[SOLVED] Server connection problems

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Mom2Grey
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mom2grey.html

[SOLVED] Server connection problems

Post by Mom2Grey »

Anyone else having tremendous difficulty connecting to this server???
WendyM
Favorite Author: Neil Gaiman
Favorite Book: Mythago Wood
fav_author_id: 3586

Post by WendyM »

Yeah, since yesterday morning, at least. It takes Chrome two goes to find the site, then each page is tremendously slow to load.
Mom2Grey

Post by Mom2Grey »

Thank you, Wendy (I'm always afraid its just me!).
Its been really bad since early yesterday. Most of the time, not able to connect at all. Just shut out completely.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Yes it has been particularly bad for the last week or so. I have PM's Scott about it & hopefully he can do something to improve it.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
WendyM
Favorite Author: Neil Gaiman
Favorite Book: Mythago Wood
fav_author_id: 3586

Post by WendyM »

Thanks Fran :)
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Yup ... me too. At first I thought it was just my home connection or some glitch with my computer but I'm having the same problem connecting from work as well.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
serenity01

Post by serenity01 »

It's been about 6 months since I've been here, in that time I've tried off and on to login, this is my first time being successful. It's been very frustrating. Anyway hello to all that may remember me.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I am working on this issue. Please keep me updated.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I had problems as well and the site is very slow to load as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

On my desktop its a little slow but not bad. On my laptop it works pretty good. Nothing like the problems a month or so ago.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
DATo

Post by DATo »

Scott,

Seems to be working better (for me) the last few days. 11/7/13 till now 11/9/13. Still a bit more lag than other sites when logging in from time to time but better than before.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Mom2Grey

Post by Mom2Grey »

Ditto DATo
bartleby51
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bartleby51.html

Post by bartleby51 »

Sounds like it's time to upgrade the server. Connection problems usually mean a server is too "busy" to handle all the demands for access. I thought it might just have been weekend traffic, but the "server not found" message has been popping up during the week too. Trying to connect between 8 and 10 in the morning, EST, was impossible.
DATo

Post by DATo »

bartleby51 wrote:Sounds like it's time to upgrade the server. Connection problems usually mean a server is too "busy" to handle all the demands for access. I thought it might just have been weekend traffic, but the "server not found" message has been popping up during the week too. Trying to connect between 8 and 10 in the morning, EST, was impossible.
I've been getting that message too and tend to agree with you that the server may be periodically overloaded. Sometimes I have found that by persistently attempting to log on I can get in on the second or third try and sometimes not at all. At other times getting in is quick and effortless. Overall things seem to have improved a bit on my end but it still seems to be acting flaky from time to time.
― Steven Wright
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I have been working on this issue a lot this last week. One thing I did was overhaul the reviews digest page at:

http://onlinebookclub.org/reviews/

Which offers an organized list of all the official reviews published on the site. It also highlights a few of the discussion topics from the "Discussions about specific books" forums. The cool thing is that the new format not only is a lot more efficient on the backend as far as server load but gives a lot more usability to the page by sorting reviews onto different pages by genre and by hiding older and non-positive reviews by default.

I have also been making numerous other changes that do not effect the user experience but that decrease load on the server and make it run more efficiently.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”