Organizing books on Kindle Fire

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
tgallahan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Organizing books on Kindle Fire

Post by tgallahan »

Does anyone have any suggestions on organizing books on the Kindle Fire? I usually delete them once they've been read. I still wish Amazon would get on board and allow you to organize books/content out on the "cloud."
Swalka1991
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Night Shift by Nora Roberts
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swalka1991.html
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by Swalka1991 »

It would be really nice to have an option to organize books more than by title, author, or recent. What about genre? Read or unread? Bleh. They do let you use the cloud, but it's so banal there's almost no point. It's Amazon specific, too, so no books I bought through iTunes before getting my kindle can be transferred.

It's definitely an annoyance for me since I have a LOT of books. I think, if I had less, it wouldn't be such a problem, haha.
Lexiellent
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading: Boneshaker and City of Lost Dreams
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lexiellent.html

Post by Lexiellent »

Swalka1991 wrote:It would be really nice to have an option to organize books more than by title, author, or recent. What about genre? Read or unread? Bleh. They do let you use the cloud, but it's so banal there's almost no point. It's Amazon specific, too, so no books I bought through iTunes before getting my kindle can be transferred.

It's definitely an annoyance for me since I have a LOT of books. I think, if I had less, it wouldn't be such a problem, haha.

There is away to transfer your iTunes books with calibre but it takes a lot of time. I had to do that when I switched from a nook color to kindle fire, because copyright or not I paid for those books and shouldn't have to buy them again.

However, I do agree the lack of personal organization options is horrible, I'd be happy if they added in the read/unread categories along with a favorites for easy reread options. I would be over the moon if they made it possible to have a series option with sub sets for each series books, but I'm not holding my breath. Though I might send amazon a email concerning my issues with their lack of options.
PattyLouE

Post by PattyLouE »

I agree! I'm getting quite a long list that I have to browse through to find anything. Subset folders that can be labeled would be ideal (i.e. "Read", "Favorites", etc.). I also accidentally "purchased" in a giveaway by Beth Moore several that were in Spanish - I don't read Spanish! I'd like to delete those. I'm not even sure how to do that.
K_Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-robinson.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by K_Robinson »

I downloaded a "collections" app which is kind of like a bookshelf for all the books you have downloaded on your Kindle. I think it was a couple dollars, but I paid with it with the "free coins" I received when I got my Kindle. You can pick different shelves to categorize your books however you would like (I chose to keep it simple and label the shelves as 'uncategorized' and 'read once'). You can write notes about each book if you would like as well. I like to keep my unread books on the carousel and remove them when I am finished reading; and then move them to 'read once' in my collections app.

If you want to delete a book you just press and hold on the book. Options should pop up and click "remove from device" (You may have to remove it from your 'cloud' the same way).

Hope this helps :)
sybil1reader
Favorite Author: All crime authors
Favorite Book: Too Many to name
Currently Reading: CJ Lyons
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sybil1reader.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by sybil1reader »

Do you have the name of the application? Right now I can put my books into categories on my Kindle but that is so tedious. I guess once I add them to my collections tab I can delete them from the device but still have them in my cloud if space becomes an issue.
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
K_Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-robinson.html

Post by K_Robinson »

If you type in "collections" under the app search tab it should come up. It's the one that looks like a bookshelf with "collections" written across the top. If you choose to purchase it, it is $2.99.
Ariya
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ariya.html

Post by Ariya »

I would love to know how to organize the books on the bookshelf as well. It has been bugging me lately.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”