Is it worth getting a ebook reader?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
DickDatchery
Favorite Author: Shakespeare
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment [Dostoevsky]
Currently Reading: The Bleeding Edge [Pynchon]
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickdatchery.html
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
fav_author_id: 9655

Re: Is it worth getting a ebook reader?

Post by DickDatchery »

I wasn't sure I would ever read on an electronic device, but now that I have a tablet I can see some great advantages. For one thing, almost all of classic literature is available for free. If you are cheap like me, or have had problems in the past with a book being available at the library when you want it, it is great to fire up the tablet and instantly get the book. If I love it and want to re-read it I can buy a hard copy.

I still prefer reading a physical book--it just feels more comfortable and intimate--but e-reading has certainly claimed a spot in my reading life.
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
shurbooks_com
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shurbooks_com »

definitely YES. Althought i still love the smell of paper books...
Reshmi
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Our Lady of Alice Bhatti
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reshmi.html

Post by Reshmi »

Paper books are of course the best option. But in this world where both time and space are decreasing everyday, I would prefer an ebook reader which will help me save both.
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

Personally I think its a waste of money. I don't mind reading on my laptop or my phone. But everyone's preferences are different.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
Sciadoe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sciadoe.html

Post by Sciadoe »

I have a tablet which has the ereader built into it and I love it! I'd never completely abandon paper pages all together but I love the convenience of the ereader and ebooks. If I don't have the time to go to the book store or if I haven't been able to find the book I want to read it's so easy to search for it and download it onto my ereader. Like I said, I love mine.
alex_
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex.html

Post by alex_ »

Yes, what I like is that you can keep so many books in one place, I just love that.
Kristin Schaefer

Post by Kristin Schaefer »

I think it is. I prefer my iPad over other ebook devices because it's more versatile. I'll always have books and I'll always be buying physical copies of books for my personal Library, but ebook readers are really useful for certain situations.
pagenumber394
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pagenumber394.html

Post by pagenumber394 »

It is for me.

I use the kindle for books I either do not care to have the copy of, or am not sure I will like or not.

Most of my hardcopies are part of a series.

I like my kindle paperwhite because I can take it anywhere without having to worry about bending the pages.
NJ Slater

Post by NJ Slater »

I hate the concept despite the irrationality of that thought. I even have several novels published as ebooks which makes my opinion even more absurd but there you are.
Lina3

Post by Lina3 »

Yes! I got mine over a year ago and its been my constant companion ever since.
midgetgem
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midgetgem.html

Post by midgetgem »

I was always against eReaders because I'm old-fashioned and I like to curl up with a good paperback. Also, an eReader doesn't save any money because you have to buy the books to download as well as the eReader, and the downloaded books are the same price if not more expensive than the physical copies.
However, these eReaders can store thousands of books, and they are all collected into one space. I have a Kobo, WHSmith's eReader, and I download free ebooks or choose some when I have discount vouchers, which I am emailed regularly. This way I can keep all these books that I wouldn't normally buy from a bookshop in one thin device, and it takes up a lot less room in a bag than thousands of books would! It is perfect for travelling, especially on long-haul flights, as it can be easily stored in a bag without taking up too much room so it can go everywhere with you, and you can be reading multiple books at a time.
I still love reading my paperbacks, but I think eReaders are a great purchase and definitely worth it, as long as they aren't too expensive (Kobos are very cheap, especially the ones that are only used for book reading and don't have the option to download apps. I have the Kobo Lite and it is simple and easy to use, and only cost me £30).
Reading lady
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-lady.html
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Post by Reading lady »

I think you can see from the comments that an eReader is a great investment not only because of all the features but also because it cuts down on the cost of your books mist of the time. They don't give away free paper books! The volume of free Ebooks is astounding. Even $1 or $2 books is still cheap!
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M
DlVERGENT
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dlvergent.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by DlVERGENT »

Am I the only one who feels like it's harder to read on a screen?
CloudedRune
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloudedrune.html
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by María Escobedo Cubas

Post by CloudedRune »

DlVERGENT wrote:Am I the only one who feels like it's harder to read on a screen?
Not at all, I agree with this. I guess I've partially gotten used to it but I still find it easier and more comfortable to read from physical pages.
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by María Escobedo Cubas
DlVERGENT
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dlvergent.html

Post by DlVERGENT »

ladyleopardy wrote:
DlVERGENT wrote:Am I the only one who feels like it's harder to read on a screen?
Not at all, I agree with this. I guess I've partially gotten used to it but I still find it easier and more comfortable to read from physical pages.
Right? When I read I want to hold the book, feel it, be able to flip through the pages, it's harder to do that on an ereader.

I'm just not comfortable with reading on a screen.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”