Amazon Kindle 2

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.

Kindle, worth it?

Yes
50%
No
17%
Not for you
No votes
Maybe when the price comes down a little more
33%

Total votes: 6

kanageddaamen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Amazon Kindle 2

Post by kanageddaamen »

Amazon just dropped the price of their Kindle 2 ebook reader. After reading some reviews, people seem to really like it. I am debating whether I should pick one up. What do you guys think? Is it worth the $260 price tag?

Here is my situation:

Kindle Cons:

I have a bunch of books I wanted to read, but haven't gotten to yet, so I feel like i should read them first.
I could spend the money on other entertainment avenues, though I am already backlogged in those channels.
I don't really read THAT much, though I would like to

Kindle Pros:

It might motivate me to read more, as I would feel guilty about spending the money and not using it.
Cheap books/free books
Having a couple thousand books carried with me with just one device is pretty rad.
I am out and about quite a bit, and it would be nice to have the option to read whilst having lunch or whatnot
I have no interest in audiobooks

Thoughts? Any one out there with one who can give me a first hand account of Kindle ownership.
Bowlie

Post by Bowlie »

I don't own a Kindle, but I do have a Sony Reader. I have also looked at a friend of mine's Kindle. I think they are both great.

Here are the pros for me:
**Can read while I eat (I find it difficult to hold a book open and eat at the same time)
**Less bulky when I travel (many books on a small device rather than more than one bulky book taking up space in my carry-on)
**Can read while I dry my hair
**Less things I have to dust in my house, the better!

Cons:
**Can't read while a plane is taking off or landing
**On trips my husband loads books on that he wants to read too and tries to steal it from me when he can! :lol:

Overall, I would say that if you aren't a reader, I would maybe try to borrow someone's and read a book on it before you decide to buy. I would be mad at myself if I spent that kind of money on something and never used it. For the number of books I have read this year, about 1/5 of them have been on my reader (I still read a lot of paper books). I've also gotten plenty of free downloads that I will eventually get to. For me, the purchase was completely worth it. I don't think it's difficult to read on it--I'd compare it to the color of the paper that a newspaper is printed on. There is some glare when I use my Mighty Bright light at night, but I can usually shift it so that it isn't really noticeable.

I hope that helps you out. :)
Vault Dweller

Post by Vault Dweller »

I don't own a Kindle, and I never will as long as there is onerous DRM on the books. I prefer owning the books I pay for rather than renting them.
kanageddaamen

Post by kanageddaamen »

DRM doesn't bother me at all. I am not going to Sync my books to any other device, and I would back up my library to my computer.

I also don't really care if I can't give the book to someone else when I am done either. From what I read, these are the only issues with the DRM for kindle.
Classical is Classy

Post by Classical is Classy »

The reason I'll never get a kindle (or kindle equivalent) is just because if I buy all my books electronically, what will I fill my bookshelf with! I like to have the physical book just so I can look at everything I've read and bask in the achievement; Something that having data files just can't provide the same emotional attachment.

The Kindle definitely would be more convenient though, emotional attachment aside. Especially if you're out and about like you say you are and don't want to carry bulkier books.

I say if you want it, and you're not bordering economic trouble. Go out and spend the money. If you end up not liking it, you can always just return it.
kaylahar6
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahar6.html
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan

Post by kaylahar6 »

I own a kindle and it is really worth getting it, in my opinion.
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have a kindle touch and I am very satisfied. I would buy a cheap Kindle if I was you.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”