Strict Anti-Spam Rules (for authors and publishers)

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Strict Anti-Spam Rules: Important for authors and publis

Post by gali »

DJK Media wrote:How does one PM Scott? What does PM mean? People who are new here don't necessarily understand these terms. There should be a Contact point so communication can go direct to administration rather than to forums.
PM means sending Scott a private message. To send a private message, you need to go to the profile of Scott (by pressing down on his name) and once there, press on the "Send private message" tab.

There is a contact point:

Contact
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

DJK Media wrote:How does one PM Scott? What does PM mean? People who are new here don't necessarily understand these terms. There should be a Contact point so communication can go direct to administration rather than to forums.
Scott is the administrator & owner of the site - as it says at the bottom of the screen.
PM = Private Message (widespread acronym used throughout the internet, any of these acronyms you don't understand just stick it in Google & you'll have the definition is seconds.)
Click on PM on the banner at the top of the Home Page, then click on the button "new PM" & I'm sure you will be able to take it from there.

Not getting at you DJK Media but I do not understand why new members don't give a few minutes to familiarise themselves with the site before starting to post complaints. IMO it's a userfriendly, straight forward site & not dissimilar to any other www site - it only takes a few minutes to get to grips with it.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
DJK Media
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DJK Media »

Thanks gali and Fran for explaining things to me and apologies for not figuring this out for myself. It was one of those days when I had too much to do and not enough time to do it all in. I think I've now figured out how the site works. Also, apologies for the delay in replying...I look forward to interacting with you and other members when things calm down a bit.
wild dreamer

Post by wild dreamer »

It is good to save us from spammers.good job scott
sandip

Post by sandip »

Hi, I am new to this online forum and want to know if we are allowed to thank someone for a compliment to our book? I don't want to be rude and not acknowledge someone who says they want to recommend the book to others...so what would be the protocol?
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

sandip wrote:Hi, I am new to this online forum and want to know if we are allowed to thank someone for a compliment to our book? I don't want to be rude and not acknowledge someone who says they want to recommend the book to others...so what would be the protocol?
Sure you can - what you can't do is use the site for self promotion.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Nora Lynn

Post by Nora Lynn »

It is good protection for the users of this site to have these strict anti-spam rules. Thank you for making it clear and concise for us. I am a new member today, but I look forward to reading more and learning how to become a reviewer.
Ladina5

Post by Ladina5 »

Thank you for your breakdown of the site and explaining the rules.
arlina
Currently Reading: Menuhin
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arlina.html

Post by arlina »

I appreciate a forum with rules to follow. It creates a community feeling :)
Derar01

Post by Derar01 »

All the respect for this policy that filters the spam out. Keep it that way, but why don't you put your own rules for proper and legal advertising?
Thank you and keep on the good work!
lace_paul
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by lace_paul »

I deeply appreciated your rules. These certainly enlightened me as a neophyte in the field of writing.
Margjohns51
Favorite Author: Lewis Carroll
Favorite Book: Through the Looking Glass
Currently Reading: Genius by James Gleick
Bookshelf Size: 27
fav_author_id: 3309

Post by Margjohns51 »

Okay... I have posted in response to book reviews (not about my book, at all) and got a "Quick Reply" that I should read the guidelines. Am I not supposed to respond to book reviews at all? Even those that have nothing to do with my book? I am a little confused... I don't want to get myself kicked out, but I love to read book reviews to see what else is out there. Is this not allowed?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Margjohns51 wrote:Okay... I have posted in response to book reviews (not about my book, at all) and got a "Quick Reply" that I should read the guidelines. Am I not supposed to respond to book reviews at all? Even those that have nothing to do with my book? I am a little confused... I don't want to get myself kicked out, but I love to read book reviews to see what else is out there. Is this not allowed?
Of course you can respond to book reviews. Self promoting is against the rules, but responding to reviews is allowed and welcomed. :wink:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
OneFourthCheesecake
Favorite Author: Heather Brewer
Favorite Book: The Chronicles of Vladmir Tod
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onefourthcheesecake.html
fav_author_id: 17043

Post by OneFourthCheesecake »

I am a new member, around 10 minutes in I believe, and this list has given me all the information that I needed on the subject. Thank you for writing it.
bookscorp_mumbai

Post by bookscorp_mumbai »

As is the case with most sites, I was filling the form of new member. However, I read this post and realized that I am not allowed to edit my profile before 25 posts or 3 sdays. I hope you will see the ignoirance and forgive me if I broke a rule (without knowing it). I am an unpublished autor. Can I still get my book (manuscript) reviewed?
Thanks

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”