Featured Review

Welcome

• Welcome to the Book and Reading Forums! If you are a member, please log in. Otherwise, please join now! It's quick, easy and free!

Sub-Forum for 'Romance'

Put your comments, suggestions, and questions about the forums here. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.

Sub-Forum for 'Romance'

Post Number:#1  Postby Lakelander » 18 Jul 2012, 05:58

In 'Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series', I was surprised to find there is no sub-forum for 'Romance' so as the author of a recently published Award Winning romantic novel, I am keen to know why not? Is there some reason for this and if not, could a 'Romance' sub-forum be perhaps created.
Lakelander

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Sub-Forum for 'Romance'

Post Number:#2  Postby Scott » 22 Jul 2012, 02:22

Yes, I think this is a good idea. I will likely add a romance section in the next few days.

I think I want a long-term plan though as to how we want to categorize books into genres. We don't want to be too specific or too general because either way leads to non-user-friendly navigation. Does anyone have any proposals for an exhaustive list of genres?

Right now we have:

Crime/Thrillers/Mystery/Horror
Classic Books
Non-Fiction
Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Romance (proposed)
Other fiction (i.e. the main forum of which those are all subforums)

Any other suggested genres?
Online Book Club ~ Tell your friends!

"Only the descent into the hell of self-knowledge can pave the way to godliness." -Immanuel Kant
Scott
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Post Number:#3  Postby Lakelander » 22 Jul 2012, 04:27

That's really great, I look forward to browsing the new 'Romance' sub-forum shortly.
May I suggest a long-term plan be based on the two sections of literature, ie, Pure Fiction and Non-Fiction, with a third section, Classic Books, in effect, spanning the two. I was tempted to further suggest Pure fiction be split again, in to Contemporary Fiction and Classic Fiction, but on reflection, even this becomes something of a minefield and would, I think, cause confusion and perhaps some dissention.
Equally, I feel attemping to Categorise Non-Fiction could be the ultimate minefield. The list would be endless, because each non-fiction reader has his/her own personal specific and detailed subject of interest.
My conclusion therefore, would be to keep it simple. How about setting three separate main headings, as follows:-

#1. Fiction. Seven sub-forums, comprising, Thrillers, Mystery, Romance, Crime, Horror, together with Fantasy and Sci-Fi each having their own sub-forums.
#2, Non-Fiction (encompassing every subject under the sun, excluding only fiction).
#3. Classic books (made up of both Fiction and Non-Fiction).

Not strikingly original, I know, but comfortingly familiar to OLBC readers and I believe, both logical and accurate.
Lakelander

Post Number:#4  Postby Fran » 22 Jul 2012, 13:36

@Lakelander
Sounds like an awful lot of unnecessary complication .... I suggest sticking with KISS
"When all is said and done - there's a lot more said than done."
Fran

Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina

Post Number:#5  Postby Scott » 27 Jul 2012, 17:16

KISS?
Online Book Club ~ Tell your friends!

"Only the descent into the hell of self-knowledge can pave the way to godliness." -Immanuel Kant
Scott
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Post Number:#6  Postby Fran » 27 Jul 2012, 17:23

Fran

Post Number:#7  Postby Lakelander » 28 Jul 2012, 03:37

Actually, I wondered what the significance of 'KISS' was in this context. Is it Fran's shorthand for Romance? Perhaps 'KISS & TELL' might be better. On second thoughts, make that 'KISS & I PROMISE NOT TO TELL'
Lakelander

Post Number:#8  Postby Fran » 28 Jul 2012, 03:55

Lakelander wrote:Actually, I wondered what the significance of 'KISS' was in this context. Is it Fran's shorthand for Romance? Perhaps 'KISS & TELL' might be better. On second thoughts, make that 'KISS & I PROMISE NOT TO TELL'

Click on the link in my last post ..... got absolutely nothing to do with romance it's a long-established acronym used in the IT industry and recommended to process and product developers. Although on second thoughts it probably is advisable not to over-complicate romance either! :wink:
Fran

Post Number:#9  Postby Lakelander » 28 Jul 2012, 04:11

A uncomplicated Romance? That'll be the day!

-- 21 Aug 2012, 11:20 --

Hi Scott! Re. Post Number:#1 and #3. just wondering what the position is regarding a separate Romance Sub-Forum. Second thoughts suggest the Romance category is wide ranging enough to be split time wise into Historical Romance and Contemporary Romance. Yours aye!

-- 21 Aug 2012, 11:42 --

Hi Scott! Re. Post Number:#1 and #3. just wondering what the position is regarding a separate Romance Sub-Forum. Second thoughts suggest the Romance category is wide ranging enough to be split time wise into Historical Romance and Contemporary Romance. Yours aye!
Lakelander Posts: 47Joined: 03 Jul 2012, 12:57
Lakelander