Nook vs. Kindle

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
whitbreezyy
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitbreezyy.html

Re: Nook or Kindle?

Post by whitbreezyy »

I've had both a Nook and a Kindle, and I like the Kindle better. I just got a Kindle Paperwhite, and I love it! I've never wanted an e-reader to download games or get on the internet. I have a laptop for that. I just want one that I really enjoy reading on and that can give me quick access to books. I would recommend the Kindle to anyone. Not to say I didn't like my Nook, but I just prefer the Kindle.
Evee_

Post by Evee_ »

mking625 wrote:I got my Nook Tablet my sophomore year of college. While I still use it often and suppose still have an attachment to it, I've getting the feeling that I might be better off with a Kindle. A friend of mine has one and it seems like there's much more that you can do with it than a Nook (especially with being able to read free ebooks).

So, which is better?
This is me right now. I've had a nook color and currently have a nook tablet hd+ and I've been seriously thinking of getting a kindle but I'm undecided.
TheOnionFlower

Post by TheOnionFlower »

I've had a Kobo for a few years, one of the early versions that first came out. In Canada Amazon is still not willing to let users download digital library books so I won't be buying a Kindle until that changes.
bullshop1

Post by bullshop1 »

Kindle probably the best gift I have ever received.
AslansCompass
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aslanscompass.html

Post by AslansCompass »

I have a Kindle Fire because I already had several free Kindle classics and didn't want to re-load them from Nook.
KathyT

Post by KathyT »

I have neither one so far..
LIUBROOKLYNmom

Post by LIUBROOKLYNmom »

I have a nook, but I now have an IPAD now. I am also a amazon prime member so I can get free books too, but I mostly just buy.
LoisRyan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loisryan.html

Post by LoisRyan »

I have a Kindle Fire (the original one). I had an off brand tablet and accidentally broke the screen plus it kept freezing p on me. I went with the Fire because K-Mart had it on sale and they have a year-round lay away. So I got the Fire. They also had a Nook equivalent of the Fire for about the same price and it took a while to decide. i guess there really is no difference. I do like the Kindle because I can take out books from my library.
verymuchmeg
Favorite Author: Kirsten Miller
Favorite Book: The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern
Currently Reading: The Brontes by Juliet Barker
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verymuchmeg.html
fav_author_id: 22721

Post by verymuchmeg »

I have a Nook Color, and I was very excited to get an e-reader a few years ago. Then, once I got one, I realized that I didn't really like it that much, so when my husband (who got the same one I got) broke his and B&N refused to honor the extended warranty, because they "couldn't find the number in the system" even though we were able to produce the original purchase receipt with matching serial numbers, I happily handed mine over and it became his. He uses his Nook Color all the time and loves it. I prefer my paper books because then I'm not throwing away money on e-books that I will want a paper copy of to add to my collection anyhow.

That said, there seem to be a lot more e-books available to Kindle users than Nook users.
LoisRyan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loisryan.html

Post by LoisRyan »

I am surprised at the cost of e-books. I would think they wound be cheaper than traditional books. I sometimes find a free Kindle book through Amazon and use the library for many more. There are also some sites where you can find free downloads. Not sure of the legality of those sites.
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by allesha »

I've never tried a Nook but I sure love my Kindle!
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
Brybear28
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brybear28.html
Latest Review: "Passive Income with Android" by Raj Patel
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Brybear28 »

Kindle
Latest Review: "Passive Income with Android" by Raj Patel
flowergirl4801

Post by flowergirl4801 »

I am so low tech. I say neither. There is just something about holding a book in your hands, smelling the new pages, feeling that first crack in the spine! Call me old fashioned.
MichellemyBelle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michellemybelle.html

Post by MichellemyBelle »

Kindle Fire!
carol_klavon
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Goddess</a>
Currently Reading: The Future Has An Ancient Heart
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by carol_klavon »

I had purchased the most basic Nook (as I was on a limited budget & Barnes & Noble did not have a payment plan in place at the time) with an anti-glare screen. I have to say, the main thing I was disappointed about was that the slot where the plug was to be inserted for recharging the device stopped working properly after only 1 week. I bought a replacement plug only to have it not work. So, it wasn't the plug, it was an internal mechanism inside the device itself. After some months of being without an e-reader, however, I realized I really needed one. So I went with the Kindle Paperwhite E-Reader. I was able to not only get the anti-glare screen included, but also the backlight, which made for very easy reading in pretty much any lighting. Also, Amazon had an installment plan, so it didn't break the bank.

You don't really need something like a Kindle Fire, though there are some excellent features on that device as well. For purchasing e-books from Amazon, and updating your Goodreads account, I would recommend the Kindle Paperwhite E-Reader. They come in different colors as well.

While I love to read regular books, my ability to read certain print has become more and more difficult as I have gotten older. Also, some of my favorite books are no longer in print, but available as an e-book. Also, it is fun for me to have a virtual library of my favorite books at my fingertips...it's light-weight and allows you the privacy many people with regular bound books do not have (you know how some people MUST know what you are reading).

It's also very easy to link up between your Amazon and Goodreads accounts.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”