Official Review: Modify Destiny by Bill Higgins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Modify Destiny by Bill Higgins

Post by e-tasana-williams »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Modify Destiny" by Bill Higgins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Modify Destiny is the surprising new science fiction thriller by Bill Higgins. It opens with Reuben Garrett, a member of a clandestine CIA organization referred to only as "the project". He has been charged with destroying an old tape recording of President Kennedy meeting with members of the project who have been tracking extraterrestrial visits to Earth. The project members have plenty of historical evidence of UFOs and the Extraterrestrial Biological Entities (EBEs) they carry, but their mandate is to make sure the American public continues to believe aliens don't exist. The less ordinary citizens know, the better. The project's job suddenly becomes trickier when the whole town of Ramps, WV witnesses multiple sightings in one week.

One of the witnesses is Dave Reed who works for the CIA's Message Watch Office. When he goes missing for two days after having visited Ramps, he lands on the project's radar. Upon returning to work he is told he must submit to a specialized polygraph technique in order to keep his job, and he complies. What Reuben and the other project members learn from Dave's special session changes the way they think of EBEs forever.

Modify Desitny is a great book. It is well-written and riveting. The style is less X-Files and more Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Mr. Higgins draws from his inside knowledge of the CIA and other government agencies to write believable characters and scenes. He captivates his audience with a tale that builds in quiet intensity until the climax, which will have readers wishing they could read faster to discover the outcome of the story.

The tale is not all intensity. Mr. Higgins includes some comic relief with the character Tater Potts. He is one of the UFO witnesses living in Ramps, WV and is Reminiscent of Randy Quaid's character in the movie Independence Day. There is also a bit of clean romance included, as Shelby Potts (Tater's sister) and Dave venture into a relationship while Dave is in Ramps.

Sci-fi fans will love this book, and be surprised at the climax and the unexpected ending. Readers who prefer lots of action and combat scenes in their science fiction may not enjoy Modify Destiny, as it is a quiet thriller.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is engaging, and appears to be professionally edited. I look forward to reading more from Mr. Higgins.

Modify Destiny
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like e-tasana-williams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Sounds good. Glad it appears to be professionally edited and has an unexpected ending. Thank you for the great review!
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

Great review!
Sounds like the sort of book I'd really like. I think I'll add it to my bookshelves.
Well done.
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

A really great review. Seems like a good book as well. Thr cover caught me as well. I have added it to my bookshelf.
And congratulations to the author for getting such a great review. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:

Thank you! I really enjoyed this book...it was unexpected and thoroughly enjoyable.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting science fiction. I have read several books about UFOs and extraterrestrial beings and not all of them are as enjoyable as I hope. This book, however, sounds like something I would enjoy. Good job on the review. Congratulations to Bill Higgins on such an obviously well written book.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:

Thank you. Yes, there are some disappointing sci fi books out there. I hate to choose one only to find caricatured aliens and over-the-top, totally unbelievable events. I end up feeling like I'm watching Mystery Science Theater 3000, but in a bad way! This book had none of that. Happy reading!
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Post by Rachel1019 »

This sounds like an incredibly interesting book. I like that it is a thriller, but has more substance behind it. I can totally appreciate the author who has experience in this area writing about what they know.
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! This sounds like an intriguing story. I like your characterization of the book as a quiet thriller, since I don't like books with too many combat/action scenes.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Good job on the review! I don't usually read science-fiction but this book definitely sounds like something I would find interesting.
Utpal K Khot
Currently Reading: Green Lady
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Utpal K Khot »

One of the best Novels.
C9ngrats on being the BOTD
13Vulpes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-13vulpes.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by 13Vulpes »

This book could be good but I think that it isn´t for me. I like aliens and sci-fi but I don´t like conspiracy much. But the review is pretty good. It saves me time and disappointment. Thank you.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

Great review! It relieves me that it was most likely professionally edited. The storyline sounds very interesting and right up my alley. Thanks for your review! I am adding this to my to read list!
Madison Degraffenreid
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Great review, I loved the preview enough to want to download a copy. Great choice for the book of the day today.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
chrisann2780
Favorite Author: Colleen Coble
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrisann2780.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
fav_author_id: 5369

Post by chrisann2780 »

Loved the review which influenced my decision to download the book. Really enjoy books about extraterrestrials, sightings, and cover ups to keep the public uninformed. Am looking forward to a great read. Congrats on this book being chosen as BOTD!
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”