Giving advice to the author.

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

NanoWasabi
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: Watership Down
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanowasabi.html
Latest Review: "MXX: Agent Soldier" by Donald Schlising

Giving advice to the author.

Post by NanoWasabi »

Hi, I just got done reading a book for review and I was wondering, is it a good idea to give advice to the author on how to fix the problems in the book, or should I just tell him what the problems I had were? And if I should give advice, would it be better to put it in the review, or to privately contact the author?
Latest Review: "MXX: Agent Soldier" by Donald Schlising
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

You can mention the problems in your review (lack of editing, bad grammar and so on) as to explain the rating.

You shouldn't privately contact the author.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Gali is correct.

To elaborate, most likely the author isn't going to rewrite that book. So you want to explain your rating and doing so should in itself advise them how they could have written the book better which is advice they can use in writing their next book.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”