Anyone else feel lied to

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

GypsySpirit
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gypsyspirit.html

Re: Anyone else feel lied to

Post by GypsySpirit »

Thanks AMP76 and Fran :) I really didn't see that reviews-subforum while trying to navigate between the reviews team page and the online book club page, sorry XD But yep, I'd like to get some writing practice, too.
Aussie-reader

Post by Aussie-reader »

Just posting alternate point here - I just stumbled across this site and I like discussing books so I joined.

Did not even read the bit about reviewing books. :oops:

I hope it is ok to just join to post in the forum, is it ok if you don't actually want to do official reviews? :?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Aussie-reader wrote:Just posting alternate point here - I just stumbled across this site and I like discussing books so I joined.

Did not even read the bit about reviewing books. :oops:

I hope it is ok to just join to post in the forum, is it ok if you don't actually want to do official reviews? :?
Of course it is. Not all abroad do official reviews. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

I've done far more discussing and random game play posting than reviewing ;)
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
jamespoet
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: FAHRENHEIT 451
Currently Reading: THE FOREVER WAR and DANCING AZTECS
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamespoet.html
Latest Review: "Laikanist Times" by Dylan Malik Orchard
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by jamespoet »

Personally I joined the Review Team simply because I love to read, I love discussing my opinions on the books I read, and because getting a free copy of a book in exchange for my opinions seems like a fair exchange. And I perfectly understand the administrators want to ensure that I, or any other member for that member, am going to actually provide actual, well-written reviews rather than abuse the system.

However, I can understand the slight flustering at these rules were not clear at the beginning. It did seem very confusing to me for the first little while.

Something else that confuses me--and this is just a question, I actually enjoy this group--is why can't one reply to any of the reviews posted in the Review Team forum? I admit that I am not the most technologically savvy, and sometimes I am in general just a bit dense, so this might just be my own foolishness. But that also seems more confusing than it needs to be.
The joys of literature transcend the evils of the world. I believe in its miraculious baptism and emotional power of the words trickling down the page. To me, there is no higher artform...
gali

Post by gali »

jamespoet wrote:Personally I joined the Review Team simply because I love to read, I love discussing my opinions on the books I read, and because getting a free copy of a book in exchange for my opinions seems like a fair exchange. And I perfectly understand the administrators want to ensure that I, or any other member for that member, am going to actually provide actual, well-written reviews rather than abuse the system.

However, I can understand the slight flustering at these rules were not clear at the beginning. It did seem very confusing to me for the first little while.

Something else that confuses me--and this is just a question, I actually enjoy this group--is why can't one reply to any of the reviews posted in the Review Team forum? I admit that I am not the most technologically savvy, and sometimes I am in general just a bit dense, so this might just be my own foolishness. But that also seems more confusing than it needs to be.
The Review Team forum is only for books one get for review and Scott goes over them before publishing them. After Scott moves them to the regular forums, one can reply to them.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
jamespoet

Post by jamespoet »

gali wrote:The Review Team forum is only for books one get for review and Scott goes over them before publishing them. After Scott moves them to the regular forums, one can reply to them.
That makes perfect sense. Thanks for clearing that up.
The joys of literature transcend the evils of the world. I believe in its miraculious baptism and emotional power of the words trickling down the page. To me, there is no higher artform...
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

OK I admit it, I originally came here thinking about $$, I mean, who wouldn't love getting paid to read books, right?

I stayed because of all the lovely people and the exchange of ideas and I have read so many books that I never would have tried because of the people I have met here who hey, by the way, read books! that I really think that has been better, even though, sigh, I have ended up spending more money on books.... :wink:
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Butterfly74, I am in your position too.

I enjoy the site, the discussions with other readers and writers, and the opportunity to review interesting books and have people actually read my reviews once in a while! Yay!

HOWEVER, I DID join the site because I was hoping to bring in a small income stream for my family. That hasn't happened and doesn't sound like it will. So, if I want a part-time job as a freelance reviewer, I'll need to look elsewhere.
gali

Post by gali »

H0LD0Nthere wrote:Butterfly74, I am in your position too.

I enjoy the site, the discussions with other readers and writers, and the opportunity to review interesting books and have people actually read my reviews once in a while! Yay!

HOWEVER, I DID join the site because I was hoping to bring in a small income stream for my family. That hasn't happened and doesn't sound like it will. So, if I want a part-time job as a freelance reviewer, I'll need to look elsewhere.
If you look for a part time job, you should indeed look elsewhere as well. While there are some paid reviews here, they are not enough to supply a small income stream.
A retired Admin/Mod

jamespoet

Post by jamespoet »

gali wrote:If you look for a part time job, you should indeed look elsewhere as well. While there are some paid reviews here, they are not enough to supply a small income stream.
Yes, definately. And paid reviews should still be done under the same attitude as unpaid reviews--for the sole joy of reading and giving one's opinions on what was read. That's the main reason I wanted to do the reviewing, and led to my confusion and initial frustration with the rankings--I wanted to jump right in and share my reading opinions with others. But I learned to be patient, and so far I am happy with everything.
kiwes
Favorite Author: Daniel Black
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: Who Do I Run To
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiwes.html

Post by kiwes »

I haven't had any free books on here to review at all, and was about to post a question asking how do you go about finding the free eBooks here for review, but now I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post my own reviews of many books I've already read, or where on this site do I find the books? I love to read and would love to be able to review, but I can't seem to find where those free books are? I saw something that stated partial stories, but not books?

I like this site and I'm still new to it and trying to learn, but not sure when I will be qualified enough to be a reviewer? So I sort of understand why the question came about. I'm still learning, so I'm trying to hang in there. If someone would be kind enough to help us along, that would be great too!
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

kiwes wrote:I haven't had any free books on here to review at all, and was about to post a question asking how do you go about finding the free eBooks here for review, but now I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post my own reviews of many books I've already read, or where on this site do I find the books? I love to read and would love to be able to review, but I can't seem to find where those free books are? I saw something that stated partial stories, but not books?

I like this site and I'm still new to it and trying to learn, but not sure when I will be qualified enough to be a reviewer? So I sort of understand why the question came about. I'm still learning, so I'm trying to hang in there. If someone would be kind enough to help us along, that would be great too!
Once you are on the Review Team, then whenever you go to Forum Home, the very topmost forum you see should be "Review Team Homepage." When you open that, it will show a list of books from which you can choose to review. To be clear, the free books are usually downloads - electronic not hard copy versions. When you select "Review Book," you will get instructions about how to download it. That is your free copy, then you are expected to review the book (but of course don't share it with anyone else, it is only YOUR free copy).

From the number of your posts, it looks like you should qualify to be on the review team. I think you can indicate that you're interested in being on the review team by changing preferences in your Control Panel, but I forget.
kismoody
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kismoody.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by kismoody »

A little bit. It said you could review for money and I've yet to see a review that paid and I'm at level 4. Also, I feel like I haven't found a lot that really interest me to review. To top it off, I make all the requirements for level 5 except for the 1 paid review. It's kind of frustrating, but I have gotten pretty hooked on the site. I can't blame you, however. I can see how you feel disillusioned.
annatmitchell

Post by annatmitchell »

I hope it's not that way. I just joined today.......I like to read anyway though.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”