Has anyone switch fully to eBook/iPad reading?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Aivlys
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aivlys.html

Re: Has anyone switch fully to eBook/iPad reading?

Post by Aivlys »

I haven't switched completely to digital books yet but I'm on my way there. I buy new stuff full price digitally only. Stuff that I pick up very cheaply as a physical book gets read once - then one of 3 things happens, I buy it digitally if available cheaply, I send it off to be scanned, or if I don't think I'll want to read it again, I donate or pass it on.
jillyshub52+
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Currently Reading: Revival
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillyshub52.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by jillyshub52+ »

While I do love the instant buying and downloading capabilities of the eBook/iPad reading and it has saved my butt several times when I needed a textbook for class but I can't completely switch to it because the screen causes strain on my eyes. It's not just the brightness, I know I can adjust that, but there is something I can't quite explain about screen features that makes me feel physically ill and uncomfortable.
lydiaprice

Post by lydiaprice »

I alternate between ebooks and regular books. Sometimes it's nice to just hold a good old fashioned book in my hand and read!
jkclay1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkclay1.html

Post by jkclay1 »

It's nice sometimes, but I still would choose a good ole hard back any day. Something about holding a book in your hand in enchanting and you feel proud when you can see how far you've come by looking at the top which is more exciting I feel than seeing a percentage of the book that's been read.
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."
-Benjamin Franklin
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I'm still surprised by the number of people who have an ebook yet still prefer to read paper books. I am reading a paper book right now (for editing purposes), and I'm finding it totally mendokusai! Japanese has the best words... it's like troublesome, annoying.
fmetheny

Post by fmetheny »

While I use my Kindle constantly, I have not converted solely to e-book form. There is something special and nostalgic about holding the physical book in your hand, smelling the paper, feeling the letters on the page, that makes me not want to give it up completely. My kindle is a space saver and much more convenient when traveling though. So, I use both forms but I am never without a book either way!
jnoel0908

Post by jnoel0908 »

I have been using my kindle exclusively for pleasure reading, and I have to say, my wrists are growing weaker by the day........love it.
AKTuminello
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aktuminello.html

Post by AKTuminello »

I haven't read an "analog" book in about 5 years. That includes all the texts necessary for my Master's Degree-completed in 2012. I became so enamored with e-books that I learned how to make a solar charger out of an Altoids tin...just in case of a zombie apocalypse.:)
Immanythings
Favorite Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Favorite Book: Night PLay
Currently Reading: Assessing English Language Learners
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 3137

Post by Immanythings »

Hello Everyone

I have a Samsung tablet and I like that I can read my vampire, were, and other-worldly books in private. Some of the covers are racy and would be uncomfortable reading these inform of my kids. But them I have the classics I like to read that should never be in eBook form, like Jane Austen and Anne Rice. For the convenience of taking many books to several places all at once tablets iPads, kindle and other e-readers are great but for the classics not so much.
Night reader
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-night-reader.html

Post by Night reader »

I rotate between both depending on the setting of that day/ time in moment.
MitchellDCalhoun

Post by MitchellDCalhoun »

Fully switching to ebook reading is not possible because all books are not available in the form of ebooks and some books are needed to be read as physical books.
megg1088

Post by megg1088 »

I have a kindle and since I switched I have started reading so much more- its so easy to get a new book. I find it easier to hold and love that I can go from my phone to the computer to the kindle and its remembers where I am. Definitely worth the $80 that they are listed at now.
Immanythings
Favorite Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Favorite Book: Night PLay
Currently Reading: Assessing English Language Learners
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 3137

Post by Immanythings »

megg1088,

I have both kindle and nook apps on my tablet and you are correct getting new books are a breeze. I still enjoy the feel of a physical book from time-to-time though. The smell of a new book is still an amazing thing!!
sweetly_twisted
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetly-twisted.html

Post by sweetly_twisted »

I read only on my tablet, even for school. I haven't read a physical book in over a year. :)
rebeccamcivor0202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccamcivor0202.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by rebeccamcivor0202 »

The majority of the time I would read on my kindle and I absolutely love it!! But there are those days when I begin to feel nostalgic and have to find solace in the confines of a paperback :) Just to reminisce of the good old days!! Ill probably read mainly on my kindle until the day they come up with a more efficient and effective way of reading but I still think I'll always carry around with me my favourite paperbacks for the odd stroke of the spine and that unique smell that I can never find elsewhere.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”