Does anyone have a kindle?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Cbrunyate
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander
Currently Reading: Swamplandia
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbrunyate.html
fav_author_id: 2373

Re:

Post by Cbrunyate »

Aguswgs wrote:I'm very eager to get a Kindle, but I'm struggling with guilt because I've always been a book purist. I love the feel of a new trade paperback, and I love my shelves and shelves of books. I feel a little like I'm cheating on them!

SO, for everyone who has a Kindle (or other e-reader) already, what do you like most about your Kindle? What do you like least about it?

Thanks!

I've had a Kindle for years now, but the guilt was something that really got to me at first. I love everything about tradition book, the smell, the feel, the look of rows and rows of books on your bookshelves. But, the times are changing sadly and with that comes the almost necessity to use an e-reader. When I first made the switch I even went so far as to buy both the paperback books and the kindle edition of some books for awhile. Obviously, this wasn't very economically practical and didn't last long and I eventually forgave myself for turning into a Kindle "purist" as you so accurately described it. I still buy the book/series that I really love in paperback, but the vast majority of my collection is on my Kindle. I think it's just something that you have to get used to, eventually the practicality of the kindle won me over. I love being able to travel with an entire collection of books in my hand. I also love being able to finish a book in a series and being able to download the next book right away, whether I be on a bus, plane, train, whatever! No more rushing to the bookstore like a crazy person, hoping that they have the book you want in stock. In short, get a kindle, eventually you'll grow to love it. I now have the Kindle paper white and am reading more now that I ever did with traditional books
CoffeyAndBooks
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-coffeyandbooks.html

Post by CoffeyAndBooks »

I have a Kindle and I love it! It's a great way to read while camping, which I do often, and I am do it anytime of the day. Having the light adjusted screen trumps a book light anyday!
cburnett-1224

Post by cburnett-1224 »

I love my kindle fire!
Ejgard91
Currently Reading: The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejgard91.html
Latest Review: "Secrets of the Throne" by CC Rogers

Post by Ejgard91 »

I have a kindle and I absolutely love it! Don't get me wrong, I still love the feel of an actual book, but the kindle has made my excessive reading habits a little more manageable. It isn't always convenient to go to the library every week or to carry around a giant book or two in my purse. The kindle just provides a little more mobility for me which wasn't happening with the types of books I like to read.

However, I don't like using my kindle for a book where I need to learn something or remember something. It is strictly for my fun reading books. I find that I don't retain information as well from reading on the kindle. So if there is any studying or serious reading I need to do, I won't do it on my kindle.
Latest Review: "Secrets of the Throne" by CC Rogers
Judyintex

Post by Judyintex »

I held off getting a Kindle for several years because I love my books! Well, I have to say, I only read paper when I can't find it for my Kindle. I love everything about it. I use the Library to check out Ebooks more than I ever did paper books. I think the only down side is you can't always tell when a book ends like you can with a book.
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

The things I love most about my Kindle,are....I have 100's of books stored on it,and most were freebies,so I can carry an entire library with me,plus all those books are not a fire-hazard in my home.
I can comfortably hold it in one hand while reading and it doesn't close on my thumb like a book often does! :x
The e-Ink is so soothing to read/easy on the eyes. :D
The only thing that I do not like, is I must keep an eye on the battery level,and plug it in to charge when it gets low.
Rogue135
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rogue135.html

Post by Rogue135 »

I love my kindle. Don't get me wrong, I love having that paper form of book too, but it is nice to be able to read it at my desk. People think I'm working, but I'm actually reading. lol
sound_readerrev
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Currently Reading: Cause of Death
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sound-readerrev.html
Latest Review: "Smog City" by Rebecca McNutt
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by sound_readerrev »

I was first reluctant to ever get a kindle, but I did anyway when needing to move around and have the downloaded book with me (since my phone screen is tiny and I can't lug my laptop around). I like it, but since I have the first generation kindle fire, reading is about all that I can do on it. Yet, that too is good; I have less chance of becoming distracted by social media apps like the way I can on my phone.

Even with easy carry-it-with-me option, I still wouldn't switch to e-book reading permanently. I like the actual book: the feel of the pages, the smell, etc.

What I like most about the Kindle is the fact that I don't need a flashlight, so late-night reading is not a problem, and I don't disturb my room mates as much.
Latest Review: "Smog City" by Rebecca McNutt
Devonaira
Currently Reading: The Death of Danny Daggers
Bookshelf Size: 1255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devonaira.html
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Devonaira »

I do own a kindle. I mainly use it for the newer, bigger books that I would cause myself pain to hold and read, or just books I can't get in local stores. I love it. I take it when I'm going out and that way I don't need to worry about my book getting bent or creased or anything on my bag. It's definitely handy, and it doesn't hurt as much as a book does when you fall asleep with it in your hands because you just can't stop reading and it lands on your face .
Mitchel_Walls
Currently Reading: Every Heart a Doorway
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mitchel-walls.html

Post by Mitchel_Walls »

I have a kindle and I love it, I also love having a book in my hands and being able to turn the page, I love the smell of books as well as seeing them on shelves. To be honest, I love it both but I make it work, I have the best of both worlds. When I am not in the mood to go out and get a book or I feel really earth friendly, I get it on the kindle, but if I want to read a physical book i'll read a book.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

I've opened my Kindle since joining this site. My usage has increased due to quick access. I still use the public library, but the holds / wait time has gotten ridiculous. Popular titles like Gone Girl have a massive wait list , but not if I use my Kindle. I use to be a die hard about physical books. Now, I just read because that's the bottom line anyway. Just Read!
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Justreadin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justreadin.html

Post by Justreadin »

I refused to get a Kindle for years and last Christmas my mom thought I needed one so she bought me one. It sat in the box for a few weeks, until my son showed me how to use it and how to get free books. I like getting free books on it. I use it as my back up. I begin to panic if I don't have something to read or I am finishing a book and can't get to the library or store. It helps to ease the nothing to read panic.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Although I do love the feeling of holding a normal book in my hand and turning each page, I do like my Kindle as well. It is much more convenient for this website and for travelling purposes. Plus I can get a lot of free books and the books from my Kindle Unlimited as well.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Apruitt
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apruitt.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Apruitt »

I absolutely love going to bookstores and the library. However, I started traveling for work and my Kindle has been a treasure. I read about a novel a night and carrying that many books when I travel became a hardship. So, my Kindle is always with me now. I really like the older models that are not backlit. It prevents eye strain.
MMT0294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmt0294.html

Post by MMT0294 »

I do and I love it...I've gone through 3 of them and would recommend them to everyone. :D

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”