Is it worth getting a ebook reader?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
sammypt11
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Is it worth getting a ebook reader?

Post by sammypt11 »

Hello fellow readers! I personally love the feeling of turning a page. I feel a sense of accomplishment. I also can't see the point of paying that much to read something online. But, the convenience factor has me calling. Is it worth it? If so what are my cheapest options?
ParaDice
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paradice.html

Post by ParaDice »

Ebook readers are about the greatest thing an advid reader can own. I have a tablet with the Kindle ereader app and since I've gotten it about six months ago I have read more then 100 books and have downloaded countless others. I have an eye problem that affects my ability to read regular print books and often large print books are harder to find and sometimes cost more. Since I have an ereader I can adjust my text to suit my eyes and not have to worry about not being able to enjoy the content because of blaring or hard to identify characters. This has been much eaier on my eyes and has allowed me to read all types of books as when I was young. Another great thing is that since I carry my tablet just about every where I go, I can read any time I ahave a few minutes. I don't know what I would do without my ereader.
AlphaSirius

Post by AlphaSirius »

If you wants to do less paper work then ebook reading is a good option for you. It saves paper and time.
sand1
Favorite Book: mara daughter of the nile
Currently Reading: grey wolves series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sand1.html

Post by sand1 »

I like both . I love my kindle for night reading because I don't have to turn on a light and it doesn't disturb other people as much I used to have a reading light and this is much more convenient, also if I don't have time to go to the library or bookstore I can still pick out something new to read. I also like sampling the books before I buy them. It is a little annoying to have to hold them the way I do otherwise the page changes direction. I can say that nothing beats a book though and I still read actual books when I can.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

I love the physicality of paper books, but I find e-readers eminently more practical and resourceful. Eventually I'll probably get one, but I'll hold onto paperbacks for now :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
littleboo50
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littleboo50.html
Reading Device: B009A9SV6M
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by littleboo50 »

I held out, refusing to get one, thinking there was no way I would like an e-reader. It simply just could not replace a book in any way. Then my mom bought me one for my birthday. My husband hates it. He threatens to throw it out every time he sees it (lovingly of course)! He has no idea when I have finished a book and started another. He insists it is a never ending book. I did not believe I would like it, but I was so wrong! I love it and can not live without my e-reader now. I can take it anywhere and no one knows what I am reading. When I finish a book I can download the next instantly and continue! It has also broadened my author list incredibly. The free e-book sections are addicting and I have found many new authors to enjoy. Don't get me wrong, I still love my books and still purchase hard covers of my favorites.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

In a simple word: absolutely, yes! :shock: I know, it actually took two words. Bah! ;) :) :lol:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Hailey_Gardner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailey-gardner.html

Post by Hailey_Gardner »

I am Actually thinking about getting an e-reader but am having a problem with which one to choose.
Right now I'm reading on my Surface Pro 2 on an app, but it's so bulky and I sometimes lose my hold and drop it on my face while reading at night.... :oops:
I'm really looking for something light weight, affordable, and good quality. Also something that won't hurt as bad if I drop it on my face... :oops:
So does anyone know which kind of e-reader would be best?
WritingLegend
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writinglegend.html

Post by WritingLegend »

I like books I can stock in my library, gives it that extra touch :D
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Hailey_Gardner wrote:I am Actually thinking about getting an e-reader but am having a problem with which one to choose.
Right now I'm reading on my Surface Pro 2 on an app, but it's so bulky and I sometimes lose my hold and drop it on my face while reading at night.... :oops:
I'm really looking for something light weight, affordable, and good quality. Also something that won't hurt as bad if I drop it on my face... :oops:
So does anyone know which kind of e-reader would be best?
I recommend the Kindle. I have it and think it is great.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kelseyvalentine
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelseyvalentine.html

Post by kelseyvalentine »

I think it makes reading more accessible and convenient. I like being able to take my nook on vacation with me instead of traveling with bulky books.
KiwiKaylee90

Post by KiwiKaylee90 »

Yes, yes, and yes! I avoided it for so long, and now I only wish I would have gotten one sooner!
nsharpes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nsharpes.html

Post by nsharpes »

If you travel a lot then I would say its worth it. They hold a lot of books and they are really light. Also, they are good if you like to read novellas or short stories.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

How else can you easily carry an entire library with you? :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Allison
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allison.html

Post by Allison »

I think its more than worth it. I generally prefer Hardback books in particular and I love paperback as well. But when it comes to travelling abroad or even across the country, I find it so easy to whip out my kindle and read on a plane or in a car without the bulk of a book. I also find its accessibility useful with regards to having so many books to choose from all at the same time. I don't know what I would do without my E-Reader!

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”