Kindle books are now available at some libraries!

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Meka
Bookshelf Size: 0

Kindle books are now available at some libraries!

Post by Meka »

Yay! Amazon has finally made it possible to borrow Kindle books from the public library. I was so excited when I found this out I went and got a library card, I hadn't had one in years...lol
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Sounds brilliant ... how does it work exactly?
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Meka

Post by Meka »

@Fran, I go to my library website and select the option for ebooks, it then takes me to the overdrive page where I can search for ebooks. This is as far as I have gotten because the book I wanted was already checked out so I was placed on the wait list, but from my understanding if the book is available it will then transfer you to the Amazon site so it can be loaded to your Kindle. Hope this helps :)
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

In Australia, our libraries have non-commercial reciprocal arrangements with other libraries with regard to eBooks.
It's an enormous pool to fish from! You download them direct and you can nominate how you wish to read them, on computer, eReader, some have PDF print facilities, audio, etc, all free. It's a painless operation - the only catch is that most are on loan for 7 days. Then they magically disappear!
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Fran

Post by Fran »

@Meka
That sounds brilliant ... hope our libraries get around to it soon.
It could be a new lease of life for libraries & certainly here they are quite good at taking on innovative ideas.
- My Home by Clive James
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Ahhhhhhrrrrr down with all kindles. Burn them in the streets. Get rid of them people you will feel much better once they are gone. ( :) Only gagging. :) )

I am actually thinking of getting one so that I can keep up with all of Maud and Fran's recommendations. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Gannon wrote:Ahhhhhhrrrrr down with all kindles. Burn them in the streets. Get rid of them people you will feel much better once they are gone. ( :) Only gagging. :) )

I am actually thinking of getting one so that I can keep up with all of Maud and Fran's recommendations. :)
I was planning to get one for Christmas just to see what the fuss is about but i havent been reading a lot lately so i will have to see come Christmas is the spark still there to justify the expense of buying one :lol:
You only live once.....so live!
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

StephenKingman wrote:
Gannon wrote:Ahhhhhhrrrrr down with all kindles. Burn them in the streets. Get rid of them people you will feel much better once they are gone. ( :) Only gagging. :) )

I was planning to get one for Christmas just to see what the fuss is about but i havent been reading a lot lately so i will have to see come Christmas is the spark still there to justify the expense of buying one :lol:
Hey there SKM. I am pretty much in the same boat. The main reason I would consider getting one is to check out recommendations. If something sounds really good instead of ordering it and waiting I could just download it and check it out straight away. However I still think they are evil and lead to the dark side( :) only gagging :) ).
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Fran

Post by Fran »

@SKM & Gannon
You will both have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the bright new world of Kindle ... go on boys make the move, we are waiting for you her on the Dark Side! :wink:
- My Home by Clive James
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

@Fran
I have a birthday coming up soon, I may just start dropping some hints. :)
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Why do people insist on using the word Kindle?????
They are called eReaders and there are many other brands on the market!!!!!
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Fran

Post by Fran »

Maud Fitch wrote:Why do people insist on using the word Kindle?????
Of course there are many differnet models but I use the word Kindle because this is the model I happen to own. But Maud, I see your point we do risk going down the Hoover road right enough. Suitably reprimanded I shall be more circumspect in future :oops:
- My Home by Clive James
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Maud Fitch wrote:Why do people insist on using the word Kindle?????
Maud, Maud, Maud, you should have posted this post in the RANT thread jeezz. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Meka

Post by Meka »

@Maud, I am aware that the Kindle is an e-reader and that there are many other brands, however I said Kindle because this post is specifically related to the Kindle brand. Borrowing e-books from the public library is a new feature for the Kindle it originally did not have the ability to borrow e-books from the library as the other e-reader's did. I hope this clarifies why the subject of my post is "Kindle books are now available at some libraries". :)
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Sorry, I am suitably contrite for my unseemly behaviour. I didn't realise that Kindle was so unique. Please accept my apologies and I hope you enjoy many years of happy e-reading.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”