A couple of suggestions

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

anomalocaris
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

A couple of suggestions

Post by anomalocaris »

Just suggestions(not complaints!) based on my last 2 review experiences.

The review I wrote today was for a picture book. I'm pretty sure that my review was required to have more words than the actual book did. :lol: Maybe there should be a separate policy for that sort of thing. Like a quick projects section for very short pieces where you don't necessarily get credit for a full length review, but where the review requirements are appropriate to the material.

The previous one was just the opposite. The "book" turned out to be a collected volume of four books. Perhaps assignments where the reviewer is required to read more than one book should be handled a little differently, since the reviewer is being asked to handle 2-4 assignments in the same amount of time normally allotted for one, and ultimately only gets credit for one.

I don't really have a problem with the current system. In my case it balanced out -- an extra long project followed by a microproject. Just tossing it out there as "food for thought."
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I agree with the issues.

For smaller books or picture books, I still think the minimum word requirement should be fine. Most reviews are longer than the minimum anyway. And it's quite possible to express opinion that exceeds the content of the original piece. A critique of a single drawing on a wall might garner a whole essay about it for instance. However, it could still help to have slightly different requirements or expectations for smaller books or picture books.

But especially for the issue of unusually large books this can be a problem.

The best solution I think is for me to add information about the length of the book into the database, probably simply the number of pages. At the very least, this would allow reviewers to know how long the book is before selecting it. I could also potentially use that to make modified requirements for books based on size, so that small or large books have different requirements than more average sized books.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”