Reading on your smart phone

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
melbuhtoast
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melbuhtoast.html
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn

Re: Reading on your smart phone

Post by melbuhtoast »

I've dabbled with reading on my cell phone, but I've found that I get fatigued really quickly. Not only that, but I find that I continuously need to turn the brightness of my screen down the longer I read, and then when I go back to using my phone for every day things, I have to turn the brightness back up. It may also be that my phone doesn't have awesome battery life, but reading for too long really sucks up my battery power.
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn
ncreads
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ncreads.html

Post by ncreads »

I lost my Nook so I downloaded the Kindle app on my phone to review ebooks on and it works quite well. Although, nothing will ever beat holding a physical book in your hands, the feel, the smell, the turning of pages.. ahh, I definitely prefer physical copies but my phone works for ebooks.
aliba12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by aliba12 »

I do not like it as the words are really small! I use to read from my ipad :)
hughes2

Post by hughes2 »

I have tried reading on my smartphone before but found the text size awkward. The standard size text meant I was only reading 2-5 sentences before turning the page again but when it was made smaller it made my eyes hurt to read on such a small screen. I didn't delete it though because as others have said it is very convenient when on trains etc. :)
THunter08
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thunter08.html

Post by THunter08 »

I used to be against reading anything other than a real book. That was until I decided to actually check out some e-books on my smartphone. I found one that sounded great. Once I started, I couldn't stop. I legitimately didn't want to sleep. It was easy to curl up with my phone just like I would a book and it didn't hurt my eyes like I originally thought it would. I was able to start and stop when necessary without worrying about a bookmark or dog-eared pages. The best part for me was that I never have my phone far from me so if I had to sit around waiting on something, I was able to read.
C S Harper

Post by C S Harper »

They are making it really easier to read on smart phones now because the phones are much larger. It's really not that bad reading on the phone anymore. But I still prefer using a tablet. My phone's battery has a short life span so I prefer saving it for other things. I prefer a dedicated reader to read on.
KNewton
Favorite Author: Not possible to list
Favorite Book: Not possible to list
Currently Reading: A Bone To Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knewton.html

Post by KNewton »

Although I love holding and smelling a real book, reading on my phone or iPad mini tends to be much more convenient simply because they go everywhere with me.
[*]How Fear of the Unknown Hinders the Development of Informed Decisions by Dr. Seuss[*][/color]
cittin5
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cittin5.html

Post by cittin5 »

I love that I can find almost any book I want on my phone. What I don't like is that when I'm reading and the phone is a little side ways the screen changes and it takes for ever to change back.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Smartphones are way cooler than people imagine, right? Picture yourself with the phone you have now five years ago...

I don't always read novels on my smartphone; do it mainly for reading short stories, novellettes, and novellas at short fiction mags like Tor.com and Strange Horizons. But I admit completely changing my method of reading books to this wouldn't be hard. There are many benefits to using your Smartphone to read.

You can do it anywhere: abed, on the john, in the middle of the dessert, whatever. You get the idea.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
Miss_A

Post by Miss_A »

I've read on my smart phone before. Don't like it though because the screen is just too small.
mountaingirl8
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mountaingirl8.html
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by mountaingirl8 »

I have tried it as well. But my Android was just too small. I like reading on tablets or reading print versions the best.
c_medina
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-medina.html

Post by c_medina »

It is becoming easier now that phones are increasing screen size
pmerride
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pmerride.html

Post by pmerride »

I have the Kindle app on my iPhone. I love that it, like the iBooks app, has the option to swap the colors of the text an the background, so the background is black and the words are white. It's great for nighttime reading, but even during the day when I sometimes forget to switch it back to normal, it seems like it's easier on my eyes.
elsagomes

Post by elsagomes »

I read on my phone a lot, basically everyday, it's better for me because I usually read at night before I fall asleep and it's better so I don't waist electricity (:
jen_the_hen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-the-hen.html

Post by jen_the_hen »

Reading on my phone is one of the most convenient things. Whenever I have a spare minute I pull it out and read whatever book I'm working on at the time, even if its only for five minutes. I like having the availability of being able to read any book in my elibrary. Also the way you can change the screen color is awesome, especially at night.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”