To Kindle or not to Kindle?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
gatorgirl_823
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatorgirl-823.html
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam

Re: To Kindle or not to Kindle?

Post by gatorgirl_823 »

I LOVE my Kindle Fire HD. It has great battery life, large amount of memory (unless you plan on filling it with apps) and love that I can put it in my purse and read anywhere.
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam
ml_kahan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ml_kahan »

I think it is best not to buy a kindle. For starters, wouldn't you rather hold the book and be able to turn the pages and have the connection with the actual book. I know for a fact that is much harder to refer to pages on a kindle than in a hardcover book. For example, If I have to do a research project and I read the book about a month before and I need to refer back to the book because I forgot where the story takes place, it is much easier to look in a hard copy.
Aaliyahlove
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaliyahlove.html

Post by Aaliyahlove »

I say kindle. I have the app on my phone, tablet and computer. I love the option of reading wherever I am. It beats having to carry around a book any day.
cathylambert
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathylambert.html

Post by cathylambert »

I love my Kindle but find it hard to read outside. Sometimes I will buy a hardback just to read outside!
JohnPriest

Post by JohnPriest »

I've read the posts above but just wanted to know if they really are any good in the sunshine? That's my biggest fear - take one on a beach instead of a paperback and find it can't be read. The Paperwhite is mentioned here, so I take it that this should do the job? Anyone 'beach-tested' it yet??
CMRingh
Currently Reading: Johnny Fracture
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmringh.html
Latest Review: "Johnny Fracture" by Waheed Ibne Musa

Post by CMRingh »

JohnPreist I have a Kindle Paperwhite and as a South Shore Long Islander I can attest to it's beachworthyness. As e-readers go, the Paperwhite is a near perfect device. I've found that it reads clearly in any light, or no light at all. It is super light weight and has a very long battery life. Though I agree with many of the posts above, and often revert back to hard copies simply for the love of books, this is as close as it gets to the real thing.
Latest Review: "Johnny Fracture" by Waheed Ibne Musa
seanthony01

Post by seanthony01 »

I would not recommend getting a kindle. I had a kindle and thought I would use it all the time but barely used it because I couldn't take it to school. Also the books are not that much cheaper and then if you get rid of it you don't still have the books. Lastly, I like the feeling of holding a real book rather than holding a tablet.
love2readbooks
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by love2readbooks »

I am thinking of buying a kindle fire or fire hd. Not sure which one would be better for me.
Keilman_H17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keilman-h17.html

Post by Keilman_H17 »

I absolutely LOVE my Kindle Fire!! It's great to be able to get comfortable while reading without fear of damaging your book and you can even read in the dark! It's not the same as getting lost in a book store and seeing all the books, but it's a way to quickly get new books without ever leaving your room!
daniellelynne
Currently Reading: We Have Always Lived in the Castle
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniellelynne.html

Post by daniellelynne »

I have the cloud and can only use it when plugged in the battery has only lasted for 10 min. since I took it out of the box
ifry
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifry.html

Post by ifry »

I personally just use the kindle app on my iPad, but the paperwhite is really appealing to me.
Tilila_bee
Currently Reading: Love at first roar
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tilila-bee.html

Post by Tilila_bee »

The Kindle Touch would be a good first time kindle. One of the best things I liked about my first Kindle was that it wasn't back lite. That meant that my eyes didn't strain like they would from looking at a computer screen or tablet for hours. The paper white is one of the newest Kindle's, but you have to adjust how much you have it back lite. That seems like a waste unless your planing to read a lot in the dark where it would be helpful to brighten your screen if you don't have a book light.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

For me, I wanted to try out a Kindle, but not necessarily spend the money on one since I love holding books and wasn't sure if I would use the Kindle enough or at all to justify in spending the money. So, when my parents asked what I wanted for Christmas a few years back, I said a Kindle, and I was able to choose which one I wanted. I am happy to have one (sometimes there are free/cheap eBooks that you can get on Amazon), but I definitely much happier in reading physical books :)
Threadend
Favorite Author: Sylvia Plath
Currently Reading: Hawkeye, Vol. 1
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-threadend.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 7000

Post by Threadend »

I love my Kindle, and would recommend it. I do still buy myself physical books depending on the context. But when it comes to other times the Kindle just makes reading so much more accessible. If you're someone like me who has fine motor skill issues or has weak wrists that can't hold things for too long, it makes reading painless and enjoyable. Also, its much easier to carry my kindle around with a bunch of books on it then a physical bunch of books. Traveling is easier, consuming literature is easier, etc. I enjoy it a lot. It's the best gift I've gotten.
dentonsd

Post by dentonsd »

I have a Kindle Paperwhite. I received mine as a birthday gift three years ago. I was against getting one, but now, I love it! It's perfect for traveling, and my family is frequently on the go. I can easily slide it into my purse. Plus, I often like to stay up late and read, and my other half wants to go to sleep. Now, I can stay up and read without bothering him with the glow of the lamp. I put the Kindle on the lowest lamp setting, and it doesn't effect him at all.
I do have two elementary age children, and I won't get a Kindle for them. I still enjoy reading books with them and talking about the pictures in the stories. As they get older, I may look into a Kindle for them once they get into chapter books.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”