Does anyone have a kindle?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
tinegunner
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Favorite Book: The English Patient
Currently Reading: The Girl who Played with Fire
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinegunner.html
fav_author_id: 2566

Re: Does anyone have a kindle?

Post by tinegunner »

I have a Kindle that I got as a gift. I was against them at first. But now I love it. I read a lot more because it is light and I can take it anywhere. And obviously I can get most books immediately and pretty cheaply. I still obsessively visit bookstores and still buy real books sometimes. I do not plan on getting rid of my real books. I still like to look at them all the time. :)
Also I love that it hooks into Goodreads. I have the paperwhite.
womanofendurance1998

Post by womanofendurance1998 »

I purchased my kindle January of this year (2014). I was very apprehensive due to reasons that everyone has already mentioned. I love the smell, physically turning pages, looking at my library (collection) grow with each new book purchase, and just did not want to convert to E - reading. But now that I have done it, I am hooked. One draw back for me on paper books was I always crease the pages. This made me very self conscious when I borrowed books from other people. Also, I read in the shower so it was always difficult not getting the pages wet. LOL. Those are the only draw backs I had for paper books. My kindle fire HDX does everything I need. I read EVERYWHERE. In the shower, in the grocery store line, in bed when my hubby is asleep, on breaks at work, etc, basically any spare moment I have. I can take my kindle anywhere and it is multi - functional in the event I need to check my email or play a game. I can shop or look up things via internet if I need to. My winning points for converting to Ereader were. 1) I do not have to wait for the next book to come in the mail or go to pick it up from the book store. One click with amazon and the next book is immediately in my library. 2) I always have my entire library with me. 3) I can use a dimmer when the hubby goes to sleep 4) I can use a waterproof sleeve when I go to the pool or use in the shower 4) If i need to know the definition of a word I just touch and hold the word and the definition automatically appears. The one thing I have not gotten fond of yet is the audio books. Maybe they will grow on me later. I have tried three and could not get past the first couple of chapters. There is more that I like but I will leave it at this.
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

I was given my kindle as a gift from my boyfriend's grandfather. He no longer used it because he just read on his phone. I LOVE my kindle so much. I use it everywhere. I love actual printed books, and they will always be my favorite over any other way of reading, but having a kindle is just so convenient because I can carry around as many books as I want without having to deal with how much room they would take up or how heavy they would be. I also really like how I don't just have to use the actual charger that can with it, I can use one of my dad's old phone chargers as well. I have a nice case for it as well. Its a soft brown/tan leather with a grey suede interior with pockets in the front and back that always have little flashcards for me with new books that I want to read and authors I want to check out.
craftshley
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craftshley.html
Latest Review: "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" by Chris Johnston

Post by craftshley »

I love my Kindle! I dread the day when it will die. I had a second generation Kindle with the nice QWERTY keyboard and it's screen screwed up so I couldn't use it anymore. Eventually, it just died. I upgraded to a Kindle touch, the last of the Kindles to have a text to speech feature, the thing I do the most with my Kindle. I love my Kindle so much for this feature and hope that I'll be able to find another Kindle touch or 2nd gen Kindle to replace my current one when it does eventually die.
Latest Review: "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" by Chris Johnston
sabakazi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabakazi.html

Post by sabakazi »

Yes I have a kindle. It is more convenient and easier as compared to actual books. Even though kindle does not give the pleasure of holding the actual book and smelling it:)
Sweet_Lullaby
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-lullaby.html
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy

Post by Sweet_Lullaby »

For now im just using the kindle app on my ipod, and it suits me just fine :)
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

I am an American who lives in Mexico. I am a compulsive reader and prefer reading in English. For 14 years I read what I could find and sometimes it was pretty grim. Then I got a Kindle and could read what I wanted. For me, it's fantastic.
MMlong25
Currently Reading:

Post by MMlong25 »

I love my kindle but I must confess that I love a good book that I can turn the pages to. A kindle is a way to take multiple books along, take some getting use to but is so nice to have. :lol:
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I don't have a Kindle, but I have Kindle access on my computer. For the few books I buy that way, I just load them on my computer app and that way I needn't own a device. I'm a book lover, and I love my paperback collection!!
erindcargill
Favorite Author: Jessica Sorensen
Favorite Book: I have tons of favorite books
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erindcargill.html
fav_author_id: 2651

Post by erindcargill »

I've had a Kindle for about 3 years now, and i love it! but sometime i miss the smell and feel of a real book.
AKTuminello
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aktuminello.html

Post by AKTuminello »

I don't own a Kindle. I own TWO. My 86 year old grandmother is on her third one...and it has saved all of our sanity. All she can enjoy anymore is reading. So what if the font is so large there are only three words to a page and her little arthritic fingers are moving so fast it seems like there's a ceiling fan in her lap? She loves it. I love it. If my house were to burn down right now, I'd lose about 1000 analog books. So long as I grabbed a Kindle on the way out, I'd still have access to thousands more without spending a dime.
paleontologist1955

Post by paleontologist1955 »

I just received my Kindle and enjoy it very much. I read a book every two days and it has saved me driving to and from the library. Our local library has online books which also saves me money.
Chris Dutton
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-dutton.html
Latest Review: "NovoPulp 2013-2014 Anthology" by Niamh Brown, Ted Ewen, H. David Blalock, Lacerant Plainer, Micha Fire, Michael David Matula, Rich La

Post by Chris Dutton »

Had mine for about 3 years now - the keyboard version. It gets used virtually everyday and hasn't let me down yet.

What I do like to do, is where I am impressed with a passage, I'll highlight it and tweet it to myself - it's all I use Twitter for - and then download via Amazon.
Latest Review: "NovoPulp 2013-2014 Anthology" by Niamh Brown, Ted Ewen, H. David Blalock, Lacerant Plainer, Micha Fire, Michael David Matula, Rich La
Magaleto
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Magaleto »

I was completely against any eReader when they had first come out. I couldn't understand why someone wouldn't want to hold a book- and something about the smell of books... I vowed never to get one. Visiting my parents one year, I was stuck and my mother lent me hers. I was hooked. I'm on my second- the Kindle PaperWhite. I absolutely love it. It goes wherever I go- so much more simple than toting along multiple books. With Amazon Prime- I can download many books for "free" (Prime subscription required) and Amazon Unlimited is $9.99 a month. LOVE my kindle!
michelewhite0068
Favorite Author: Robert McCammon
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 88">Doctor Sleep</a>
Currently Reading: 11.22.63
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelewhite0068.html
fav_author_id: 2690

Post by michelewhite0068 »

I have a kindle fire and a color nook. I still love paperbacks, but my shelves are loaded with my favorites. What in like best is that both of them have a setting that mimics turning the page like a physical book. I also love kindle unlimited which allows you to read up to ten books at a time through a lending program and it costs $10.00 a month. What I miss about traditional books is the touch of the paper and the associated smell.

I would highly recommend either e-reader both kinds are a great addition to one's library.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”