Paperwhite

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
JenaW84
Favorite Author: Depends on the genre
Favorite Book: Interview with the Vampire
Currently Reading: Seduction of Lady Phoebe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Paperwhite

Post by JenaW84 »

I want to get a kindle paperwhite. but I keep wondering if I should just skip that and get the kindle fire? help! idk which one I should get.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

If it is just for the purposes of reading, the kindle paperwhite is enough. The kindle fire is a tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
JenaW84

Post by JenaW84 »

gali wrote:If it is just for the purposes of reading, the kindle paperwhite is enough. The kindle fire is a tab.

do you own the fire or the paperwhite? cause if you own the paperwhite, I was curious about the light feature on it and battery life.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

JenaW84 wrote:
gali wrote:If it is just for the purposes of reading, the kindle paperwhite is enough. The kindle fire is a tab.

do you own the fire or the paperwhite? cause if you own the paperwhite, I was curious about the light feature on it and battery life.
I have the kindle touch (without the light). I don't need the light.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

JenaW84 wrote:I want to get a kindle paperwhite. but I keep wondering if I should just skip that and get the kindle fire? help! idk which one I should get.

I have a $200.00 Visa Rewards card coming for switching back to Time Warner Cable and I was considering whether to get the new Paperwhite or the Kindle Fire HD 8.9". First... there is a considerable difference in price, especially after you get the extended warranty and a Kindle cover,plus where my favorite/only reading spot is[my recliner] there is no room for a lamp, only the overhead light,and too many reviewers do not like the clip on reading lights,and since I do most of my reading for several hours at night,I really do need the lighted Kindle.
I have had the Kindle Touch for two years and totally love it for reading.I have never been one for hand-held games,even though an avid PC gamer,and not tempted in the least about watching movies/TV on an 8.9" or smaller screen,but you may feel differently.

Your decision should be based on first the money you have to spend, and second what would you want to use it for most? Read the Kindle forums at Amazon.For reading, nothing can beat the E-ink eReaders for comfort,so much different than the backlit tablets,like reading on a computer screen.My choice is the Paperwhite,which I will order as soon as I get the Visa card.
JenaW84

Post by JenaW84 »

booklvr62 wrote:
JenaW84 wrote:I want to get a kindle paperwhite. but I keep wondering if I should just skip that and get the kindle fire? help! idk which one I should get.

I have a $200.00 Visa Rewards card coming for switching back to Time Warner Cable and I was considering whether to get the new Paperwhite or the Kindle Fire HD 8.9". First... there is a considerable difference in price, especially after you get the extended warranty and a Kindle cover,plus where my favorite/only reading spot is[my recliner] there is no room for a lamp, only the overhead light,and too many reviewers do not like the clip on reading lights,and since I do most of my reading for several hours at night,I really do need the lighted Kindle.
I have had the Kindle Touch for two years and totally love it for reading.I have never been one for hand-held games,even though an avid PC gamer,and not tempted in the least about watching movies/TV on an 8.9" or smaller screen,but you may feel differently.

Your decision should be based on first the money you have to spend, and second what would you want to use it for most? Read the Kindle forums at Amazon.For reading, nothing can beat the E-ink eReaders for comfort,so much different than the backlit tablets,like reading on a computer screen.My choice is the Paperwhite,which I will order as soon as I get the Visa card.
thank you for the info! I think I may just get the paperwhite. i just need it for reading. I'm not into all that app stuff.
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by booklvr62 »

You are most welcome. :] Happy Reading!
robertcjgraves
Favorite Author: Too Many
Favorite Book: Too Many
Currently Reading: And the Mountains Echoed

Post by robertcjgraves »

I love my Paperwhite. I think the Fire is for people who want to play games and do non-reading stuff on it. I have an iPad for that sort of thing, and I LOVE my Paperwhite!
stephaniejean
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephaniejean.html

Post by stephaniejean »

I've had a Paperwhite for almost a year now, and I love it! It's very simple, perfect if you only want it for reading. The battery life is really good.. I charge mine once or twice a month, just depending on how much I use it. The light feature is a little backwards - it tells you to dim it when you're in a darker room and raise it when you're in a lighter room, which is the opposite of what you should do.. But once you figure it out, it's a nice feature. There are many levels to choose which one works best for you :)

As long as you just want it for reading, I think it's the perfect kindle! It's lightweight and it was pretty cheap on Amazon.

I know this was posted a while ago.. have you ordered one yet? What do you think about it?
kaylahar6
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahar6.html
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan

Post by kaylahar6 »

I think that the paperwhite is only for reading. If you get the fire, you can play games and do things other then reading.
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan
mochababy70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mochababy70.html

Post by mochababy70 »

If you are just going to read books on it then I would suggest a Kindle Paper White. If you want to do other thing then I would suggest a Kindle Fire 7.
kingslexasoh1000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119

Post by kingslexasoh1000 »

I would prefer a kindle paper white
:tiphat:
Ems174

Post by Ems174 »

I have been reading with a paperwhite for 5 years. The battery life without wifi is about abweek. When wifi is enabled it lasts about a day. I have to say that you whould think twice about buying one as the latest updates messed up my kindle. I have an error code that amazon says is unfixable. I have seen many complaints in the same vein on the net.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino

Post by jessinikkip »

I have the Kindle paperwhite and have for a few years and I love it! I can read for a couple weeks in between charging even with the light on full force and even with its age. If you're just looking for something to read on, the Paperwhite is excellent. The Fire comes with all the additions of a full tablet so it's a bit much if you'll just be needing the eReader portion.
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

Skip the Kindle Fire. The quality is awful, and the screen keeps you up at night. If you need an e-reader, the Kindle Paperwhite is absolutely worth it. I have had mine for about four years now and it's as good as new. Also, the battery lasts for hours and hours. A Kindle Fire's battery life does not compare.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”