Is it worth getting a ebook reader?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Re: Is it worth getting a ebook reader?

Post by Hadiqa »

Definitely yes!
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
Janik
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janik.html

Post by Janik »

I find that is worth it when traveling and you want to read multiple books, its suitable to carry off files and Microsoft word files and there are just more positives than negatives in my opinion.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

I got my first Kindle about a year ago. I never thought I would convert to e-readers, but it seemed like a good decision for my travels. I couldn't love it more! I am torn between being upset that I didn’t get one sooner and glad that I waited for the paperwhite. I love the convenience - it is so small that I can now easily carry my books with me anywhere I go! And I do, I don’t go anywhere without my Kindle now! I love the compilation of my highlighted passages. I really love the vocabulary building features; they are increasing my vocabulary much more efficiently than reading ever has before. I also can’t imagine my Kindle without the back light and I am so glad I spent the extra money for this feature.

If you love reading enough that you want it to be more easily integrated into your daily life, an e-reader is the way to go!
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
tamato
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamato.html

Post by tamato »

eBook reading is like having a library at your fingertips, why wouldn't that be awesome?
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

It depends on what you prefer. I sometimes like using a Kindle Paperwhite because it doesn't have glare. Other times I prefer using my Nook because it's like an iPad AND it's an e-reader. I mainly use physical books because I like building up a collection.
I am a free spirit
like mafia
cwforeman

Post by cwforeman »

I absolutely adore my ereader. It's an older model so it doesn't do anything fancy or have a back light, but for me it's perfect. I recently made an emergency move across the country. I had to spend $400 shipping books, clothing, etc. But I was absolutely ecstatic with my ereader because without it I would have been either leaving behind hundreds of books I couldn't afford or shipping hundreds of dollars worth of books.

My favourite feature on my Kindle is being able to make notes and highlight. I'm a very strict person when it comes to my books so I've never had this opportunity before. Love it.
Soreta

Post by Soreta »

A definite must have!

Have all your books with you at all times
No more damage to your precious paperbacks when traveling
No more 'can I borrow your books' never to be returned
Instant download when a new book is released

The list goes on on and on, but I think you get the idea.

One last thought though: People often think that e-books will replace the real thing. Don't let that sway your decision. There is a place for both in our world and having an e-reader is very convenient but holding and smelling that book is a luxury that will be passed down for many more generations to come.
martha
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martha.html

Post by martha »

It is I just read what I can on my computer. I do it that way to finish books faster. If they were paper I may forget to read them a lot.
Tabbycat42

Post by Tabbycat42 »

Love my Kindle. Thousands of books at my fingertips whenever I want. I take it with me everywhere. The only con that I can think of is that you can do so many other things with your device, like search the internet or play games, sometimes it is distracting.
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

I moved last year to Angola and I REALLY had to buy a Kindle because here books are a rare thing, so my only way to buy books is wirelessly. Best purchase ever, I'm not even kidding. I can't live without it. The same way people can't live without their phone, I can't live without my Kindle. I love it too much.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
jillyshub52+
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Currently Reading: Revival
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillyshub52.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by jillyshub52+ »

I think it's worth it. Especially, if you happen to be traveling to a destination without any internet access and you have limit space in your bag to carry. If you have limited arm strength to carry several books at once as well. It is very worth it.
Tayner01
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayner01.html

Post by Tayner01 »

Ha Ha... This is a good one. I got a Kobo for Christmas a couple of years ago and prior to that I was strictly in the 'books are better' club. They smell better, feel better, you know how far you are through the book etc. Then I got my Kobo... No more reading under a torch trying to not wake my husband, no more lugging 6 books with on holiday, no more going to the book shop or library to get a new book ( which i still quite like) Don't get me wrong I LOVE new books. But my e-reader is sooooooo convenient!!! How did I survive without it?
wendymm
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendymm.html

Post by wendymm »

Personally, I do not like them. I really need to have a book in hand. There is nothing better than the scent of a book in bed :)
freelancer101
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freelancer101.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by freelancer101 »

To be honest I have never owned a Kindle until very recently and I have been loving the reading experience so far. I have read books in their physical forms for the most part of my life, with using computer, phone and tablets every once in a while but I definitely like reading books on e-reader now. It's hassle-free, portable and very convenient to use. I'd recommend buying one. Though considering the time stamp on the post, you have had many generations of e-readers now!
MitchellDCalhoun

Post by MitchellDCalhoun »

Ebooks is a good option for reading books because of easy availability. It is good for travellers because if someone is in china at the point of time and he wants to read a book by and specific English writer then he can easily get the particular eBook.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”