Problem: Kindle App won't open .mobi file (Solved)

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Re: Problem: Kindle App won't open .mobi file (Solved)

Post by Scott »

@DaisyI Please answer the 5 numbered questions in the first post in this topic so that I can provide faster support to you. Thank you :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Kel808
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kel808.html

Post by Kel808 »

Hello,
I have tried all the solutions above. I have never opened a .mobi file at all, on any device. I tried on my computer, on my Samsung galaxy (both having the kindle app) and it doesn't open. It doesn't have an error message, all it does when I "open" it is re-download it into a secondary file. It does it every time. I can't even open the file to see what its contents are. Not sure what to do next.
MagicToDo930
Currently Reading: The Witchfinder's Sister
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magictodo930.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MagicToDo930 »

Did you try the solution above? Yes
Do you get some kind of specific error message? What does it say exactly? Device cannot open file.
What device are you using? Chrome book and then iPhone kindle app
Have you ever been able to open a mobi file in the Kindle App on that device? Yes
Any other details are helpful. :)last time I had mobi format I had no trouble opening on iPhone.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Kel808 wrote:Hello,
I have tried all the solutions above. I have never opened a .mobi file at all, on any device. I tried on my computer, on my Samsung galaxy (both having the kindle app) and it doesn't open. It doesn't have an error message, all it does when I "open" it is re-download it into a secondary file. It does it every time. I can't even open the file to see what its contents are. Not sure what to do next.
How are you trying to open it? From what you describe, it sounds like you are clicking the re-download link on the website or visiting the download page on the website over-and-over again.

First you download the file, then you open the file. Opening a mobi file should not cause your computer to download anything. It's possible you saved the download page as a shortcut/bookmark on your computer and keep clicking that. However, that would be a bookmark/shortcut file not a mobi file. Can you confirm the file is mobi? In other words, can you confirm the extension of the file is as follows in bold: .mobi

If so, will you be able to forward the .mobi file to me if I give you an email address?

---

MagicToDo930 wrote:Did you try the solution above? Yes
Do you get some kind of specific error message? What does it say exactly? Device cannot open file.
What device are you using? Chrome book and then iPhone kindle app
Have you ever been able to open a mobi file in the Kindle App on that device? Yes
Any other details are helpful. :)last time I had mobi format I had no trouble opening on iPhone.
@MagicToDo930 Hi, from what you describe, it sounds like the file itself is damaged, corrupted, or not a mobi file. However, it's my understanding this was for the Review Team, that you have already been given a different book, and thus that you are all set. Let me know if that is not the case. Sorry for the hassle.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

samebcay18
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samebcay18.html

Post by samebcay18 »

what will i do now ,i cant download a kindle app. in my android device ?Hoping for your uttermost consideration .
+++---
Currently Reading: Brown Scarf Blues
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer.php?reviewer=-
Reading Device: B00R590UNG

Post by +++--- »

Yes it is true, i also faced a lot of problems with kindle app .it proved just a Pandora 's box for me.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

It was a very long process to a very serious problem. I tried opening it normally, but a message stating "Can't open file" was displayed. Then I tried option 1, but it still didn't open. I tried option 2 using my USB cable, but my phone didn't get detected by the computer. Finally, I used my card reader and even then, it wasn't easy. After numerous attempts of trying and retrying, connecting and reconnecting, I could finally move the file.

Later, I refitted the memory card and opened the Kindle App. Finally, I reaped the fruits of my hard work. Thank you for all the help. I hope my explanation acts as suggestions to help others who are experiencing the same problem!
smammen
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smammen.html

Post by smammen »

Did you try the solution above? Which one(s)--Option 1, Option 2, or Option 3?
Do you get some kind of specific error message? What does it say exactly?
What device are you using?
Have you ever been able to open a mobi file in the Kindle App on that device?
Any other details are helpful. :)

I've tried all the options. When I attempt to open in Kindle app on iPhone it says "Incompatible Document Type. The document you tried to send is not of a compatible format." I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus. I have no file manager on the phone. I plugged into computer. I can't find any files or folders on the phone to find downloaded items. I downloaded to my computer and tried to move it into the books folder on the phone through iTunes and the error message is as follows: "Yesterday.mobi was not copied to the iPhone "Shannon's iPhone" because it cannot be played on this iPhone." I've never tried to open a mobi file on the Kindle app.

Any help will be appreciated.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

smammen:

I don't know how it works for iphones, but did you try using your ibooks or istores app?

-- 15 Feb 2017, 00:42 --

+++---:

Did you try connecting your memory card to your computer/laptop and transferring the files (using a card reader)?
blacksun77

Post by blacksun77 »

Excellent job.
Thanks pro
smammen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smammen.html

Post by smammen »

The problem is that on the iPhone there's nothing to transfer the file to. Anyone have experience with this on iPhone?
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

Glad to find this topic. I recently sent a mobi file to my Kindle Fire, as well as the Kindle apps on my iPad and iPhone. I've been really frustrated - the iPad and iPhone recognized it right away. It won't show up in my Kindle Fire. I ended up downloading it, and it's opening as a doc instead of as a book, which means no bookmarks >:-( I will check the directory it's in on the Kindle Fire.

Thanks again.
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Faith Thaddaeus
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-thaddaeus.html

Post by Faith Thaddaeus »

Good Day, I have a problem with downloading the Kindle App as it is currently not available in my country. I an from Nigeria. Please what do I do?
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

smammen wrote:Did you try the solution above? Which one(s)--Option 1, Option 2, or Option 3?
Do you get some kind of specific error message? What does it say exactly?
What device are you using?
Have you ever been able to open a mobi file in the Kindle App on that device?
Any other details are helpful. :)

I've tried all the options. When I attempt to open in Kindle app on iPhone it says "Incompatible Document Type. The document you tried to send is not of a compatible format." I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus. I have no file manager on the phone. I plugged into computer. I can't find any files or folders on the phone to find downloaded items. I downloaded to my computer and tried to move it into the books folder on the phone through iTunes and the error message is as follows: "Yesterday.mobi was not copied to the iPhone "Shannon's iPhone" because it cannot be played on this iPhone." I've never tried to open a mobi file on the Kindle app.

Any help will be appreciated.
@smammen
Sorry for all the trouble.

You say you tried all three options. Can you describe in detail what happened for each option.

For Option One, what file manager program did you use?

For Option Two, you say you didn't find any folders? Are you sure you even connected to the phone? It sounds like the problem isn't that you can't open the mobi file per se, but that you are not connecting to your phones file and folder system at all.

For Option Three, you don't want to use iTunes. That's not part of the solution. You need to open the device in your computer's file manager, similar to what you do with a USB flash drive.

KatiRae
Currently Reading: Dragon's Kin
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katirae.html
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by KatiRae »

Did you try the solution above? Which one(s)--Option 1, Option 2, or Option 3?
2. Do you get some kind of specific error message? What does it say exactly?
3. What device are you using?
4. Have you ever been able to open a mobi file in the Kindle App on that device?
5. Any other details are helpful.

I tried all three solutions mentioned above as best I could. I am not sure I am doing it right, but I tried. Nothing worked for me. I am using an iPad 2 with the Kindle app. I also tried on my iPhone and my computer. I believe I have done one mobi file before, although I am not positive. Honestly, if possible, I would like to just not try to read this book anymore. I apologize but this has been a real pain in the neck and I am frustrated.
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”