To Kindle or not to Kindle?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Aakaraw
Currently Reading: The Invisible Man
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aakaraw.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: To Kindle or not to Kindle?

Post by Aakaraw »

I have been using the amazon kindle app for quite some time now and am very happy with it. I don't think you need to buy a separate device for it, instead just downloaded the kindle app on your android phone and get to reading
CZCampbell
Currently Reading: Nighthawk: Sons of de Wolfe
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czcampbell.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by CZCampbell »

I love my kindle paperwhite. My dad bought me my first kindle in 2009 and I refused to even turn it on for a year. I felt as though I was betraying books and book stores! I finally cracked when someone told me I could get my college textbooks on them for free - and it meant I didn't have to lug around all of those heavy books! Slowly textbooks turned into travel books which turned into something I have near me everyday. I really love the lack of a backlight, however it does cause problems when trying to read in bed while my fiance sleeps. Problem solved: bought a little mini book light - works like a charm.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
BarryEM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BarryEM »

CZCampbell wrote: I really love the lack of a backlight, however it does cause problems when trying to read in bed while my fiance sleeps. Problem solved: bought a little mini book light - works like a charm.
You might want to look into the Kindle Paperwhite. It has a front light. That's entirely different than the light on a tablet which shines through the transparent screen and into your eyes, and disappears when you get out in the sun. The Paperwhite has an invisible coating over the front of the screen that evenly (very evenly) spreads light across the opaque screen so you're seeing reflected light, just as you are if you read by lamplight. It makes reading easy in the dark. I don't personally find that pleasant but a lot of people do it. And if you take it out in the sun it's still just perfect.

But even better, the light is designed to increase the contrast of the screen so it's easier to read, even in good light; hence the name Paperwhite.

You have to see it to understand how really well it works.

By the way, I'm not a Kindle shill. Kobo and Nook also have front lights and they're every bit as good. :)

Barry
HDoyle

Post by HDoyle »

I've had the Paperwhite for a while now and have no complaints. I love that I can read outdoors on my deck and don't have to deal with glare preventing me from being able to see the screen. The compact size makes carrying all my books around much easier - fits nicely in my purse and I can pull it out whenever I have time to spare (waiting for appointments, travel, etc.).
Day2cute
Currently Reading:

Post by Day2cute »

trace91 wrote:I am thinking of buying a Kindle but I have no idea which one I should get. I feel overwhelmed when I walk into a store and ask about the different models. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Hey ??!!! I have a kindle fire and personally I love it I can't travel with out it go to school or work with out it! The memory on it is phenomenal and I have over 1000 books on there. I don't no much about gaming on there the most I can endure is solitaire however if you want it for books to read or magazines to read the kindle fire is the one. The web browser sucks I know the new kindle browsers are better! I hope this help

Ddope
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I enjoy my Paperwhite Kindle a lot. I think it just depends on what you are looking to use it for. For example the Paperwhite Kindle that I have would only be used for reading, whereas you can play games and maybe even watch shows and movies on otherwise, although I am not sure of that one. I do know you can play games on other ones though. So it just depends on what your preferences are.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
kelly26
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly26.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Post by kelly26 »

I have the kindle app on my phone so I can read whenever I want. I have my kindle but done use it too often but if your just looking for something with books then the paperwhite is the way to go.
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni
Zoey
Currently Reading: Sharing Jesus
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-modern-moses.html

Post by Zoey »

Certainly to Kindle :D When I first purchased my kindle, I was nervous. I did not understand how such a low priced tablet could hold such quality. It took me a matter of days to realize that it is worth MUCH more than you pay for it. The reading experience on the kindle is quite enhanced. The page turning leaves your eyes thinking it is a print book, yet you still have the ache for the feel of the soft pages. I am a very hands on gal :) Aside from the page turning, the built in dictionary allow for great aid when reading both on and offline- no download required. It is already there! I am more impressed with this kindle than I have ever been with my Ipad. It is half the price and twice as nice! If you are considering a kindle, I would say go for it! It is worth every penny!
Never judge a book by its movie.
FireFairy
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=20590">A Court of Thorns and Roses</a>
Currently Reading: Deity
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefairy.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by FireFairy »

I got my Kindle for Christmas in my junior year of high school. Before my dad got it for me I was completely appalled at the idea of e-books and e-readers. I was completely convinced that paper books are better, and truthfully I love paper books way more. All that being said, I absolutely love my Kindle! I can borrow books from the library with it as well as get more free books than ever before, and when I really love a book I get it in paper for my collection. I have a Kindle Fire and use it for way more than reading as well. I have games, apps, and access to all my social media platforms; it's very entertaining. Another thing I love about the e-readers is that along with reading a lot of regular books I also read a lot of comics and manga and I have way more access to the second two with the e-reader. There are so many apps dedicated to comics and manga and really anything you could want, so it's been really helpful for me who loves to read all types of things.

If you get a Kindle then don't think you're neglecting paper books, because I thought that's what would happen to me, but instead my library collection is bigger than ever and filled with books I know I love. I don't regret getting my Kindle and it has lasted for four years for me already and is still going strong. There have been a few glitches in the past, but they are rare and have only been happening in the fourth year I've had it. I'm considering getting a new one, but for now my current one still works great. I would definitely recommend the Kindle Fire if you want a e-reader that can do way more than just read. If you want a reader strictly for reading I would use a different model. Good luck with your search and with your decision! :)
Mario Vanesto
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Mario Vanesto »

I'm glad I read this post. For a long time I was like what's the deal about kindle. But now I know better. Which is more expensive from all the typed mentioned above?
mochababy70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mochababy70.html

Post by mochababy70 »

If you just want to read books, than I would suggest the Kindle Paper White. If you want to do other things than I would suggest Kindle Fire 7.
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

If you are an avid reader, the Kindle Paperwhite is the best option. If you want to use the Kindle for internet purposes, as well as reading, consider skipping it all together and investing in an iPad or and iPod Touch.
DhlaminiN

Post by DhlaminiN »

To kindle or not to kindle sounds interesting I think I’ll grt myself one
SFarr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by SFarr »

I got a new kindle for Christmas. I like it much more than I expected! I like that I can adjust the font and screen brightness.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I'd say the model of kindle someone should get is at least the kindle paper white, so that you have the glare free screen. It does cost a bit more but its worth it, to be able to read it outside or even in a dimly lit room.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”