[CLOSED] No books to review?

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Saoirse200
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saoirse200.html
Latest Review: "Trespass" by Christopher M. Gibbons

[CLOSED] No books to review?

Post by Saoirse200 »

I am at level five and I have been a member of this site for a good few months now.What I don't understand is that there are not even any free books for me to review , and paid opportunities are also very rare lately. I was wondering has anybody else had this problem?
AnaF
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaf.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by AnaF »

I've been having the same problem. I'm also at level 5 but lately it's been hard to snag a paid review and in the last couple of days, there have been no books at all to review
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I am working on this issue. There is a lot of demand from newer members of the review team to have books to review.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Saoirse200
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saoirse200.html

Post by Saoirse200 »

Thanks for your help, there are free books available to me now :)
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

There should be numerous free reviews available now, and more are coming in every day. I wanted to work on improving the server efficiency and any other errors before continuing to seek out new review opportunities so that now we can hopefully push them through well.

But remember to take time reading the books carefully and giving quality reviews. With so many reviewers wanting to review books, it is a good chance to make sure quality standards are being maintained.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

Cheryl Rendone
Favorite Author: Ellen Hopkins
Favorite Book: Identical
Currently Reading: Red Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-rendone.html
Latest Review: Third Chances by Dan Petrosini
fav_author_id: 3134

Post by Cheryl Rendone »

I understand that you, @Scott have been having issues with the free/paid book reviews being available. I am having issues viewing them on my account, but it states that you're working on it. I just wanted to check in with you and see how things were progressing.

Thank you
soccerstar95
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soccerstar95.html
Latest Review: "Introducing The Helmholtz Resonators" by The Helmholtz Resonators, illustrated by James Lightfoot

Post by soccerstar95 »

Hi Scott,

I'm at Level 4 and there aren't any paid/free reviews available. Would appreciate an update at your earliest convenience.

Regards.
Latest Review: "Introducing The Helmholtz Resonators" by The Helmholtz Resonators, illustrated by James Lightfoot
Adonis Maratos
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: thief of time
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adonis-maratos.html
Latest Review: "All myths and facts about Sri Ganesh" by Raja Bhowmik
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Adonis Maratos »

soccerstar95 wrote:Hi Scott,

I'm at Level 4 and there aren't any paid/free reviews available. Would appreciate an update at your earliest convenience.

Regards.
there is one at the moment, it's free but it's not very appealing :p check it out
"We are what we repeatedly do, excellence; therefore is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle
britt1125
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt1125.html
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis

Post by britt1125 »

Thanks.
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis
Ian
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ian.html

Post by Ian »

If a level 4 is getting no books to review,there is no hope for a 0. I think I call it a day on this site. I'm not just going to post for the sake of it.
Adonis Maratos
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: thief of time
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adonis-maratos.html
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Adonis Maratos »

well the reviewer score thing screwed me over and I guess other people too so you have a chance :p
"We are what we repeatedly do, excellence; therefore is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle
thankyou
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankyou.html
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell

Post by thankyou »

@ Adonis Maratos - Yeah same here. I was initially level 3 and was going to be level 4 after I had submitted my recent review, but this new system brought me back to level 1 !!!!!!! Now I have to work all over again to reach my previous level. Aaaarrgghhhhhh !!!!!

-- 02 Mar 2014, 11:50 --
@Scott - I do not have a single review opportunity - neither free nor paid. I have already set my preferences suitably.
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

I have not had a single review opportunity for two weeks now. And I had only one or two to choose from for a bit before that. I'm trying really hard to be patient and I'm checking as frequently as I can, but I'm getting frustrated. Is there a certain time that would be best to check for new reviews?
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I'm sorry for the shortage of opportunities many of you are experiences. I appreciate your patience.

Please understand that I am trying to think longterm here. I worked on implementing the new reviewer score system first to create a better organized distribution of opportunities so that as new review opportunities and new reviewers come in we do not see the same problems we have been seeing over the last few weeks and intermittently in the past before that.

I have just put through a handful of new review opportunities. More opportunities will be coming, as well as slight adjustments to the review scoring formula and/or levels to ensure distribution matches availability flow.

-- 05 Mar 2014 04:39 pm --

Okay, I have adjusted the criteria and limitations for levels. This will help to ensure those who have earned their place as a level 5 reviewer will continue to have sufficient review opportunities.

I have also made a change that will restrict newer, lower level reviewers from picking another book until their pending submission is approved.

All of these new changes put together should ensure that throughout the future there will be a good selection of review opportunities and that they will trickle down properly to the lower level reviewers.

One of the most helpful changes overall provide more ways for newer reviewers to establish themselves rather than just encouraging them to blow through as many reviews as quickly as possible to reach level 5 which actually only increased the likelihood of a review opportunity shortage. The new system allows newer members to move up the levels in much larger part by working on that which actually makes the authors submitting reviews want them to review their book, such as quality and visibility of the review as well as the reviewer's gravity in the forum/community.

lemming
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lemming.html
Latest Review: "Broken Land, A Brooklyn Tale" by John Biscello

Post by lemming »

Scott, my review of the new reviewer score system is it would be best for authors and the site if the system gave much mote weight to your editorial rating of previous reviews posted. I am not just saying this because it's one of the only areas in which I have a high score, but you've taken the trouble to have a human moderator rate review quality, so it's only fair to writers to give them the highest quality reviews the site can offer. I think participation in the forums should be rewarded separately (maybe you get a fancy title next to your name in your posts) but it makes no difference to writers if the reviewer has participated in the forums, and I'm not sure you want to reward the kind of "participation" that is measured by sheer volume of posts.

I also believe popularity of reviews is a misleading metric especially when we are reviewing self-published books by unknown writers. My thread about "the giving tree" was at one point the most discussed in its category, not because my review quality was better than other posts I've made with no replies and few views, but because more people wanted to discuss the book.I'm willing to bet the most poorly written review of a new stephen king book would be more discussed and viewed than my review of a self-published book about niagara falls.

my suggestions are what I would do if this were my site. I would like to see the review team succeed as I think it has the potential to be a valuable service for both indie writers and reviewers.
Latest Review: "Broken Land, A Brooklyn Tale" by John Biscello

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”