Warnings

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

cmp librarian
Favorite Author: Karren Hancock
Favorite Book: The Bible
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmp-librarian.html
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry

Warnings

Post by cmp librarian »

I am enjoying being part of this site and I'm trying to follow and understand all of the guidelines....
I was curious, I have a warning level of 1 and I was wondering if after time the warning level goes away?

You have as part of your score system that you receive 10 points for not having any warnings.... as a new member it is frustrating to have lost that when I still was trying to understand how the site worked. I really think it would be a great feature if you could redeem yourself by having your warning level removed after say maybe a month of not having any other warnings or something like that.... just my observation and suggestion.
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

Warning level of 1? huh. Where are you seeing that score? on what page? And I'm sure a lot of things on here are automatically detected. Maybe it is just a flag for moderators to further check something out to make sure it was nothing major? If is was me... I would give it a couple of days to see if it went away on its own... but you can always PM one of the mods or Scot about it I think.

I hope you figure it out! I'm sorry I wasn't able to really help!
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

If Scott, the administrator found any thing wrong with a review written, you would receive the warning level. I was also a level one before I gave up on the review team. Good Luck!
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Currently, warnings stay on record for 365 days. As for your score on the reviewer team page, I don't think 1 warning should have a large effect. At this time, if you get multiple warnings, the penalty is exponential.

I have been making improvements to the editing process for reviews to better find reviews that do not meet the guidelines, such as ones that have serious typos, have not been proofread, or that do not properly support/explain the given rating. This will lead to more warnings being given out. If somebody gets one, it is really just an advisement so they can doublecheck the guidelines and make sure to provide only the highest quality reviews. Nobody is perfect, so the point is to keep a record not for someone who makes a mistake once but to have that record for those consistently delivering low quality work. As the warnings become more common, then the penalty per warning will go down, and perhaps I will reduce the expiration time.

However, the board warning level also entails not only penalties on the review team, but rule violations in the forum. Again, if you only get 1 or 2 warnings it is just an advisement. No biggie. The record is kept for the few times it becomes an issue with someone repeatedly being a problem.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

I received a warning level 1 for my first review nearly two weeks after submitting it. Before it was reviewed by the editor (thus giving me my warning) i had already submitted 3 other reviews in the private forum. Now, still waiting for any or all of those reviews to be approved/rejected after over a week since I submitted them, i am waiting to write my 5th review. I am not a professional writer, and do not have an English Degree. I looked at the opportunity to review as a way to better myself in writing and cohesively conveying my opinions, and I take the craft very seriously. I did and do proof read all my reviews but many of the 'errors' seen by the editor i didn't and still don't see when writing so I will likely keep making the same mistakes, especially since they are not explained (no I don't expect the editor to hold my hand when writing). Its discouraging for me personally who was originally excited about this opportunity.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I have configured the Review Team Page to prevent newer members of the review team from selecting a new book to review until their pending review is resolved. This way in the future one can get the feedback from the first review before starting a new one.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html

Post by TLGabelman »

Any way to have reviews approved sooner than 2 weeks? I submitted 3 (i should have thought better) around Jan 6th.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Yes, reviews should be approved/rejected much more quickly moving forward. This is namely because the editor system is really getting a good flow going. I've made a lot of improvements to the system in the fairly recent past. So things were moving at half-speed for a bit while I worked out any kinks.

markg11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markg11.html

Post by markg11 »

I just wanted to share that I will not duplicate again. I thought we could still review and give our own slant on the book. I now understand how to get books to review. Thank you.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

markg11 wrote:I just wanted to share that I will not duplicate again. I thought we could still review and give our own slant on the book. I now understand how to get books to review. Thank you.
You can go on and review your own books, just search first before posting. If there is already such a topic, simply add your review there.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Scott wrote:Currently, warnings stay on record for 365 days. As for your score on the reviewer team page, I don't think 1 warning should have a large effect. At this time, if you get multiple warnings, the penalty is exponential.

I have been making improvements to the editing process for reviews to better find reviews that do not meet the guidelines, such as ones that have serious typos, have not been proofread, or that do not properly support/explain the given rating. This will lead to more warnings being given out. If somebody gets one, it is really just an advisement so they can doublecheck the guidelines and make sure to provide only the highest quality reviews. Nobody is perfect, so the point is to keep a record not for someone who makes a mistake once but to have that record for those consistently delivering low quality work. As the warnings become more common, then the penalty per warning will go down, and perhaps I will reduce the expiration time.

However, the board warning level also entails not only penalties on the review team, but rule violations in the forum. Again, if you only get 1 or 2 warnings it is just an advisement. No biggie. The record is kept for the few times it becomes an issue with someone repeatedly being a problem.
This is kind of important information I wanted to bring to the front again.

Mostly because I have only 16 more days until my warning from last year (which I am not bitter about at all :twisted: ) expires! Yay!
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Is there any way for me to see when my warnings will expire? I got them a long time ago so I don't remember and I also unfortunately deleted the private message saying when I got the warning.
I feel like it might have been a year ago or almost a year, so it would be nice to know. :P
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I'm not sure there are warnings anymore. There is nothing about any warnings on the reviewers page when there used to be.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:I'm not sure there are warnings anymore. There is nothing about any warnings on the reviewers page when there used to be.
The warnings still appear when I check my score and also on the control panel.
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Okay. So I guess they are then. Sorry. I guess it only shows if there is anything there or not if you have a warning against you. I would send a message to Scott. I'm sure he could tell you how much longer it will be there.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”