Tapatalk

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

jechamer
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jechamer.html
Latest Review: "Death is a Machine" by Zebulon Grey

Tapatalk

Post by jechamer »

My husband was watching me go through the 200+ unread posts tonight using my tablet and suggested I download the tapatalk application which he uses to go through the forums he is on. When I downloaded it, this forum was not on there. Do you have support for some other app for the phone/tablet (I use Android) and if not, is this something you could check into as you have time?
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I would like to make a mobile-friendly version of the site and/or a mobile app of my own.

-- 08 Mar 2014 05:21 pm --

Perhaps you could help me develop such by telling me what you would need changed to make the site more tablet/mobile friendly.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
jechamer

Post by jechamer »

I would love to help you out any way possible.

https://support.tapatalk.com/#tapatalk- ... support.11 - here's the information for the Tapatalk and API support.

The main thing I would like to see is to have a way for viewing the unread posts easier. Right now, it seems that the following steps have to be followed:
-- click Forum Home
-- click unread post
-- click an unread post and read it, then start over again at Forum Home.

If there was a way to be able to click the unread posts and go directly back to the list, it would save alot of time. Having this available from the web would help alot as it would work for mobile or PC.

Having a mobile app would be awesome as apps are usually much faster than browsers.

-- 09 Mar 2014, 21:27 --

I would love to help you out any way possible.

https://support.tapatalk.com/#tapatalk- ... support.11 - here's the information for the Tapatalk and API support.

The main thing I would like to see is to have a way for viewing the unread posts easier. Right now, it seems that the following steps have to be followed:
-- click Forum Home
-- click unread post
-- click an unread post and read it, then start over again at Forum Home.

If there was a way to be able to click the unread posts and go directly back to the list, it would save alot of time. Having this available from the web would help alot as it would work for mobile or PC.

Having a mobile app would be awesome as apps are usually much faster than browsers.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

For that, couldn't I just put the link on the Forum Index to "view unread posts" in the header so it displays on every page?

-- 12 Mar 2014 03:33 pm --

Okay, I modified the header to include a link to "New Posts" to avoid having to go to the Forum Index for that link.

However, I would like more feedback about how to either make the site overall more mobile-friendly or what would be wanted in a mobile version of the site.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

jechamer

Post by jechamer »

Yeah if you put unread posts in the header too that would help alot?

If there was a way to see a list of only the unread posts not necessarily the whole thread, with an option to go to the full thread if you want, I think that would make it more mobile friendly, kind of like unread emails. Also to be able to reply from the unread post would be good. I think this would save space and bandwidth.

-- 13 Mar 2014, 21:52 --

Thinking it through a little more - what I have above I think is optimal but I don't know if that's too hard to do. If it is, if when you click on the thread and it takes you to your last unread post as the top of the screen that would work too. I think to do this kind of thing you would need to display the posts as records not as one web page.

-- 13 Mar 2014, 21:53 --

Does this make sense?
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

There is a little icon on the right side of the link to the topic under the column that would take you to the first unread post in the topic, and should adjust the browser to jump down to that part of the page.

I'm not sure what you mean by displaying them as records rather than a webpage.

It would be possible to make it so only the unread posts are displayed at all.

-- 14 Mar 2014 11:40 am --

Maybe what would be really helpful here is if I could get a handful of people who regularly use mobile devices to browse the internet and hopefully regularly use their mobile device to browse this forum. We could start a group discussion or continue here on the matter of making a more mobile-friendly version of the site, either by modifications of the normal template or by having a whole different mobile template. The reason it might be especially helpful to have a group is not just to have more concerns and ideas tosses around, but because mobile devices differ in size, browser and usability too. I'd hate to make a great website for an ipad but that still is clunky to use on an Android cellphone or vice versa.

jechamer

Post by jechamer »

A discussion group sounds like a good idea to me. I use PC (Windows), tablet and phone (Android) to look at the site. A website would be easier to do rather than an app since the apps are so OS and version specific.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I sometimes surf from my Android cell and have no troubles.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Thanks for the feedback. I am just going to make a global topic about this and hopefully get some advice.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”