Has anyone switch fully to eBook/iPad reading?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Has anyone switch fully to eBook/iPad reading?

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I have a Kindle and I have quite a few titles downloaded to it, but I love physical books and will never completely stop buying them. If I really, really enjoyed a book, I will most definitely buy a physical copy.

A couple of weeks ago, I was reading an article on the Internet about the finite availability of the metals that are used to make all of our portable devices. I can't remember the title of the article, but the gist was that software companies are going to have to find ways to make our current devices more durable and upgradeable (is that a word?), or otherwise we'll have to keep relying on more traditional sources to get our information, such as physical books. Sorry for rambling so much, I guess my point is that there is a good chance that ebooks won't completely replace physical books for quite some time.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
LSWS07
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lsws07.html
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland

Post by LSWS07 »

I always read books simultaneously on my iPad and in physical form. I noticed that I'll read books on the iPad at a ratio of 10:1. I love actual books, but if your focus, like mine, is on the written word, then ebooks are just easier. I have never panicked when I find chocolate bits on my screen!
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland
onlinershub
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by onlinershub »

AnnaWins wrote:I'm starting to enjoy the process of getting books on my iPad and reading them instantly. I definitely don't want to stop buying books from my local used book store, but this is getting addicting.

Anybody else venturing more and more into the iPad world?
Yes, for me it would be more flexible if I download ebooks in my Ipad, very easy to access and not a bulky thing anymore. You can enlarge the text, but sometimes the problem is when you are run out of battery.
MaryMathis

Post by MaryMathis »

I am trying to change my reading to eBook/iPad but I can't, because I am unable to read fast and comfortably on screen. But I am increasing time of reading on my iPad now for making it a habit.
Cenna
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cenna.html

Post by Cenna »

I pretty much only read on my iPad now. I had another ereader but the screen is a lot smaller and I just prefer the way the app and books work on my iPad so much more than any other ereader I've seen.
Nikki313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikki313.html

Post by Nikki313 »

I love the convenience of having an instant digital copy, but I have not been able to switch. I enjoy having the physical book. I know this will sound silly, but being able to see how close your getting to the end always makes me finish the book faster.
lizj97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizj97.html

Post by lizj97 »

I don't have an iPad but I get all my books on my reader now and have been doing this for some time now. I find this to be a very pleasant experience since I can get more books into my library this way versus physical books. I can also carry all my books with me when I travel instead of having to pick a book or two to put in my carryon bag. I can even add books on the go if and when I want to so I never run out of something fresh to read. I definitely love this new process.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

I have had my Kindle for about a year. It took a bit of an adjustment, but now I much prefer it to physical book. I have since read a few paperbacks and all the while wished they were on my kindle. I actually have a few paperbacks waiting to be read right now, but I have a feeling I will just buy them for my Kindle instead. The convenience is just unbeatable. I am now terribly annoyed if I can't add new words to my vocabulary builder while I read and by the extra bulk of traditional books.

However, reading Harry Potter on my Kindle just isn't the same. I will always read those from my personal collection!
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

Yes, I have an iPad and I read all books on it :)
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
Poly
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poly.html

Post by Poly »

I'm more than satisfied with my Kindle&phone reading combo. I don't think I'll return to reading paper books any time soon.
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

I read my ebook on my iPad, but i use it only if there's no choice. For example, a book might only be available in ebook on the online library, or a particular book is only published in ebook format. I much prefer paperbacks. I tend to skim/skip when reading ebooks.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
ctravis01
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ctravis01.html

Post by ctravis01 »

Nikki313 wrote:I love the convenience of having an instant digital copy, but I have not been able to switch. I enjoy having the physical book. I know this will sound silly, but being able to see how close your getting to the end always makes me finish the book faster.
That's so true for me as well. Sometimes it's better to have the physical copy but I've read a lot of digital copies I'd have never read if not for ease of access.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I don't think I could ever switch fully to ebooks. You can't beat the feeling of browsing a library, and coming home with a few physical books. It's like receiving a bunch of gifts. I have a whole process. I come home and then, one by one, admire the covers and read the back cover's quotes from other authors or reviews. IF I go to a bookstore, I revel in the process of selecting which books to buy. Looking at the New Books section is exhiliarating. So....no, I could never give up physical books in favor of ebooks.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

I have a nook but I love real paperback books and the real of them although I will admit my nook is more convienent.
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
ladiibug

Post by ladiibug »

I have a Kindle, iPad & iPad 2, and Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. I love ebook reading on either one of those. It's so much easier to carry those small devices and the power cords. They fit nicely in my pocketbook.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”