OMG Mike they got you at last .... Gannon will be so cross ... another one gone over to the dark side as he says!
Now I'm no nerd so my answers are that of an ordinary Josephine Soap
1. You buy the book on the Amazon site (select the Kindle Shop from the drop down menu) & from there it's almost exactly as you buy a regular book on the site. It downloads 'magically' to your Kindle immediately if your Kindle is on & is picking up a WIFI connection (this could be your own Broadband wifi at home or if you have wifi at work or on a free wifi site in a hotel or coffee shop or wherever. If your Kindle is turned off or is not picking up a wifi connection then the next time you turn it on or it picks up the wifi it will download ... zooomm just like that. You can access the site from the Kindle unit or your laptop/PC. Personally I usually use the laptop & I have found that if the Kindle is at the other end of the coffee table bu the time I reach across for it my book is there waiting for me.
As I say absolute magic ... wonder how they do it?
2. That's the sore bit ... you have your account set up with Amazon as for regular book purchases and zoooooom the charge goes to your Visa or whatever every bit as quickly as the book downloads. You get the e-mail confirmation same as with a regular purchase. And when you get the visa bill there it is with the currency conversion of course!
3. It's not touch screen so a button on either side panel changes the pages forward or backward and you can use left or right hand or both if you're ambidextrous! And you can do it onehanded ... I mean hold the Kindle in one hand & move the pages with the same hand (would have been useful for Admiral Nelson!)
4. It comes with a USB lead for charging from the laptop or PC. Personally I think its mean not to provide a mains charger as standard but I gather you can buy one fairly cheaply on ebay. The battery time is really good I've only charged mine about 3 times since Xmas but obviously it would depend on the use it's getting ... and I'm still not weaned off the regular book!
5. Books seem to be available every bit as fast as the regular publication.
And of course there are loads of the Classics free.
6. I definitely recommend it ... and as you know I resisted manfully or womanfully! My negatives would be that they don't supply a mains charger as standard & the carry case is extra.
All in all it's the most 'idiot proof' (as the nerds say) piece of technology I've come across!