BOTM Change

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: BOTM Change

Post by gali »

May I also suggest that the offered books will be a stand alone and not part of a series?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

gali wrote:May I also suggest that the offered books will be a stand alone and not part of a series?
Yes, I was just about to say that too.

-- 02 May 2014 11:50 am --

With these new rules, I think it might be a good time for me to consider an improved way of nominating and voting for books. Basically, I'm thinking of writing some quick software that will automatically take users nominations and automatically run the vote. It might help do things like make sure that votes aren't late as a result of me missing deadlines :oops: and that previous books don't get nominated again.

Right now, I believe I have it set that new members, those with less than 10 posts, cannot vote at all and can't nominate books. With the updates I was also tossing around the idea of making that a little more sophisticated. Like (1) basing it off of previous participation in the actual BOTM discussions, (2) having a higher requirement to make nominations than to merely vote between the nominations, (3) maybe making the votes weighted so that users with higher post counts essentially get more votes, and this could be based on post activity only in the BOTM forums as opposed to sitewide. Any feedback on these ideas is appreciated.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

I agree with those who would prefer that the botm stand alone, not be part of a series. I just read Divergent and have not yet read the other two (I'm going to read them because I want to know what happens, but I have to say that so far I'm not too impressed). I'm wondering how the discussion will go, though. I doubt people will really be able to discuss Divergent alone, as it really is just like reading the beginning of the story. I'm guessing the discussion will end up covering all three books, as if the botm was the whole series, but I suppose we'll see.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Scott wrote:
gali wrote:May I also suggest that the offered books will be a stand alone and not part of a series?
Yes, I was just about to say that too.

-- 02 May 2014 11:50 am --

With these new rules, I think it might be a good time for me to consider an improved way of nominating and voting for books. Basically, I'm thinking of writing some quick software that will automatically take users nominations and automatically run the vote. It might help do things like make sure that votes aren't late as a result of me missing deadlines :oops: and that previous books don't get nominated again.

Right now, I believe I have it set that new members, those with less than 10 posts, cannot vote at all and can't nominate books. With the updates I was also tossing around the idea of making that a little more sophisticated. Like (1) basing it off of previous participation in the actual BOTM discussions, (2) having a higher requirement to make nominations than to merely vote between the nominations, (3) maybe making the votes weighted so that users with higher post counts essentially get more votes, and this could be based on post activity only in the BOTM forums as opposed to sitewide. Any feedback on these ideas is appreciated.
Good ideas. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

I like the idea of a Young Adult subforum, I happen to read a lot of it, I enjoy it AND I don't generally let my kids read something just because its popular, I read it first!
Also, I like the idea not having books that are made into movies as BOTM. I almost never see the movie as its generally a disappointment.
In the case of Divergent, and actually the Bone Season and Splintered, I rather like the idea of NOT having a series book as BOTM, 1- I don't want to read yet another series and 2- I am going to be constantly referring to Divergent as I can't remember what happened in which book now and I don't want to give spoilers to those who haven't read all 3 yet.
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I have implemented the new rules, which is reflected in the OP of the BOTM nominations topic. I ignored any nominations that I was aware were part of a series for the current vote that is up.

I'm sure you've also noticed I added the Young Adult genre to the specific books discussions section.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”