seems to be nothing. Is it that there are less paid reviews showing up during the holiday season or is it just this past week? I am at Level 4 so I had been seeing a few within a day or two of finishing a review.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

You might want to PM Scott about it... I'm not sure if anyone else would know for sure besides him. But also maybe more people have extra free time or wouldn't mind the extra $$ (for x-mas shopping) so they are getting snapped up faster?
I love LOVE. <3
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I did have a few opportunities last week that I didn't accept in a timely manner. I guess I spend too much time deciding if the book will be the right fit for me LOL It's been about 5 days with no paid opportunities.....maybe you're right that people want the extra $$ for Christmas shopping.
Skillian

Post by Skillian »

haha. I do that too. Taking time to decide... but honestly I'm pretty excitable. I will google the book, read other reviews, see if the author has a twitter, read their bio, etc. But then I also get a little nervous that at that EXACT moment someone else might be checking it out too. haha Generally, even if it isn't good... I still enjoy the process of reading and writing the review. So ultimately I don't hesitate too long. lol But yeah... I've passed up some available reviews before too.... but I don't really regret it. If the topic or story-line isn't interesting enough... then if it turns out to have other problems... I would just die. However, if it is still an interesting subject... I can get through all the other problems... still learn something.... and finish the review. lol Sounds good in theory anyway.
I love LOVE. <3
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Well, I did get two lower paying opportunities this afternoon.....now on to read a little about them. Skillian, like you, I always enjoy the process of reading and then writing the review. Still, I also want to enjoy the book, if possible :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

It is far better to pass some opportunities than get struck with a bad book. I don't choose a book for the sake of it and have passed on many free, lower and higher paying opportunities since the books weren't to my taste. I am very picky with my books and don't want my reading to become a chore. One shouldn't take a book at all costs.

In fact, the rules clearly state: "You are required to carefully read the description and author bio included with each review opportunity before selecting to review a book. If you fail to do this you will be kicked off the review team. You are expected to only choose a book that you think is a good fit for you (e.g. if you hate steamy erotic books, don't choose to review one). That doesn't mean you are expected to actually enjoy the book, but that it shouldn't be a book you would have known wasn't your type of book if you read the description and disclaimers."
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Gali, I totally agree. Even if the rules didn't state it, I still want to select books that I think will be my type of book. I may not wind up lking the book, but I want to start out thinking it will be "my cup of tea".
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:Gali, I totally agree. Even if the rules didn't state it, I still want to select books that I think will be my type of book. I may not wind up lking the book, but I want to start out thinking it will be "my cup of tea".
Indeed and ending up disliking a book is a risk we take with all books. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Skillian

Post by Skillian »

Yes! Totally. I don't think it would be polite to mention the one's I've passed up... but yeah. Reading the descriptions is invaluable, because even if its in a genre I like... there might be a twist about it I don't. It amazes me how even within the description sometimes there are major grammatical or spelling errors (which is a no-go).

But yes hahaha the risk is real! And totally worth it. 8)
I love LOVE. <3
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Skillian - I agree the risk is real! The two lower paying opportunities I got yesterday....I was on the fence about them, spent some time reading the sample chapters for each on Amazon, then came back a few hours later and poof! they were gone. Oh well, I guess if I was that excited about reading them, I would have snatched one of them quicker.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Whoa... I never even saw a paid chance at all until I was a level 4 (following the old reviewer score rating scale). I actually thought there had been MORE opportunities here recently... But... I'm a bit higher level now, so maybe I just saw them first and they were taken before they made it down to others? I don't know.
Skillian

Post by Skillian »

I haven't seen any paid opportunities yet.... but I still felt I could join the discussion. haha I figured it is about the same... and that it all depends.

And now we have our solution! ALynn has been snatching them all! muahahaha. hehe jk :p
I love LOVE. <3
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Hahahah, yeah, I'm poor!

NO!! Actually, I picked a free book this time! The paid ones didn't appeal to me. 8) I'm following the rules!
gali

Post by gali »

ALynnPowers wrote:Hahahah, yeah, I'm poor!

NO!! Actually, I picked a free book this time! The paid ones didn't appeal to me. 8) I'm following the rules!
Way to go! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Skillian

Post by Skillian »

hahaha. I can't see paid book yet anyway. Probably not for a long time. So... it doesn't matter to me. lol I'm only a level 1. So lowly... LOL
I love LOVE. <3

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”