Featured Book

Sub-Forum for 'Romance'

Put your comments, suggestions, and questions about the forums here. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.

Sub-Forum for 'Romance'

Post Number:#1  Postby Lakelander » 18 Jul 2012, 05:58

In 'Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series', I was surprised to find there is no sub-forum for 'Romance' so as the author of a recently published Award Winning romantic novel, I am keen to know why not? Is there some reason for this and if not, could a 'Romance' sub-forum be perhaps created.
Lakelander

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Sub-Forum for 'Romance'

Post Number:#2  Postby Scott » 22 Jul 2012, 02:22

Yes, I think this is a good idea. I will likely add a romance section in the next few days.

I think I want a long-term plan though as to how we want to categorize books into genres. We don't want to be too specific or too general because either way leads to non-user-friendly navigation. Does anyone have any proposals for an exhaustive list of genres?

Right now we have:

Crime/Thrillers/Mystery/Horror
Classic Books
Non-Fiction
Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Romance (proposed)
Other fiction (i.e. the main forum of which those are all subforums)

Any other suggested genres?
Online Book Club ~ Tell your friends!

"Only the descent into the hell of self-knowledge can pave the way to godliness." -Immanuel Kant
Scott
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Post Number:#3  Postby Lakelander » 22 Jul 2012, 04:27

That's really great, I look forward to browsing the new 'Romance' sub-forum shortly.
May I suggest a long-term plan be based on the two sections of literature, ie, Pure Fiction and Non-Fiction, with a third section, Classic Books, in effect, spanning the two. I was tempted to further suggest Pure fiction be split again, in to Contemporary Fiction and Classic Fiction, but on reflection, even this becomes something of a minefield and would, I think, cause confusion and perhaps some dissention.
Equally, I feel attemping to Categorise Non-Fiction could be the ultimate minefield. The list would be endless, because each non-fiction reader has his/her own personal specific and detailed subject of interest.
My conclusion therefore, would be to keep it simple. How about setting three separate main headings, as follows:-

#1. Fiction. Seven sub-forums, comprising, Thrillers, Mystery, Romance, Crime, Horror, together with Fantasy and Sci-Fi each having their own sub-forums.
#2, Non-Fiction (encompassing every subject under the sun, excluding only fiction).
#3. Classic books (made up of both Fiction and Non-Fiction).

Not strikingly original, I know, but comfortingly familiar to OLBC readers and I believe, both logical and accurate.
Lakelander

Post Number:#4  Postby Fran » 22 Jul 2012, 13:36

@Lakelander
Sounds like an awful lot of unnecessary complication .... I suggest sticking with KISS
"The trouble is, you think you have time." Buddha
Fran

Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina

Post Number:#5  Postby Scott » 27 Jul 2012, 17:16

KISS?

"Only the descent into the hell of self-knowledge can pave the way to godliness." -Immanuel Kant
Scott
Site Admin

Post Number:#6  Postby Fran » 27 Jul 2012, 17:23

Fran

Post Number:#7  Postby Lakelander » 28 Jul 2012, 03:37

Actually, I wondered what the significance of 'KISS' was in this context. Is it Fran's shorthand for Romance? Perhaps 'KISS & TELL' might be better. On second thoughts, make that 'KISS & I PROMISE NOT TO TELL'
Lakelander

Post Number:#8  Postby Fran » 28 Jul 2012, 03:55

Lakelander wrote:Actually, I wondered what the significance of 'KISS' was in this context. Is it Fran's shorthand for Romance? Perhaps 'KISS & TELL' might be better. On second thoughts, make that 'KISS & I PROMISE NOT TO TELL'

Click on the link in my last post ..... got absolutely nothing to do with romance it's a long-established acronym used in the IT industry and recommended to process and product developers. Although on second thoughts it probably is advisable not to over-complicate romance either! :wink:
Fran

Post Number:#9  Postby Lakelander » 28 Jul 2012, 04:11

A uncomplicated Romance? That'll be the day!

-- 21 Aug 2012, 11:20 --

Hi Scott! Re. Post Number:#1 and #3. just wondering what the position is regarding a separate Romance Sub-Forum. Second thoughts suggest the Romance category is wide ranging enough to be split time wise into Historical Romance and Contemporary Romance. Yours aye!

-- 21 Aug 2012, 11:42 --

Hi Scott! Re. Post Number:#1 and #3. just wondering what the position is regarding a separate Romance Sub-Forum. Second thoughts suggest the Romance category is wide ranging enough to be split time wise into Historical Romance and Contemporary Romance. Yours aye!
Lakelander Posts: 47Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 12:57
Lakelander

Post Number:#10  Postby Graverobber » 27 Aug 2014, 05:30

A sub forum for paranormal romance would be much appreciated as well. It's almost useless to me as is because I don't read contemperary. If it's not weird it's not me.
Also Horror could use one too.
I like my horror to be supernaturally inclined.
Please?
“To appreciate the beauty of a snowflake, it is necessary to stand out in the cold."
Graverobber

Favorite Author: Too Many To List
Favorite Book: As Many As There Are Stars In The Sky

Post Number:#11  Postby Fran » 27 Aug 2014, 06:17

Graverobber wrote:A sub forum for paranormal romance would be much appreciated as well. It's almost useless to me as is because I don't read contemperary. If it's not weird it's not me.
Please?

It's for Scott to decide but IMO we are OK as is - I don't see any advantage in having a multiplicity of sub-forums (fora?)
Fran

Post Number:#12  Postby ALynnPowers » 27 Aug 2014, 08:26

We say "KISS" at my work! "Keep It Super Simple!"
If I had to suggest a topic, it would be for Young Adult/Juvenile fiction... but I think that subforum for that somewhere already... maybe within the "other" category. No biggie... I haven't had any problem navigating the forums the way the are... so far!
"We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop." -Mother Teresa
ALynnPowers

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#13  Postby gali » 27 Aug 2014, 08:32

ALynnPowers wrote:We say "KISS" at my work! "Keep It Super Simple!"
If I had to suggest a topic, it would be for Young Adult/Juvenile fiction... but I think that subforum for that somewhere already... maybe within the "other" category. No biggie... I haven't had any problem navigating the forums the way the are... so far!

We already have such a forum, here:

YA

-- August 27th, 2014, 4:32 pm --

Fran wrote:
Graverobber wrote:A sub forum for paranormal romance would be much appreciated as well. It's almost useless to me as is because I don't read contemperary. If it's not weird it's not me.
Please?

It's for Scott to decide but IMO we are OK as is - I don't see any advantage in having a multiplicity of sub-forums (fora?)

I agree with Fran.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#14  Postby Graverobber » 27 Aug 2014, 17:22

I tried to post to ask if there was a way to sort the different types out from the rest but it directed me to post on this thread.
If there is a way how would I do that?
I rarely read streight up romance. Just wondering.
“To appreciate the beauty of a snowflake, it is necessary to stand out in the cold."
Graverobber

Favorite Author: Too Many To List
Favorite Book: As Many As There Are Stars In The Sky

Post Number:#15  Postby Scott » 28 Aug 2014, 20:41

Graverobber wrote:I tried to post to ask if there was a way to sort the different types out from the rest but it directed me to post on this thread.
If there is a way how would I do that?
I rarely read streight up romance. Just wondering.

I don't understand the question. What are you trying to do exactly?

Scott
Site Admin

Next