BOTM Change

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

BOTM Change

Post by Scott »

I am considering a change to the Book of the Month nomination policies. It looks like Divergent is going to win by a landslide. This is fine, but I imagine it is mainly because a movie has just been made about it. Some of my favorite books of the month have been ones that I wouldn't have heard of and read otherwise. Many previous books of the month have been turned into a movie after it has been book of the month, even though the plans to make it a movie may not have been in the works when we first read it. This was exciting to get a book that was just on the verge of trending, rather than to jump on the bandwagon of a book everyone is reading and discussing anyway. Also, it avoided the issue of people who only saw the movie wanting to discuss it, or feeling left out because they don't want to read a book when they already saw the movie adaptation. So the change I am considering is to prohibit nominations of books that have already been turned into a movie. Thoughts?

At the same time, for those very popular trending books like Divergent, maybe we could make special subforums to discuss them anyway up in the regular forums. Or I could probably program a database script that will be able to count the number of topics for a book and create an organized list so for instance if there were 5 topics about a book in the appropriate genre forum, they would be listed together on this "Popular Books" page. This of course would depend on people actually following the guidelines in that section to include the title of the book in the title of the topic, which I could easily program my script to automatically connect.

What do you all think?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I was one of those who have voted for that book, but it wasn't because of the movie. I chose it since it was on my to read list anyway and I have no intention to watch the movie.

What you are suggesting makes sense. I also prefer to read books before all the hype around them. Subforums for popular trending books sound like a great idea.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I'm inclined to agree Scott & it will be interesting to see how many of those who voted for Divergent come back and actually engage in a discussion about it as distinct from just one line/one word comments! Divergent isn't my kind of book, as you probably guessed, but as a matter of interest is it not a series?
Personally I favour the BOTM being a place for reading an unusual, original book or a book that a member feels has been overlooked or hasn't gained the popularity they feel it deserves.
I don't see the point of a sub forum for popularly trending books (that's kind of a vague term anyway, what defines popularly trending?) but in any case the option already exists for a member to set up a topic for a specific book in the existing forums or sub-forums & take the discussion from there.
What I do think we need is a sub-forum for YA please :)
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Fran wrote:I'm inclined to agree Scott & it will be interesting to see how many of those who voted for Divergent come back and actually engage in a discussion about it as distinct from just one line/one word comments! Divergent isn't my kind of book, as you probably guessed, but as a matter of interest is it not a series?
Personally I favour the BOTM being a place for reading an unusual, original book or a book that a member feels has been overlooked or hasn't gained the popularity they feel it deserves.
I don't see the point of a sub forum for popularly trending books (that's kind of a vague term anyway, what defines popularly trending?) but in any case the option already exists for a member to set up a topic for a specific book in the existing forums or sub-forums & take the discussion from there.
What I do think we need is a sub-forum for YA please :)
It is part of a trilogy. I like that genre myself and hope the book is good. I am for Sub-forum for YA as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Young Adult?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

Fran

Post by Fran »

Sorry Scott, yes Young Adult .. there's an awful lot of it about :lol:
- My Home by Clive James
Aubinelizabeth
Favorite Author: S.E. Hinton
Favorite Book: To Kill A Mocking Bird
Currently Reading: 12 Years A Slave
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubinelizabeth.html
fav_author_id: 4089

Post by Aubinelizabeth »

I think if the book won by a landslide it should be the book of the month no matter what. It is an amazing book and the back story of the author is extrodenary. I was surprised to find out that it was herfirst book. I do think that a popular book forum would be great. And popular is not hard to define... a lot of people are talking about the book therefore it is popular. Being popular does not make a book better in quality than a book that may be great but isnt getting much praise. And I think I have gone beyond a one word or short statement response as a young adult and I am confident that other readers of the divergent series will have a lot to say about the book as well.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Sounds like it might be a good decision. (Not just because I didn't vote for Divergent and probably wouldn't read it. I voted for The Absolutist.) The YA pop-culture books which are trending are likely to get a lot of votes, but it's a flavor-of-the-month kind of thing. A subforum would be good, as I think the audience is a somewhat limited demographic. I agree with Fran; I'd like to see books offered for BOTM that aren't so much in the mainstream.
Last edited by PashaRu on 29 Apr 2014, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Aubinelizabeth
Favorite Author: S.E. Hinton
Favorite Book: To Kill A Mocking Bird
Currently Reading: 12 Years A Slave
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubinelizabeth.html
fav_author_id: 4089

Post by Aubinelizabeth »

I think the audience is not just limited to young adults and movie goers. I am 24 but I know people in their 50s who habe completed the series
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

PashaRu wrote:Sounds like it might be a good decision. (Not just because I didn't vote for Divergent and probably wouldn't read it. I voted for The Absolutist.) The YA pop-culture books which are trending are likely to get a lot of votes, but it's a flavor-of-the-month kind of thing. A subforum would be good, as I think the audience is a somewhat limited demographic. I agree with Fran; I'd like to see books offered for BOTM that aren't so much in the mainstream.

I agree. I would like to see more books that aren't as mainstream. I am 22 and still haven't read the Divergent Series and am not really all that interested in it. While I will read it, and it is on my list to read eventually I didn't vote for it. I definitely think there should be a sub forum for all the popular books.
Fran

Post by Fran »

@Aubinelizabeth
I wasn't suggesting Divergent shouldn't be the BOTM - it was nominated, Scott accepted its nomination, it got most votes ... end of as they say!
What I was suggesting is that the criteria for nominating a book be changed to favour books that are not on the best seller lists but that's just my personal opinion.
As it happens I have two stacks of books to get through so it kinda suits that I have no interest in reading the June book or the last couple of BOTM books, gives me chance to catch up with my list.
I suggested a sub-forum for YA as it seems to be quite a popular genre & having it's own sub forum would make the site easier to navigate for members interested in that particular genre. No way was I suggesting anything negative about readers of the YA genre.

@TrishaAnn92
Personally I would not favour a sub forum for popular books as I think it's just a)too broad a term & b) too subjective & would probably just be a duplication General Book & Reading Forum (again just my opinion) :)
- My Home by Clive James
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

:) I see what you mean. I do think a sub forum for the YA genre would be a good idea.
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

I've read Divergent and finished the series but it wasnt a favorite of mine. It is getting a lot of publicity right now and I am interested in seeing how the discussion goes for that particular book. Make sure to put in a disclaimer so that people dont give away the rest of the story line. I'm not sure of the best solution for this except for having bestsellers nominated one month and then not as popular books nominated the next month. If you try that maybe the lesser known books will have a chance of getting more attention here on the forums.
All I need is a new book and a place to read it...
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I read Divergent and liked it, but I'd like to try one of the lesser known ones myself.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Okay, I created a subforum for the genre of young adult fiction.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”