Does anyone have a kindle?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Kowalskil
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re:

Post by Kowalskil »

Aguswgs wrote:I'm very eager to get a Kindle, but I'm struggling with guilt because I've always been a book purist. I love the feel of a new trade paperback, and I love my shelves and shelves of books. I feel a little like I'm cheating on them!

SO, for everyone who has a Kindle (or other e-reader) already, what do you like most about your Kindle? What do you like least about it?

Thanks!
I also prefer printed books.

Ludwik
Brieviews

Post by Brieviews »

I have a kindle, but greatly prefer printed books. I've only used my kindle a few times.
me_ghost
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-me-ghost.html

Post by me_ghost »

I have a Kindle. I bought it while I was travelling, which is the best use for it in my opinion. I love that I can instantly purchase and download books from Amazon and start reading it right away. I can even download a sample (first chapter or so) to see if I wish to purchase and download the rest of it. If you're clever, you can even purchase, download, click "bought this by mistake" then turn the Kindle offline before they can remove the book that just downloaded. It's more like borrowing then, lol, since as soon as it goes online the book will disappear, but you have until then to read it!

Now, I ultimately regret all the purchased books that are only on my Kindle. I wish that I had a shelf displaying those beautiful covers. I can't even see beautiful covers on my Kindle. Just titles. Uninspiring, drab plain text titles. It's handy, but I can't get over old fashioned books so easily, I'm afraid.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

me_ghost wrote:I have a Kindle. I bought it while I was travelling, which is the best use for it in my opinion. I love that I can instantly purchase and download books from Amazon and start reading it right away. I can even download a sample (first chapter or so) to see if I wish to purchase and download the rest of it. If you're clever, you can even purchase, download, click "bought this by mistake" then turn the Kindle offline before they can remove the book that just downloaded. It's more like borrowing then, lol, since as soon as it goes online the book will disappear, but you have until then to read it!

Now, I ultimately regret all the purchased books that are only on my Kindle. I wish that I had a shelf displaying those beautiful covers. I can't even see beautiful covers on my Kindle. Just titles. Uninspiring, drab plain text titles. It's handy, but I can't get over old fashioned books so easily, I'm afraid.
Oh how sneaky: you probably shouldn't have posted it here though - there's probably someone in Amazon working on a fix for that already.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Jon-Ross
Currently Reading: The Lord of the Rings and World War Z
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jon-ross.html

Post by Jon-Ross »

I don't have a Kindle. They are not in my budget at the moment. But I prefer paperbacks, so I might not get one.
kthlri30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kthlri30.html

Post by kthlri30 »

I have recently gotten my kindle fire, although I absolutely love the feel and smell of books themselves, have to say I have fallen in love with the kindle. I still Will purchase books as I'll never get over my love for the actual hard copies but having the kindle has opened so many opportunities for further reading options. I also felt like I'd be cheating on my hard copy books but with the kindle they give you so many options to browse and sample books that it's hard not to enjoy it. They also usually let you have the first book in a series for free but than will charge you for the following books,kinda a brilliant way to get you hooked. I enjoy being able to just look thru the thousands of book options,that alone makes it worthy of owning. Best of luck. Happy Reading!
Jezebelle

Post by Jezebelle »

I got my Kindle for Christmas last year and have now had almost a year to decide how I feel about it. I love it! It won't take the place of "real" books, but it definitely has a place in my life! I live in a small town with no bookstore for miles. I like the convenience of having a new book immediately. It's great too when at the dentist office with the kids; I have a variety of things to read while waiting. The convenience can't be beat, but nothing will replace the feel of a book, or being able to flip through pages to the page I want. If you're thinking about getting one, they're great in my opinion.
jsinard42
Favorite Author: Joseph delaney
Favorite Book: The Host
Currently Reading: Revenge of the Witch
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsinard42.html
fav_author_id: 6470

Post by jsinard42 »

I bought my lover one for Christmas last year and she loves. I prefer to store books on my laptop simply because it has more room for storage and I can put them into categories faster. The programs on my computer just seem more user friendly.
RainbowSix

Post by RainbowSix »

I purchased the Kindle Fire specifically for travel. It was that or pay for the extra twenty or so pounds of reading material. Of course at home I prefer my "real" books.
justaddcoffee

Post by justaddcoffee »

I love my kindle. I was reluctant at first because I adore the feel of paper in my hands. I'm a book junkie and I abuse them with love and dog ears and swimming pool or bath tub soaked finger marks on the pages. But I can read my kindle at night without disturbing my husband with a book light.
1lazycrank

Post by 1lazycrank »

I love my kindle it goes where I go anytime I have a free minute my nose is in it there are so many free books to read authors you never would hear about at your local library but are well worth the read
justducky13

Post by justducky13 »

I bought a Kindle for my son several years ago. He never used it because he said he liked turning the pages of a "real" book.

I "borrowed" his Kindle while I was on summer break and fell in love! I took it everywhere. Sit outside, pages don't blow in the wind. Forgot your reading glasses, make the text larger. The only drawback is that it is so easy to download books, if you are an avid reader, you might go broke ! :D

I would highly suggest a Kindle to anyone, regardless of your tech abilities.
Sandyfeet12

Post by Sandyfeet12 »

Hey,
I do have a kindle, it took me a little while but I do enjoy it. I still buy books too, but I live in a country with extreme censorship so even something like cosmo is either covered in pen or reprinted suitable to the culture. The kindle is a great way to get round this, I'm not saying I'm reading anything too extreme or maybe I am :lol: But stuff like womens health wouldn't be on the shelves here I just download in seconds its fabulous!
booksprite+
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksprite.html

Post by booksprite+ »

I have the Kindle Fire and love it. My only complaint is the battery not making it til the end of my daily useage.
Summertime88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summertime88.html

Post by Summertime88 »

I have a kindle touch and I love it. The battery lasts for days

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”