Has anyone switch fully to eBook/iPad reading?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
AnnaWins
Bookshelf Size: 0

Has anyone switch fully to eBook/iPad reading?

Post by AnnaWins »

I'm starting to enjoy the process of getting books on my iPad and reading them instantly. I definitely don't want to stop buying books from my local used book store, but this is getting addicting.

Anybody else venturing more and more into the iPad world?
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I have a Nook, not an iPad, but I have no interest in reading a book except for on my Nook. If I had a book on my shelve that I wanted to read, I would probably just download it onto my Nook over the internet rather than read the real copy.

My Nook is the Nook Simple Touch, which has the e-ink display. The iPad and other tablets have the backlit display. I have never had one of those, so my hesitations about them may be unfounded. Nonetheless, I am shocked how realistic the Nook screen is to real book paper, but still better in terms of being easier for me to read since it is clearer and I can adjust the font and font-size easily at any time.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
tonya10057
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: honest illusions
Currently Reading: The next always
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by tonya10057 »

I have a nook color,not a ipad,I still like to read paperbacks though.
mouseofcards89
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoevsky
Favorite Book: Notes From Underground
Currently Reading: Precipice
fav_author_id: 9263

Post by mouseofcards89 »

I do 95% of my reading on my Kindle. The only exceptions are if a book is unavailable via the Amazon store, or if online retailers are selling it for a price equal/greater to the shelf retail value.
"The world is a vampire/sent to drain/secret destroyers hold you up to the flames/And what do I get for my pains?/Betrayed desires, and a piece of the game."
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

If I were to buy for my Kindle all the books I read I'd have one hell of a bill from Amazon. So I will continue to use the library, borrow & lend from friends and colleagues and purchase from second hand shops and occasionally will still buy from the regular book stores. But in honesty I do think the e-readers are here to stay
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Booklover83

Post by Booklover83 »

Having read physical books until recently I have to say I cannot fully switch. I like the feel of a book in my hand but I just got a Kindle for Christmas and I love that already too. I think my Kindle will be for odd books that I cannot find and especially for classics as they are free from the Kindle Store. I enjoy both honestly. :)
Yee
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: Taming Natasha
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by Yee »

For me, nothing beats the feel of touching a paper. I've tried before reading on Kindle, ipad but that kind of experience is totally different and weird as you stare on the screen.

And yeah, just one more thing. I like arranging my collection of books neatly displayed on the shelves :)
I'm convinced that about half of what separates the successful entrepreneurs from the non-successful ones is pure perseverance. - Steve Jobs
wall-e54
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: Lord of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Help

Post by wall-e54 »

Because I read so much and so fast, I tend to use ebooks because they are more portable. I do buy a physical copy if the book is for a class though, since it is easier to flip through when writing a paper or studying, etc.
Jssherr

Post by Jssherr »

I read exclusively on my kindle or my IPad. I travel so it is a great convenience for me.The ipad feels like a book because of the side by side page configuration...It's also backlit which is a great feature. I couldn't be without either. I'm hooked!!! Of course instant gratification is a plus...books downloaded in minutes...Love it all!
JAJACKSON
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: Wind in the Williows
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by JAJACKSON »

We had a house wife a couple of years ago, thus I lost almost all my books. Those that were saved were then flooded when a pipe 'leaked' near where they were stored. Almost funny. I plan to move to the eBook platform in 2012 and thus protect my collection. I have still not decided on which to get, Kindle, Nook, etc etc
James
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

JAJACKSON wrote:We had a house wife a couple of years ago, thus I lost almost all my books. Those that were saved were then flooded when a pipe 'leaked' near where they were stored. Almost funny. I plan to move to the eBook platform in 2012 and thus protect my collection. I have still not decided on which to get, Kindle, Nook, etc etc
James
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
JAJACKSON
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: Wind in the Williows
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by JAJACKSON »

LOL - house fire - See I need an editer !! - I will try to fix it !!!! OMGosh too funny - Wife was headed to work as I was typing...
Deedeekay60

Post by Deedeekay60 »

I only read on my iPad. I love that I can get books through the Nook and Kindle apps (whichever is cheaper), plus I borrow books from the library quite a bit. I also occasionally listen to downloaded audiobooks (mostly from the library). I read more now that I can get books without running to the store or library. I now have a ton of books added to my B&N, Amazon, and library wish lists so there is always another book to download and read in an instant. I love Nook's free Fridays and Kindle's daily deals. It opens me up to books/authors I probably would not have bothered with. I enjoy the entire e-book experience.
booklover13

Post by booklover13 »

I do it on A Motorola Xoom. Ive switch, but kinda miss the good old book, cause the lcd screen hurts my eyes after a while!
Christine80
Currently Reading: A Storm Of Swords

Post by Christine80 »

I have a Kindle and I love it! I take it with me everywhere and since I have started using it I do read alot more. I also like that I can just download what I want to read.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”