Reading on your smart phone

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Reading on your smart phone

Post by Vermont Reviews »

I love reading on my smartphone.
sonipat
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sonipat »

I try for this but it's not interesting and not easy.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>

It's what I use. I love it.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

I love reading on my phone. It's light and the app I use has settings to adjust brightness, font size, etc. The best part is that I just seem like I'm reading messages or something while I'm reading in public.
LOutlaw
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by LOutlaw »

I have not tried reading on my mobile because it seems too small and I feel that I would be constantly turning the page. I do love listening to audio books, especially when the when the narrator is good. I listen to audio books when cleaning house, driving long distances, and sometimes when at work.
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

I don't know what phone you have but most phones give you a text area considerably wider than a newspaper column. I read years ago, I don't recall where, that newspaper column width was determined as the result of studies to determine ideal width for fast reading. If that's true it still might not be ideal for novel reading but it surely must be okay.

Barry
JanDem21
Currently Reading: Slow Burn Torrent #5
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jandem21.html

Post by JanDem21 »

I have a big phone so, I've grown fond of doing so. Plus that way you always have a couple of good books with you
readinreed
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinreed.html
Latest Review: "WICK" by Matt Doyle

Post by readinreed »

I really like reading on my smartphone, but I've encountered an interesting problem - it generally means I can read anywhere at anytime, which sent my reading habit from several hours a day to reading morning, noon, and night. I had to make a deal with myself to only read on my Kindle or iPad since those devices generally stay at home.
Latest Review: "WICK" by Matt Doyle
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

I've been reading almost exclusively on Kindles for years till a few months ago when I tried reading on a phone. My idea was to read on the phone only for a month and then decide if I liked it. I did and so far I haven't gone back to the Kindle, although I won't consider this a settled issue till I read for a month only on my Kindle and then decide.

I do read more now. My eyes get a little more tired from it but I've learned to take more breaks and that helps a lot.

I have a few different phones, none of which have service. I have a free simple phone from Medicare that i make calls on. The others are only used for reading and with my home Wifi.

The reason for several was that I wasn't sure what I wanted, having no experience with smartphones so I bought a few of them when they went on sale. All were very cheap phones but all have screens with plenty of pixel density so they're sharp.

For the most part I find myself reading on a ZTE Zmax 2 and a 2nd generation Motorola Moto E. The Zmax has a 5.5" screen and the Moto E has a 4.5" screen. I find that for reading I really don't care which I use. Both are excellent. But the larger screen on the Zmax is better when I answer emails and such, using my Wifi at home. Either phone works for that but the larger screen makes it easier.

On the other hand the Moto E is more comfortable in my shirt pocket, being smaller. Whichever phone I'm using lives in my shirt pocket from the time I get up till bedtime. One of these days I'll figure out which I prefer. :)

My best phone, a Nexus 5, is the perfect compromise. It's big enough and yet comfortable in my pocket. It has a better screen. But it's my only fairly expensive phone and that makes me nervous carrying it all day. Also it doesn't get as much battery life as the other two, although since it has wireless charging that's not a major issue. But it's the one that has to be charged mid-day. The Moto E goes all day no matter how much I read and the Zmax will go 2 or 3 days between charges.

Barry
MFleisher
Currently Reading: Walden
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mfleisher.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MFleisher »

I have read books on my smartphone but I do not prefer it. I find using my phone for too much gives me a headache and is a strain on my eyes. I use the Overdrive app from my library on my phone to choose books, but I read them on my Kindle.
critical consumer

Post by critical consumer »

I like to be able to go between phone and kindle, since I always have my phone on me, it is a little too small to be my preference, but I always have it on me, so it becomes, by default, my most frequent reading device.
LydiaTheBookReviewer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydiathebookreviewer.html

Post by LydiaTheBookReviewer »

I disagree with reading on a smartphone, the text is too small and it hurts my eyes
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Before I got my kindle paperwhite, I used my phone to read from and it never bothered me. Still do it occasionally when I don't my kindle with me.
Vermont Reviews

You can adjust the settings for the lighting on the app.
angelsfantasy26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelsfantasy26.html

Post by angelsfantasy26 »

My ebook reader of choice is my Iphone. I have the Kindle app and since I have my phone on me at all times I always keep at least one book on it. I say one book but in reality I have about 100 on it. The only thing I don't do with it is read in the tub. I am so clumsy I prefer to have a paper book in my hand just in case I drop it.
"Evil is a point of view. God kills, indiscriminately, and so shall we. For no creatures under God are as we are, none so like him as ourselves." - The Vampire Lestat

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”