Is it worth getting a ebook reader?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
amber200419
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber200419.html

Re: Is it worth getting a ebook reader?

Post by amber200419 »

Yes I have one it saves on space for you books and if you travel you don't have to worry about carrying around big bags of books. I also still have books in my house.
JenniferBoyce
Favorite Author: Jared Diamond
Favorite Book: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferboyce.html
fav_author_id: 3301

Post by JenniferBoyce »

I'm sure that by now you've already decided whether or not an e-reader is worth it for you, but for me an e-reader is a must!

I have always been one to love the smell of a book, to love holding a book, and to love reading a book, but I just couldn't resist the ease of an e-reader. I constantly found myself lugging multiple books to school, in case I finished one and then didn't have anything to read. *gasp* Obviously lugging around a couple hardcover books got to be a drag so I began to research e-readers.

Boy was I surprised when I discovered that the Kindle Keyboard could hold roughly 4,000 books! Imagine, 4,000 books in my backpack... I knew right then that I would purchase a Kindle.

I didn't realize how wonderful the Kindle was until I had owned it for awhile. Not only was I able to carry around multiple books with me at school, but it was beneficial in so many other ways as well. I will list all of the benefits below to make things easier.

1. The amount of books you can carry at one time
As I mentioned above, it's wonderful to be able to carry a hundred books with you at one time with only the weight of a paperback book. You will never again be left without something to read.

2. Highlighting
I personally hate to mark up books. I always feel like such a bad person whenever I am forced to highlight or mark up a book in some way for school. With a kindle (or other e-reader) you can highlight and write notes in a text, then you can delete those notes at a later time. Now when a class requires me to write in a book, I can do just that without worrying about destroying a perfectly good book.

3. Discovering Classics
In the Kindle store many of the classics are free... yes free. Because those books were free I found myself downloading them and putting them on my Kindle, figuring I would get to them later. Once I finally got around to reading the classics, I discovered a whole new joy. I probably wouldn't have checked out the classics from the library or purchased them from my local bookstore, but because they were so easily accessible on the Kindle I found myself reading (and enjoying) them immensely.

Overall, I would highly recommend the purchase of an e-reader; they make reading so much easier and convenient in this modern age. But I wouldn't recommend giving up hardcopy books completely; there is still something enjoyable about holding a book in your hands to read it.
Kate_Emme
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-emme.html

Post by Kate_Emme »

Several years ago I was given the very first Kindle as a gift and I have to admit I really didn't use it for years. Something about having a book in my hands, turning the pages...that was reading for me. But about six months ago, I took out the Kindle again and started to find all kinds of free books via Amazon and I just love it now. It took some time to get used to but I really enjoy it now!
Swalka1991
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Night Shift by Nora Roberts
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swalka1991.html
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by Swalka1991 »

As someone who was once completely and totally against the idea of trading my paperbacks for a flimsy little ebook reader, I can say that it is absolutely worth getting one. I love, love, LOVE, being able to have more than one book right in the palm of my hand. Finish book 1 of a series? Well, here's book two already downloaded and waiting. I have a kindle, which has the access to the entire Amazon bookstore, and can find absolutely anything I'm interested in. It's fantastic.

Will I still pick up a paperback now and again? Oh, yeah. Creature of habit, and I know it must be so depressing for an author to hear that their printed book is sitting in storage because no one bought it. But will I ever be getting rid of my kindle? That is a big fat no!
Bookworm313

Post by Bookworm313 »

I must say, I can understand somewhat why people like the feel of a real book. It really is a different experience. However, I have had a Kindle (3G with keyboard) and I LOVE IT. It is an amazing device. I live in the middle of no where and my library does not have a lot of the books that I want to read. Being able to rent and buy books for download right on my kindle in less that 20 seconds is perfect. I have over 80 books on my kindle and my collection continues to grow. The screen looks like the page of a book and you can fit thousands of titles on the device. The ebooks are consistently cheaper than the hard copies of books and there is an amazing selection on Amazon-they have any book you have ever wanted. The battery life can last weeks (I can read for an entire day several days in a row and never have to worry about battery life). I would say it is DEFINITELY worth purchasing. The Kindles are not even that expensive anymore, which is also a plus. They are extremely lightweight and can be read outside without tons of glare on the screen like on my iPad. Although, the iPhone and iPad has a Kindle app that also works well. I hope this helps you make your decision on whether or not to get an e-reader. :D
Bailers77
Favorite Author: Terry Goodkind
Currently Reading: The Scorch Trials
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bailers77.html
fav_author_id: 5284

Post by Bailers77 »

I am a huge fan of paper books, but I love my Kindle too. E-Readers make reading on the go easy because all you have to do is hit the power button and you are where you left off. And it is a lot lighter than a heavy novel. I usually end up getting books in both paper and digital formats. I highly recommend getting an e-reader.
Tito

Post by Tito »

Yes it is.you can read books any time you want without spending much money
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

Historically, I have been opposed to an e-reader, I am one of those persons who loves an actual book in my hands, the feel of weight, the smell of paper. And we do have quite a library here at home. However, after joining this site and wanting to do reviews, I am more than likely going to purchase a basic model, solely for review purposes. If I actually get approved and earn a few dollars at some point down the road, I can use it to offset my book obsession!
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
luvmybooks619
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luvmybooks619.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by luvmybooks619 »

I am "old school" and have always enjoyed the feeling of a "good book" in my hands....but I am also happy when I took the plunge and splurged on my Kindle Fire e-book reader!! I still love, and have, many books that I read without my e-reader, but for taking something on the go, it is great to be able to get a book right there and then, when you want it, and not have to run to the store to purchase it! I will always love my books, but I now love my Kindle also! For convenience, it is wonderful to have!
Inishowen_Cailin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inishowen-cailin.html

Post by Inishowen_Cailin »

If you read and buy a lot of books then an ebook reader is definately the way to go.
Lilianar_
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilianar.html

Post by Lilianar_ »

I think that if you're an active reader an E-book reader is a must ! I love having the solid copy of the book but sometimes I just don't have the time to go to the store or I'm traveling. I love my kindle fire, the books in the kindle store are cheaper than the solid copy's most times and I have the kindle app on my phone and laptop as well ! It's very convenient to have so much access to it ! As a college student, I don't like carrying unecessary weight around campus with already having heavy textbooks on me, so being able to pull out my laptop or phone and sit in the student lounge and read is amazing !
Nessie_Bookworm
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nessie-bookworm.html

Post by Nessie_Bookworm »

bookworm200+ wrote:I've heard some glowing reviews of ebook readers and some really bad reviews. I've read the pro's and con's of ebook readers but I'd like to know what the community thinks. Is it worth getting a ebook reader?

I think having an e-reader is definitely a plus. It's mobile, small and you can pack there all your favorite reads and carry them wherever you wish. What would be bad about it? Only thing that may keep you off buying one, is the high prices in some cases. But there are low prices too. Do a good research and you'll find the best one for you.
I intend to buy one as soon as I can. :P
jfkwok
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfkwok.html

Post by jfkwok »

I'd say yes. I objected when a family member gifted me my Kindle a few years back, but I have to admit that it's convenient and much cheaper, especially when I travel. It's incredibly handy to be able to pull up a book at anytime without having to lug it around (and I can devote that luggage space to souvenirs and food). Of course, the issue is that I can't convert physical copies of a book into e-books, but it's not that big of a deal. It doesn't hurt that I feel a little more environmentally friendly when thinking about all the paper that was saved.
Brybear28
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brybear28.html
Latest Review: "Passive Income with Android" by Raj Patel
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Brybear28 »

I, myself have different opinions on eBook readers at different times. Personally, I would rather have a hard cover book in my hands that I can manually turn the pages to, but I understand the convenience of an eBook reader and would certainly advise that you get one or add the Kindle app to your smart phone or tablet. This way when you go on vacation, you don't have to being more than one book with you if you're almost done with your current read. It's definitely much lighter than carrying a bunch of books. And in the long run, buying an eBook is much cheaper than buying all of the same books dull priced.
Latest Review: "Passive Income with Android" by Raj Patel
MichellemyBelle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michellemybelle.html

Post by MichellemyBelle »

Yes so many pros in having one. Accessibility of so many genres and authors. Not to mention the storage capabilities of all your books

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”