Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Off-Topic » Suggestion Box

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Have you ever been paid for the reviews

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

If you have a question or problem regarding the review team system, whether as author or a reviewer, please use the private contact forum.

Re: Have you ever been paid for the reviews

Post Number:#76 by maedae123
» 03 May 2015, 21:18

Scott wrote:
maedae123 wrote:I have done that already and still no book to review. Am I doing something wrong or is it a glitch?

Are you getting a message about there not being any books to review? If so, what does the message say exactly?

I just checked the database and it looks like you never checked your reviewer score at all and thus no list of books would be displayed until the score refreshed and the message should reflect that.

Thank you Scott!!! That helped a lot. I didn't think to update my score! I have books to read now!!!! :mrgreen:
maedae123

Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Bookshelf Size: 25 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#77 by ale5380
» 03 May 2015, 22:56

what level do you have to be to get access to the paid reviews? and do they really send you free copies of books to your home adress?
ale5380

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#78 by gali
» 04 May 2015, 00:59

ale5380 wrote:what level do you have to be to get access to the paid reviews? and do they really send you free copies of books to your home adress?

You have to be at least level 2 to get access to low paid reviews.

Books in traditional format (paperback/hardcover) are no longer sent. There are just free ebooks for reviews now.

Please read it for more info:

REVIEW TEAM AND REVIEW REQUEST ISSUES - Read this first
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Lie Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1611 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 36%

Post Number:#79 by amybo82
» 04 Jun 2015, 23:51

I've definitely been getting paid for reviews! It's so awesome! I've noticed there are many more paid reviews in the last month or two than earlier in the year. Maybe that's because I reached a higher level...

Online Book Club is an excellent way to get a little reward for doing something I love to do anyway--read and review books!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
Publishing Contest ~ 17 Votes ~ View amybo82's Entry
amybo82

Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Dogs Don't Tell Jokes
Bookshelf Size: 141 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:

Post Number:#80 by Circling Turtle
» 11 Jun 2015, 07:49

I'm really enjoying this site and the few reviews I've done so far. I haven't reached the paying level just yet but I'm working towards it... Just out of interest, how much do the higher paying reviews pay? And the low to average reviews? I know I won't be able to quit my day job but it would be nice to know :)
Circling Turtle

Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#81 by Scott
» 12 Jun 2015, 09:57

Circling Turtle wrote:I'm really enjoying this site and the few reviews I've done so far. I haven't reached the paying level just yet but I'm working towards it... Just out of interest, how much do the higher paying reviews pay? And the low to average reviews? I know I won't be able to quit my day job but it would be nice to know :)

The range is listed on the explanation page for the review team system. Currently, I am working on an adjustment that is going to base the amount not just on the particular book but also on the reviewer's level. This will most likely be rolled out by first offering the top-level reviewers a certain extra amount for every review. When rolled out, the extra amount will be listed in the levels criteria table on the reviewer score page.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Publishing Contest ~ 960 Votes ~ View Scott's Entry
Scott
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 186 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Nook Simple
2017 Reading Goal: 36 Books
Goal Completion: 11%

Post Number:#82 by Circling Turtle
» 12 Jun 2015, 16:17

Thanks Scott, just saw the range. Thank you for doing such a great job managing this site, it really is an inspired idea.
Circling Turtle

Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#83 by Mysterious
» 17 Jul 2015, 21:42

The problem is, you have to have PayPal to get paid. I refuse to ever use PayPal again because they keep part of the money and you will never get it from them. They claim it's "temporary" but they took hundreds from me 4 years ago, so that is not temporary! and it's not only me. Many have claims against them, but we'll never see that money. I wish we could get paid directly into our own bank accounts. It's safer that way anyhow. I can't be paid because of PayPal, but I still want to review books.
Mysterious

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#84 by khudecek
» 18 Jul 2015, 06:16

Mysterious wrote:The problem is, you have to have PayPal to get paid. I refuse to ever use PayPal again because they keep part of the money and you will never get it from them. They claim it's "temporary" but they took hundreds from me 4 years ago, so that is not temporary! and it's not only me. Many have claims against them, but we'll never see that money. I wish we could get paid directly into our own bank accounts. It's safer that way anyhow. I can't be paid because of PayPal, but I still want to review books.

I had a mysterious five dollars in the account for a long time. It was actually $5.85. Now, when I log in, all I have is the 85 cents. The five bucks is gone and I didn't transfer it to my bank account. They took it?
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
khudecek's Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes
khudecek

Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#85 by Scott
» 18 Jul 2015, 08:15

Mysterious wrote:The problem is, you have to have PayPal to get paid. I refuse to ever use PayPal again because they keep part of the money and you will never get it from them. They claim it's "temporary" but they took hundreds from me 4 years ago, so that is not temporary! and it's not only me. Many have claims against them, but we'll never see that money. I wish we could get paid directly into our own bank accounts. It's safer that way anyhow. I can't be paid because of PayPal, but I still want to review books.

I am sorry to hear that story.

What was PayPal's reason for taking your money?

PayPal has been working for us fairly well, and most reviewers seem satisfied with the current system, but I will definitely look into being able to offer an optional alternative payment method. It will take a little time to figure out the best way to do that and work it in on the back-end. Still, I think an option can't hurt. :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Publishing Contest ~ 960 Votes ~ View Scott's Entry
Scott
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 186 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Nook Simple
2017 Reading Goal: 36 Books
Goal Completion: 11%

Post Number:#86 by amybo82
» 20 Jul 2015, 14:55

I've been using PayPal for about 15 years--since it first started. I've not had any problems like the ones you've mentioned, but I could certainly understand your frustration with them keeping money!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
Publishing Contest ~ 17 Votes ~ View amybo82's Entry
amybo82

Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Dogs Don't Tell Jokes
Bookshelf Size: 141 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:

Post Number:#87 by lourdesinwonderland
» 27 Aug 2015, 21:37

In what level do I have to be in order to be able to do some paid reviews? Do I have to write a certain number of posts and stuff? I've only just joined and I'd like to know. Thank you!
lourdesinwonderland

Currently Reading: The Dark Half
Bookshelf Size: 92 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#88 by Gravy
» 27 Aug 2015, 21:51

lourdesinwonderland wrote:In what level do I have to be in order to be able to do some paid reviews? Do I have to write a certain number of posts and stuff? I've only just joined and I'd like to know. Thank you!

This link should help you with basic info, as well as tell you how to find out anything else :)
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: Too Many To List
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Lord of the Flies
Bookshelf Size: 856 books
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 40%

Post Number:#89 by P_hernandez
» 12 May 2016, 09:17

Ive reviewed 7 books with three published reviews and I haven't had any opportunities to be paid. I'm almost to level 2, though, so I hope once I reach that level, I will at least get one paid opportunity. I've been doing this since January and some of the books have been good and some...could use some work lol.
P_hernandez's Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones
P_hernandez

Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#90 by Vermont Reviews
» 12 May 2016, 09:29

Keep posting and you'll all get there. Never, Never, Never Quit.

Vermont Reviews
Vermont Reviews

Favorite Book: Scam Prevention
Currently Reading: Storm of Arranon
Bookshelf Size: 342 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 300 Books
Goal Completion: 14%

PreviousNext