Please help - no email to upload my book!

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

ricksta10001
Bookshelf Size: 0

Please help - no email to upload my book!

Post by ricksta10001 »

I have registered my book for review but I have not received the email to upload my book. There is no option to re-request this!

And yes, I've checked my spam folder.

Thanks in advance
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I have PMed you a link to use to request it be resent.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Harvey2014

Post by Harvey2014 »

Having the same problem - no e-mail link to upload my book. Can you help?
TammyEckert18

Post by TammyEckert18 »

I am having the same problem.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Did you both check your spam/junk folder?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

carelle

Post by carelle »

I'm having the same problem. I didn't see anything that explained that I was to wait for an email to upload my book. I hit submit, paid the fee and got a payment confirmation. I have not gotten any email directing me to upload my book. How long should this take and how long does it take to have one's book read and reviewed?

Thanks,
RM
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

carelle wrote:I'm having the same problem. I didn't see anything that explained that I was to wait for an email to upload my book. I hit submit, paid the fee and got a payment confirmation. I have not gotten any email directing me to upload my book. How long should this take and how long does it take to have one's book read and reviewed?

Thanks,
RM
Yes, you should have both gotten an email and PayPal should have redirected you back to the page you need anyway. Please check your spam/junk folder.

carelle

Post by carelle »

I checked my span four times. Thank you for the lazy indifferent reply. No email was received, spam or otherwise. Did you think I couldn't read your other minimal attempts to help others by telling them to check their spam folders? Apparently you can send a link directing authors to upload, but for some reason, you chose not to offer that to me. I'm petitioning to Paypal to arrange a refund. I will find a better place to spend $100. The one thing that should be easy to do on such a site is to upload one's book. That seems like it might be fairly important. I know, you don't need my business. I'm sure you have so many authors that one won't be missed.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

carelle wrote:I checked my span four times. Thank you for the lazy indifferent reply. No email was received, spam or otherwise. Did you think I couldn't read your other minimal attempts to help others by telling them to check their spam folders? Apparently you can send a link directing authors to upload, but for some reason, you chose not to offer that to me. I'm petitioning to Paypal to arrange a refund. I will find a better place to spend $100. The one thing that should be easy to do on such a site is to upload one's book. That seems like it might be fairly important. I know, you don't need my business. I'm sure you have so many authors that one won't be missed.
I am sorry you seem so upset. I do not have the wherewithal to try to manually send each author/publisher their private link and I don't think it would be much more successful than the automated script I wrote that accesses the same database I would use to send that information (i.e. looking up the email address as entered on the original submission form and sending an email to that address with a link containing any needed codes in the database).

My goal in asking you and others to check your spam folders and such is not to brush anyone off but to find the cause of the problem. I have no idea why a few people do not get any of these emails with the links in them while everyone else does. If there is some sort of software glitch on my end, it will help many people if I can track it down and correct it. My approach to technical support is to start with an investigatory process to find the root cause of a problem. I also find this is a much more efficient use of the time and effort I put into technical support so I can provide you and everyone else an even better overall product/experience.

In addition to a spam folder, it is possible the email address originally entered was incorrect, for instance it may have had a typo. If the email address originally entered was incorrect, it will do no good to email the link again and again to that email address, even if a workaround is given now the same type of problem will arise as more and more confidential emails are sent into the abyss.

If neither the spam folder or incorrect email address is the culprit, I really do not know what the issue is which is greatly concerning. I would like to figure it out as it will continue to create problems for you and presumably many other users.

ROloris

Post by ROloris »

I am having this issue as well. I checked spam, I clicked resend, and I verified that the email address is correct. I even tried waiting a few days to see if the message wandered off.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

ROloris wrote:I am having this issue as well. I checked spam, I clicked resend, and I verified that the email address is correct. I even tried waiting a few days to see if the message wandered off.
I will send you an email about this and see if that goes through.

Also, for issues with the review team, here is instructions for the fastest way to get support:

http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewto ... =3&t=21694

ThomasSmyth

Post by ThomasSmyth »

Hello,

I'm trying to get your auto-email after I fill out a review request; the one that directs me to the url to upload the book. Unfortunately I'm not getting any emails from onlinebookclub or similar. I've even tried requesting the resending of such email several times and still nothing in my inbox. I use no filters and don't have a junk folder. All the other book sites I visit send me email just fine.

Is there any way to manually give me the security numbers to fill in the box to get to the upload url?

Thanks

Thomas Smyth
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

ThomasSmyth wrote:Hello,

I'm trying to get your auto-email after I fill out a review request; the one that directs me to the url to upload the book. Unfortunately I'm not getting any emails from onlinebookclub or similar. I've even tried requesting the resending of such email several times and still nothing in my inbox. I use no filters and don't have a junk folder. All the other book sites I visit send me email just fine.

Is there any way to manually give me the security numbers to fill in the box to get to the upload url?

Thanks

Thomas Smyth
From what you describe, it sounds like your 'junk' folder is inaccessible to you. The emails are likely still being marked as 'junk' by your server, but you never see them. If you didn't have junk processing at all, your email box would likely be unusable from being filled with junk on a daily basis. I have sent you an email from my home computer. Let's see if that goes through.

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Could people not be getting emails because they're board preferences are set not to allow it?
Just a thought :confusion-shrug:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Graverobber wrote:Could people not be getting emails because they're board preferences are set not to allow it?
Just a thought :confusion-shrug:
The verify email for authors is sent without checking the preferences. So thanks for the idea but that's not it. :)

My best guess is it is due to the settings on small independent mail servers which block email determined to be junk. Bigger mail servers like gmail or most ISPs have much more sophisticated mail servers that trigger less false positives in blocking but then pass on what it sees as 'probable spam' into a junk folder which the end user can then check. Smaller personal mail servers have to just block what it detects as 'probable spam' (i.e. what would typically be placed into a junk folder). Automated emails such as those with activation links, while very common, are often picked up as 'probable spam'. The automated spam detector simply detects a website that sends a lot of emails sending an automated email with a link in it to someone who the receiver has never emailed; it really should go in the junk folder as the server has no way of knowing the user wanted the email. A spamming mail server can send out millions of emails a day. It can even just invent email addresses to test if they work, which could overload a small custom mail server without overly strict policies.

On the other hand, with these small mail servers it is probably not the smallness of them but the cheapness. They are probably being used in a shared hosting plan which as an industry standard are sold until being overloaded. They simply cannot afford to offer sophisticated mail servers with user-friendly junk processing. There are too many users on the computer and if overly strict mail server policies didn't stop junk emails from getting through then the overloaded server would crash from getting too many emails.

There is really no reason for me to offer that explanation. I just had too much coffee and forgot to hide my nerdiness for a bit. :techie-hiding:

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”