Kindle Will Not Charge

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Mother
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 07">Goblin Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Passing Bells
Bookshelf Size: 5
fav_author_id: 2379

Kindle Will Not Charge

Post by Mother »

Sadly, my Kindle will no longer take a charge. It happened just yesterday. I went through all the proper reset techniques and usual tech troubleshooting, and then followed up through Amazon customer service. Their only recommendation is that I buy another Kindle, which I cannot do until at least tax return season, if not later. *sighs* The sadness.

Anyone else have this problem and somehow find a solution to it?

Thank goodness I have a stack of hand-me-down books from a family member. Not that they will last me 6 months+, but a girl can dream.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I am sorry to hear it and can relate. I had the same problem and had to buy a new one. Amazon offers some cheaper kindles and no less good.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

... and that, dear reader, is why the book will never be obsolete (or need recharging) :wink:

@Mother
Are you charging it via PC or mains?
I had a similar issue but it was the laptop USB port that was faulty. But I'm sure Kindle support suggested this already.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Amazon Kindle Support is fantastic. If you have already contacted them and the suggestions didn't work, contact them again. You might get a different person who is a better troubleshooter. Good luck!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Mother
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 07">Goblin Moon</a>

Post by Mother »

Fran wrote:... and that, dear reader, is why the book will never be obsolete (or need recharging) :wink:

@Mother
I had a similar issue but it was the laptop USB port that was faulty. But I'm sure Kindle support suggested this already.
I'm not sure what "mains" means, but I'm not very techy (I don't even own a cell phone, because I can't see a reason for one). I plugged it into my PC for charging the entire 2 years I've had it, and I was a very hard sell on it in the first place because, well, books. ;)

My husband may dig around inside it himself, since it's out of warranty. However, they've designed the clips to break if the back cover is removed. So that means purchasing replacement clips. *sigh*

Sadly, all customer support told me was to buy a new one. When there's some financial leeway, I will. My poor books, languishing in a cloud... Thank goodness I didn't have a heck of a lot - only about a dozen or so.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Mother wrote:
Fran wrote:... and that, dear reader, is why the book will never be obsolete (or need recharging) :wink:

@Mother
I'm not sure what "mains" means, but I'm not very techy (I don't even own a cell phone, because I can't see a reason for one). I plugged it into my PC for charging the entire 2 years I've had it, and I was a very hard sell on it in the first place because, well, books. ;)

My husband may dig around inside it himself, since it's out of warranty. However, they've designed the clips to break if the back cover is removed. So that means purchasing replacement clips. *sigh*

Sadly, all customer support told me was to buy a new one. When there's some financial leeway, I will. My poor books, languishing in a cloud... Thank goodness I didn't have a heck of a lot - only about a dozen or so.
@Mother
Sorry, I meant charging it by using an adaptor to plug it into a regular electrical socket.
As you use the PC port it might be worth making sure that port is not faulty before spending $ on a new unit - do you charge anything else using this port or is there another USB port on the PC you could try? (if it's a reasonably modern PC it likely has more than one USB port).
I presume you do know you can read your Kindle books on the PC if you download the Kindle App from the Amazon site.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I love my Kindle Paperwhite but have had all sorts of trouble with the Fire. We had the same issue with it not charging and it took me a good almost two hours talking with several different people to get them to agree to sending me a new one. It was under warranty. I usually love Amazon but that customer service experience was terrible.
Mother

Post by Mother »

Ah, gotcha, Fran. We already tried various different cords, all 6 different USB ports, different computers, and different USB ports on those computers, in various combinations. Our USB cords and computers have no problem with any other device in our home. Alas, le Kindle est mort.

I would use the desktop application, however I read books to get away from my computer and just cannot really enjoy them whilst sitting at my desk. If this was still under warranty, I might be able to finagle a new one.

However, a friend just purchased herself a new tablet and is offering to sell me her old tablet at quite a reasonable price (even less than a refurbished Kindle). So I might go that route and starting learning this whole tablet thing, since I can download the Kindle application to that. She just offered it to me today. Fortuitous timing! :)
www.inwhichmother.com ~ the many misadventures of one working mom

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”