Is it worth getting a ebook reader?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
bookworm200+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Is it worth getting a ebook reader?

Post by bookworm200+ »

I've heard some glowing reviews of ebook readers and some really bad reviews. I've read the pro's and con's of ebook readers but I'd like to know what the community thinks. Is it worth getting a ebook reader?
Jssherr

Post by Jssherr »

If you travel a lot, it's a must! If you want a book immediately without going to the bookstore, It's a must. If you want to archive all the books you've read, you've got that too. If you find a word and you need a definition, you've got that in seconds! AND there are many more features.....
I have had a kindle since the first one came on the scene, and as you can see I love it. People say they like the feel of a book in their hands..no argument there if that's their attitude. I quickly got over that and can't be without my kindle!

-- 02 Dec 2011, 10:44 --

I forgot to add they are very affordable now so check out all the e-book options!
bookworm200+

Post by bookworm200+ »

Thank you! You've been really helpful! I think I'll see what a few other people think before buying.
"Books and reading are the very foundations of life itself." ~ bookworm200+
lincolnp

Post by lincolnp »

I LOVE MY KINDLE! It does not totally replace actual books, but I can't live with out it. My only difficulty is when I use the kindle to read a book for the book club I am in. If someone refers to a specific page, I can't refer back to it. I can highlight passages that I find significant, however I cannot go to the highlights specific for the book I am reading, I must forward through them all. However, There is absolutely nothing that beats it for the ease in carrying it with you, and in being able to get books immediately. I have found that I am able to read classics like Les Miserables that I was unable to do with the actual book. It is not so daunting in size when it is on the Kindle. I have a very basic kindle and I am not sure of the performance factors of the more advanced models.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

My wife bought me the Nook Touch for my birthday and I love it. I probably wouldn't have bought it myself because I am cheap, but now I can see it is so worth it. I read more now that I have it because it so convenient and easy. The e-ink screen is clearer and makes it easier for me to read, especially at night with just my book light. For one thing, I like that I can adjust the font-size and type. There are many free books in the public domain which you can download for free. There are also free books available through Barnes and Noble using the Nook. The highlighting/noting feature is great as well. I love the fact that I can look at a list of all the passages from a book I highlighted or noted while reading and then jump to them with a click. This is especially useful when I want to discuss the book later on these very forums. I use to write my notes on a piece of a paper before I had my Nook, but I could lose the paper and besides it was much less convenient to take the notes and then to find the corresponding passages later on.

In the OP, you say that you have read about the pros and cons. But what are the cons? I cannot think of any at all. The only downside I guess is that you have to pay to get device in the first place. But $100 or so is so worth it. If you regularly buy books, you will probably save more than that almost immediately. I think I will eventually earn back the money even just counting the gas and time I no longer need to spend going back-and-forth to the library not even counting the occasional book I used to actually buy to read which also will eventually add up.

Hope that helps!
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
bookworm200+

Post by bookworm200+ »

Thanks Scott for your help. I'll definitely be buying one now! I just have one more question. What is the average price of different types of books? What is the price of a classic book or new release or other type of book? This is the main thing holding me back. I've heard many people say that ebooks are expensive and I've heard people say they are cheap. I don't want to buy a ebook reader just to find all of the books $20 and over.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

If you give me the name of a couple books I can check the price for you on my Nook. Amazon's prices are displayed publicly on their website, not sure if that is true with B&N.

I mostly read the free books. Like I said, I'm cheap. :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
bookworm200+

Post by bookworm200+ »

Thank you for all of your help Scott. I'm going to check out the Amazon site right now!
tonya10057
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: honest illusions
Currently Reading: The next always
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by tonya10057 »

yes it is definitly worth it,I have a nook color and love it,you can download books on there free from the library web site.
dlboker

Post by dlboker »

Definitely. I just entered the world of eBooks a few months ago. Ironically, I only started reading eBooks after publishing my first novel as an eBook. Shortly after that, my family (wife and children) surprised me with a Kindle. And there is no looking back.

I have many reasons for using a eBook reader, but one of them - specifically relevant to my situation - is that I live in a remote location in the Negev desert in Israel. Until now, I have ordered regular books through Amazon. They took about a month to arrive and the shipping cost as much as the book. Now I can purchase and download the book into my Kindle in a matter of seconds, and there are no shipping charges.

David
Patty061

Post by Patty061 »

I am very pleased with my decision to purchase an e-reader. I was very hesitant as I wanted the feel of actually holding the real book. After several months however, I love my Kindle and just used the new Kindle Fire which is in color. I watch for e-book bargins and am now able to download books from our local library. I would definitely recommend an e-reader for it's convenience and ease of obtaining books.
love_aud
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha
Currently Reading: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by love_aud »

I really love my Kindle, I use it a lot. I take it everywhere, and read on it when ever I have the time or nothing to do. It fits in my purse a lot better then a book does and I don't have to worry about the pages getting all bent!
Love Audrey, future photojournalist/writer :)
Timpane

Post by Timpane »

I have had a kindle since the first one came on the view, and as you can glimpse I love it. People state they like the seem of a publication in their hands..no contention there if that's their attitude. I rapidly got over that and can't be without my kindle
ex3mist

Post by ex3mist »

For me the ebook reader is a great facilitation! Easy to use and above all, you can bring with you as many books as you want.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Here in Ireland our largest book retailer/wholesaler has put an e-reader display & demonstration stand in the centre of their flagship store ... that just about says it all.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”